“Okay if you are using it to get your head down”
Review of Barrington Lodge

Barrington Lodge
Ranked #15 of 18 Crawley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2012

It's no spa retreat but it's just fine to get your head down and have some decent quality sleep. Taxi cost me 5 pounds to Crawley but I also walked it pretty quickly. Staff are helpful, pleasant, (Spanish i think?)

For 1/2 nights, it's fine. Breakfast is also okay, good cereal selection on the continental breakfast and the full English looked nice, but i didn't have it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very much as has been said by others. Tad difficult to find. Friendly staff. Simple and clean. Walls thin so snoring guests can keep you awake. Good value. TV and wifi fine. Didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on that. Would go back.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2012

was booked in by company as my driving hours were running out on approaching it through housing estate i actually drove away and phoned up company to check they'd given me the correct address as even the locals didn't know it was there had to mount the pavement to go down roads to it in places as not really suitable for large goods vehicles, got room after struggling a bit understanding girl on reception, was just nodding off when she phoned up wanting my vehicle moving ( technically making me break the law as was out of driving hours) then all i could hear were foreign voices all night underneath my room as obviously very little has been done noise insulation wise as i could hear everything, about 01.00 it went quiet as they went to their rooms but then could hear every movement in various rooms plus water running etc, then reception doesn't open again till 07.00 and no staff are available till then, our company pre pay with card details on booking but girl tried saying we might stop payment so needed an authorisation number or for me to pay myself till she could sort it out, this went on for nearly an hour with my company on phone to her, this resulted in me not getting all my deliveries completed, I've actually suggested that my firm invoices them for the time wasted and loss of buisness, we will not be using it again as i'd have got more rest if i'd slept in cab,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I was a little disturbed by its mixed reviews but due to the Olympics, we were unable to get a room nearer to Goodwood Festival of Speed [an hours drive away] so this had to do.
We arrived late afternoon and were met by the friendly receptionist, true to say English is not her first language but we had no communication problems, she guided us to our room. We stayed in room 302, a triple room with 3 single beds, it was clean and airy, though an odd shape due to it being in the attic.
For £30 a night each, the Barrington Lodge offers fantastic value for money, the only, very minor, gripe we had, was that the beds are very soft. To be fair, if they were any firmer, no doubt someone would complain they are too firm!
We decided to amble in to the town centre to find an evening meal, it takes around 15 minutes to take a steady walk. There are many choices to be had, we opted for a well known pub chain, after our meal we toddled back to the Barrington via the pub that backs on to it , the Half Moon. Suffice to say we only stayed for one drink, the miserable bar maid and "tired" surroundings didn't entice us to stay longer.
In summary, the Barrington Lodge offers good value for money for those who just want a clean comfortable room for a few nights. Do not be put off by it's strange location, in the middle of a housing estate!

Room Tip: All rooms are reasonably quiet due to the location, no aircraft noise considering how close Gatwick...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2012

If you are coming by train the hotel is about a mile walk from the station down Brighton Road or there are buses along the main road. I only stayed for one night as I was visiting friends locally and the hotel itself appeared clean and well maintained. My single en-suite room was not, of course, large but had everything I required and was comfortable (infact probably a little too warm at night). Cooked breakfast was £10 extra or there is the continental option for half the price. I would have given the hotel 4/5 but for the failure of the receptionist to be able communicate well in English.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Booked this place last minute having changed from the Gatwick Europa Hotel (all its bad reviews seriously put me off the more I read them!) and I’m so glad I did ,as not only was The Barrington Lodge actually cheaper, but it was just ideal for what I wanted.

The reason for my visit was the fact my other half was doing the London-Brighton Challenge so I needed to be in & around Brighton for Sunday morning. Because id left it so late though, nothing under £100 a night was available in Brighton itself so I picked Crawley since it was just a 30 minutes drive away.

It seems a little strange to have a hotel like this in the middle of a housing estate, but do not be put off! It’s just a few minutes off from the main road into Crawley and although the housing estate roads leave a lot to be desired (watch out for HIDEOUS pot holes!) , I had no problem finding the hotel with the aid of my sat nav AND having also previously checked out the area via Google maps too (I would recommend this tip whenever you go somewhere new – it really helps to familiarize yourself with the immediate area – makes finding places so much easier as you recognize it from what you’ve already seen)

I arrived approximately 3.30pm, parked my car in one of the ample spaces in front of hotel (not the other side where the grass it – these spaces are for residents that live nearby) and after checking in with the foreign but friendly reception girl and settling my £34.50 bill (I had an early start the next day, so I paid when I arrived rather than when I was leaving) , I made my way to my single room which was number 101, I believe.

It was just what I wanted – clean, cosy with the usual towels and toiletries to use should you need them. The bathroom looked fairly newly done with a large shower cubicle and there was also a TV with the usual channels and radio stations should you be like me and want some ‘company’ while travelling alone. The hotel does also offer food and drink – you can find a menu with prices in your room.

The afternoon was mine to do what I wanted with it, so I went for a little walk. As you come out the front of the hotel, walk left through the gap in the fence and you will be at the back of a pub called The Half Moon. I don’t normally like going in pubs I don’t know on my own, but I did here and it was fine. I didn’t feel I stood out and I actually got talking to a couple of the locals which made for a nice afternoon. They do food here as well which is handy and reasonably priced if you don’t want to eat in the hotel.

The hotel is also only about 5 minutes walk from Crawley Towns football ground, so handy for any football fans that might want to go to a game and stay over the night too. You are also only 15 minutes walk from the town centre too, so any wife’s and girlfriends can go shopping while the blokes go to the footie. There is also plenty of cycle paths, open fields and parks around, so if you just fancy a walk you can do this too!

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Barrington Lodge –it was the ideal place for someone like me travelling on my own. It might not be 5* luxury but it was a cosy, clean and friendly place, (all be it in the middle of a random housing estate) for a great price too and I would definitely stay here again be it for a flight from Gatwick, or another last minute trip to Brighton.

Room Tip: The only slight downside to room 101 at the front of the hotel was that the windows didn’t open very...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2012

the voyeuristic "pleasures" of listening to the couple in the the adjacent room having noisy sex. The room was a tiny shoe box with a less than comfortable bed. It soon became apparent that only a stud partition separated me from the room next door so I had the dubious pleasure of listening to their antics. Not funny. Of course I complained but "Sorry we are full".

What added insult to injury was the "Do not disturb sign" on the door handle of next door.

I know that the hotel isn't responsible for the antics of guests but they are responsible for the quality of the room in such a way that guests shouldn't be able to be disturbed by noise from elsewhere ....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business