“Overpriced and a bad attitude” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard London Gatwick Airport

Courtyard London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife
“Overpriced and a bad attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was extremely disappointed with the Courtyard by Marriott at Gatwick Airport. I stayed for just one night as I had an early morning flight the next day.

Everything about the hotel was either cheap, if it was provided in the room rate, or extortionately expensive if it was charged as additional. The toiletries in the room were cheap and scant. I had to go downstairs and outside to get a signal on my mobile and the air conditioning would not turn off so its noise disturbed my sleep.

There was a charge of £4.75 an hour for WiFi, even in the lounge and bar area. The small bottle of water in my room was priced at £3.50 and if I had wanted a cheese and pickle sandwich it would have cost me £6.75. I have no idea what the breakfast was like because it didn't start until 7.30am - long after I had departed for my early flight. What is the point of an airport hotel if it doesn't cater for early morning departures?

I also had an issue with some important travel documents which had been sent to the hotel by courier for me to collect but which took more than an hour and an irate telephone call from the person who sent them before they could be located.

I wrote to the hotel on return from my business trip to notify them of my concerns and to suggest they change their systems. The response, which took a week, told me it valued my feedback before going on to dismiss every complaint and finally congratulate itself on the initiative of its staff who eventually found my package. No doubt the hotel will now respond to this review in a similar manner.

I would not chose to stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor and had no signal for the mobile.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyMont
Varun S, Rooms Division Manager on behalf of our General Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel , we are sorry to hear that there were issues with your stay .
It is not possible to turn off the aircondition as all our rooms are sealed to keep out aircraft noise, this means that it is very quiet in the room, some people are more sensitive than others to mechanical noise/ air flow. There is no outside air coming in , the only way to have fresh air is by having the a/c on all the time. There are 4 settings , in economy mode the a/c cuts out but will come back on when the air quality is poor, too hot or cold.
As to the water in the room it is a litre bottle and is an additional service which nobody is forced to use.
We are in the process of updating our Internet at a cost of £30k from August 12th.
Breakfast is served from 6.00am Mo-Fri and 6.30 am Sat & Sun.
With reguard to your Travel Documents: The parcel did not have your name on it , so when you asked for it we could not find it , only when the sender Swiss Tourism called and told us what was written on the front of the parcel were we able to locate your parcel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Herts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at other Marriott hotels, I was eager hoping that this one would be of a good standard. However the first thing that greeted us as we walked through the door was a strong smell of fried food. The checkin process was quite slow, and the receptionist seemed more interested in selling us dinner than processing us as speedily as possible.

We had booked car parking also and found that I had to queue up again to process this part, which is not what you want after a long drive. The downstairs looked a bit grubby to me, and some of the guests also. The room was ok with no complaints there. In truth I guess it is what it is, it's a facility for the airport and as such the clientele are a little mixed and the hotel has no frills. Perhaps this is something the Marriott brand should consider if they wish to be associated with.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Varun S, varun singh @ kewgreen.co.uk at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is very valuable to us. We are sorry that you had to queue but we are a very busy airport hotel checking in / out 185 rooms daily. Car parking is handled by our colleagues at Maple Manor hence the need to hand the keys over to them.
We were surprised to hear that you could smell food cooking inside the hotel, the Kitchen extraction is up on the roof on the 6th floor, pending on the wind direction and air pressure , sometimes you can smell th kitchen odour outside the hotel but not inside.
Courtyard is a brand within Marriott and should not be confused with other Marriott brands, it's concept is to cater for business people and people going on holiday and you will find the brand in city and airport locations.
The Courtyard by Marriott offers you a contempory design and basic service offerings, this means that the Courtyard does not offer a Doorman, Concierge or luggage service, it has reduced F&B offerings (1 Restaurant ,1 Bar) compared to a Marriott , and only evening Room Service, instead the brand offers a 24hr Market.
There is no Leisure Club instead there is a fully fitted gym as well as only a small conference facility.
Inverness, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Easy walking distance to South Terminal. We were able to check in our luggage the night before and walk back to hotel to enjoy an excellent meal in the restaurant in the evening. A good place to start your holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eShuna
South West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel the night before an early flight to Venice. It is slightly further from the airport than I anticipated; a 10 minute stride but it is well sign-posted. I’m not sure how easy it would be to find in the dark as you do have to leave the airport quite a way behind you. There is a restaurant but it does not have a very inspiring menu. I called in at the Marks & Spencer’s in the airport and stocked up on a picnic to have in my room. I was sharing with my sister and we had two double beds in our sizeable room. The room was spotlessly clean as was the bathroom and the beds were very comfortable. It was quiet and we had a restful night. There was a bottle of water in the room but we would have been charged £3.50 if we had opened it! The Wi-Fi was not fee either. It’s a shame everything costs extra… the room itself was very reasonable at just £63 for the two of us. I would certainly stay here again for a stopover en route…

Room Tip: I had a ground floor room and it was quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JustBristol
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed for 1 night as part of a room and parking package before an early morning flight. Check in was efficient, the rooms were sleek and spacious, and for an airport hotel it was surprisingly quiet. The £3 charge for bus transfer to the terminal was a bit of a cheek, but the walk is less than 10 minutes even with suitcases (although it's worth noting the walk is exposed to the elements so maybe not so pleasant in the winter). On our return we arrived back at the hotel ahead of schedule but our car was ready and waiting for us. We stayed in the Hilton before but would chose the Courtyard by Marriot over the Hilton if we needed to stay at Gatwick again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BabyJon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Fantabulous hotel with great Staff. Stayed one night as we were off on honeymoon the next morning. Arrived expecting a normal run of the mill airport hotels and how wrong where we!! Beautiful hotel and we were upgraded without even saying we where on honeymoon. Suite was fab.....will stay here again

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank mrsboland
Chartham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here the night before our flight from Gatwick South in July.

The hotel is very clean and modern, with a bar, restaurant and impressive foyer.

We had pre-booked, so check in was fast and friendly. The room was large, with a very large bed and flatscreen television. The room had an iron, tea and coffee facilites and an ice bucket (ice machine in corridor). The air con was a tad noisy, but the bathroom was very nice with a large shower and basic toiletries.

I wouldn't recommend the transfer bus (£££) as you can walk for five minutes with your luggage along the footpath to reach the South Terminal quite easily.

The restaurant does averagely priced food but is good enough - there's an early bird menu too for those dining on a budget. You could always walk to the terminal and get some cheaper fast food if that tickles your fancy!

We did not have breakfast included in our package.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple