“convenient and comfortable”

Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is the second time we have used this hotel for overnight stays before a long haul flight. It is close to the airport and we have actually done the walk having just missed the shuttle bus. It takes around 10 mins pulling a case, the weather was pleasant and we have no kids so it was no problem for us. The hotel is bright ,modern and clean, the staff were very polite and professional. Breakfast was included which we found very nice with a good selection. Unless we get a great deal on the Sofitel the Marriott will continue to be our choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed her the night before our honeymoon, great location and reasonably priced for a nights stay and two weeks parking with the car being delivered back to us at the meet and great on our return all within the cost nice not to have to worry about get stuck in traffic on the M25 and M23 on the morning of the flight we've done it before and will defiantly do it again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Convenient location,pleasant staff but the noisiest bedroom ever been in. A continuous roar all night from either kitchen fans or a/c. Not the room a/c as this was switched off. Bit shocked at the £25 overnight car park charge. Comfortable bed though

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Varun S, Rooms Division Manager on behalf of our General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel this is much appreciated.
We are sorry to hear that you found our parking charges to be expensive, unfortunately the ground lease is very expensive around the airport, hence the parking charge, compared to the local competition we are very competitive.
We are also sorry to hear that you had issues with the aircondition unit, Our rooms are sealed and insulated to keep out the noise , this means that it is very quiet in the room, and some people are more sensitive to the mechanical noise/ airflow than others. There is no outside air coming in, therefore the only way to have fresh air coming in is by having the a/c on all the time .There are 4 a/c settings , in economy mode the a/c cuts off , but will come on when the air quality is poor or too hot/cold.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here prior to going away for 2 weeks. Parking was included for £150. When we arrived there was a large queue of people waiting to be checked in. After 20 minutes we checked in then was asked to stand in another queue for 15 minutes to hand our car keys in. We had dinner in the restaurant which was reasonably priced, but go to Gatwick Airport for breakfast as its much cheaper.

The rooms are small but o.k for 1 night.

Not impressed when we got our car back as we had to waiting for 25 minutes and when it did arrive it was filthy, god only knows where it has been parked - tip- don't wash you car beforehand!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Varun S, Rooms Division Manager on behalf of our General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is important to us, We are sorry to hear that you were kept waiting at check in, we do check 185 guests in & 185 out every day and sometimes it is unavoidable that we have queues, and longer than expected waiting times. We constantly review our check in / out process to find ways to speed up the process.
We were also sorry to hear that you found your car to be dirty when you returned after 2 weeks, but the air is dirty in and around the Gatwick area, cars are parked outside and I know from experience with my own car how dirty it gets in just a week. You also mention that you had to wait for your car, I do not know at what time you arrived but this may have been due to heavy traffic in the area.
Thank you again for your, feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, for which we trust will be an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Pros:
Location very close (5-10 mins walk) from LGW South Terminal
Comfortable, simple rooms
Quiet, despite being very close to airport

Cons:
Front desk staff had poor level of English - ironic given the number of countries that I have visited in the past few years that the worst English I have seen is in an English hotel (staff were not English though!)
Internet is very expensive and not in-line with competition (Premier Inn is much cheaper)
It would be nicer to have a proper Costa Coffee cafe rather than a vending machine!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JasonL4
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was extremely disappointed with the Courtyard by Marriott at Gatwick Airport. I stayed for just one night as I had an early morning flight the next day.

Everything about the hotel was either cheap, if it was provided in the room rate, or extortionately expensive if it was charged as additional. The toiletries in the room were cheap and scant. I had to go downstairs and outside to get a signal on my mobile and the air conditioning would not turn off so its noise disturbed my sleep.

There was a charge of £4.75 an hour for WiFi, even in the lounge and bar area. The small bottle of water in my room was priced at £3.50 and if I had wanted a cheese and pickle sandwich it would have cost me £6.75. I have no idea what the breakfast was like because it didn't start until 7.30am - long after I had departed for my early flight. What is the point of an airport hotel if it doesn't cater for early morning departures?

I also had an issue with some important travel documents which had been sent to the hotel by courier for me to collect but which took more than an hour and an irate telephone call from the person who sent them before they could be located.

I wrote to the hotel on return from my business trip to notify them of my concerns and to suggest they change their systems. The response, which took a week, told me it valued my feedback before going on to dismiss every complaint and finally congratulate itself on the initiative of its staff who eventually found my package. No doubt the hotel will now respond to this review in a similar manner.

I would not chose to stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor and had no signal for the mobile.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AndyMont

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel , we are sorry to hear that there were issues with your stay .
It is not possible to turn off the aircondition as all our rooms are sealed to keep out aircraft noise, this means that it is very quiet in the room, some people are more sensitive than others to mechanical noise/ air flow. There is no outside air coming in , the only way to have fresh air is by having the a/c on all the time. There are 4 settings , in economy mode the a/c cuts out but will come back on when the air quality is poor, too hot or cold.
As to the water in the room it is a litre bottle and is an additional service which nobody is forced to use.
We are in the process of updating our Internet at a cost of £30k from August 12th.
Breakfast is served from 6.00am Mo-Fri and 6.30 am Sat & Sun.
With reguard to your Travel Documents: The parcel did not have your name on it , so when you asked for it we could not find it , only when the sender Swiss Tourism called and told us what was written on the front of the parcel were we able to locate your parcel.

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at other Marriott hotels, I was eager hoping that this one would be of a good standard. However the first thing that greeted us as we walked through the door was a strong smell of fried food. The checkin process was quite slow, and the receptionist seemed more interested in selling us dinner than processing us as speedily as possible.

We had booked car parking also and found that I had to queue up again to process this part, which is not what you want after a long drive. The downstairs looked a bit grubby to me, and some of the guests also. The room was ok with no complaints there. In truth I guess it is what it is, it's a facility for the airport and as such the clientele are a little mixed and the hotel has no frills. Perhaps this is something the Marriott brand should consider if they wish to be associated with.

• Stayed: July 2013
Varun S, varun singh @ kewgreen.co.uk at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is very valuable to us. We are sorry that you had to queue but we are a very busy airport hotel checking in / out 185 rooms daily. Car parking is handled by our colleagues at Maple Manor hence the need to hand the keys over to them.
We were surprised to hear that you could smell food cooking inside the hotel, the Kitchen extraction is up on the roof on the 6th floor, pending on the wind direction and air pressure , sometimes you can smell th kitchen odour outside the hotel but not inside.
Courtyard is a brand within Marriott and should not be confused with other Marriott brands, it's concept is to cater for business people and people going on holiday and you will find the brand in city and airport locations.
The Courtyard by Marriott offers you a contempory design and basic service offerings, this means that the Courtyard does not offer a Doorman, Concierge or luggage service, it has reduced F&B offerings (1 Restaurant ,1 Bar) compared to a Marriott , and only evening Room Service, instead the brand offers a 24hr Market.
There is no Leisure Club instead there is a fully fitted gym as well as only a small conference facility.