Our group of nine, mixed handicap ladies had a good time at Cottesmore. We go away for a couple of nights every year and try to go somewhere different each time. We played the Griffin course twice and then Phoenix on the last day. Griffin is the longer and probably more difficult; Phoenix is much shorter ( but some pretty long walks from green to tee). Both are very scenic with some magnificent ancient trees. The greens are not in very good condition and it must be said that both courses are a bit scruffy and in need of quite a lot of tlc. Bunkers are unraked and unkempt. Having said that there were some good holes. On the Griffin the 17th over water to a difficult sloped green was certainly a good challenge. Several of the par 3s on the Phoenix were also quite tricky even if short. Attention needs to be paid to some trees and shrubs. There needs to be severe cutting back in places.
The hotel likewise is definitely 3 star. The rooms are quirky. Mine, no 3 was a family room with a double and a single, a huge amount of hanging and storage space, a big bathroom (with balcony) and a separate toilet - nothing to complain about but like the course, generally in need of tlc.
The food was of a very high standard with two creative dinner menus and exceptionally good service by our waitresses. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order. All staff, from hotel manager, Lorraine, golf director Callum and catering staff were
efficient and helpful.
I understand that the owners have just taken back the management after 15 years of leasing out and that they intend to invest in refurbishment so some of the points above are likely to be addressed.
All in all it was good value holiday golf. (And the wall to wall sunshine we enjoyed certainly enhanced our experience!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Close to Gatwick Airport and business centres of Crawley and Horsham. 21 Room hotel and 7 log cabins, bar, restaurant, tennis courts, golf courses, swimming pool, gym and health and beauty spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Cottesmore Golf and Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottesmore Golf And Country Club Hotel Crawley
- Cottesmore Golf And Country Club Crawley, West Sussex