“Best gatwick airport hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stay here approximately 10 times a year and it is the best hotel at LGW. Marriott quality everything. Cheaper than premier inn/other budget places. 10 min signed walk from S terminal or £3 bus shuttle. Breakfast/dinner/bar service all top stuff. Staff always first class never had a problem or complaint and I can be fussy! No pool/spa but they do have gym for gym bunnies.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. King size beds are great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always very motivating for the team and myself when somebody provides a positive feedback about their stay at our hotel. We do try to make everybody happy and to have a great stay, but unfortunately we don't always succeed, sometimes we make mistakes, quite often some guests don't inform themselves about what they have booked and are disappointed because they have a different expectation.
We certainly look forward to be of service to you again and the many thousands of people who stay with us every month.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I discovered too late that Marriott Courtyard is apparently the Marriott’s budget chain, not the Marriott itself - a mistake I will not make again.

It isn’t just the fact that this hotel is not “at” Gatwick airport but a mile away (£3.00 per person for the shuttle bus) down a badly lit path next to a busy road.

Nor the £50 compulsory additional fee for every customer for “charges you may incur.”

Nor the fact that even if you’ve booked online you have to give all your details again including email, phone and postal address.

Nor even the fact that at almost 11pm you can still be stuck in a long queue because there aren’t quite enough check-in staff.

It’s a bit of all of these along with the insincerity of the check-in staff’s customer service.

For instance, the laminated A4 explanatory note sellotaped to the reception desk which the check in person taps aggressively when you ask why they charge £50 on top of your room rate and why this may not be refunded for several days after you check out (it’s your bank’s fault, not the hotel’s, honestly).

So what’s this charge actually for?

It can’t be for the minibar (there isn’t one), it can’t be for room service (that only runs till 10pm so you can’t have anything even if you wanted to order a nightcap or a sandwich). It could, at a stretch, be for internet (for which the hotel charges a whopping £4.95 for an hour). But, no. The only thing it can be is just an extra charge that gives the hotel the chance to take more money off your card and refund it at its own leisure.

I spent 10 minutes queueing before spending another five minutes giving all my personal information, filling in forms that should have been pre-populated by my online booking and then showing my passport. At 11pm, which it is now, all you really want is a bed. But there’s more disappointment ahead. The room is so hot it’s like a sauna and when you switch the electrics on the fan comes on super-loud yet ineffective - guaranteeing you won’t be sleeping like a log. Far from it.

At least there’s a bottle of mineral water on the dresser. The label says “drink me for £3.50 - if you do not drink me, please tell reception.” That’s an opt out. How cheeky is that? So you’ll be charged that sum if you don’t tell reception. I decide to save myself the time at check out and call down - but the phone rings, and rings, and rings. I guess I’ll have to remember to tell them in the morning as I leave for the long walk back to the terminal.

I wanted to tell the receptionist but, of course, there was a queue to check out so I just left - I will have to hope that when eventually my £50 is refunded they do not charge me for the water I didn’t use.

A very poor experience, not one I’ll be repeating any time soon. Avoid.

Room Tip: If you book online early enough, the Sofitel (which is actually 'at' Gatwick rather than nea...
1  Thank kaymanisle
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been, but as often, if one forgets to inform oneself about a product before buying, disappointment can occur.
Marriott has 16 brands and they are all different. I would encourage everybody to do their homework before booking a hotel. We are not 1 mile away as you suggest, we are 700 yards or 600 meters away, which takes approx 10 minutes to walk. The path is owned by Gatwick Airport and they are responsible for all lighting arrangements in the vicinity and security.
A standard procedure in all branded hotels in the UK is to take a deposit from every guest at check in, to enable guests e.g. to use movies on demand, have your bar or restaurant bill charged to your room rather than to pay at consumption. There are on average approximately 400 new guests in the hotel every day and we need to establish credit to make it easy for all concerned. We are not actually taking any money unless there is a consumption. The banks will reserve this money, therefore your credit limit is reduced by the amount of the deposit. After check out your deposit is released by the hotel, unfortunately banks will not release the fund immediately and it can take up to 7 working days before this amount is available to you again.
I am sorry you had to queue, but unfortunately this is unavoidable. We are a very busy airport hotel where we have on average 185 check ins and 185 check outs every day as people only stay one night and depending how many people arrive at the same time. It will take you approx 5 minutes for a normal check in.
Unoccupied rooms have no heating or cooling, but as soon as you enter a room the air-condition will start operating and you can set your temperature and various other settings for your ease.
Yes we do have a bottle of water in every room at a charge for your convenience, as we don’t provide room service after 10.30pm. We do not automatically charge the water to your bill, we ask every guest at check out and if you check out without coming to the reception, we will check the room to see if the water was consumed before charging.
Once again please do accept my apologies and thank you for choosing Marriott Hotels.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here one night prior to a skiing holiday in Austria & left the car with them to park for a week - very good value by booking in advance - £98 all in! I paid an extra £17 for the 'meet & greet' whereby they brought my car to Arrivals once I had collected my baggage - very efficient - once I had realised I had to get out from under the concrete in order to get a decent phone signal. Room was clean & quiet. A short walk to South Terminal, or the regular shuttle. Hotel very easy to find after a trip from Devon. All in all very impressed - except for the beer prices...

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Another overpriced poor standard Marriot hotel. Yes its the usual Marriot standard, clean, comfortable, but every conservable thing is an extra charge from, car parking at £25 per night, jokingly asked at check out if I could take the tarmac with me, its cheaper to park in the short stay on site Gatwick multi storey. Bottles of water, wireless, shuttle bus to the airport, if this was a budget hotel I might be inclined to accept certain additional charges, but its not, its supposedly a quality upmarket chain, and this is reflected in the price. The food and drink are considerably overpriced for the quality, the reception staff are surly bordering on the rude, this is the third Marriott group hotel I've stayed in this year, which represented extremely poor value for money, I will be avoiding them in the future, maybe Premier Inn will be getting my business, at least I feel I get value for money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Computastar
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback about our hotel. I am sorry, but you
are misleading to quote that it is cheaper to park in the airports short term car park and I would advise everybody to go online and find out prices. Our parking charge is competitively priced compared to other Gatwick hotels. Everything you mention as a charge is charged by most other hotels as well. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been, but I would strongly advise to compare hotels in Gatwick before booking, so not to be disappointed on the day.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very comfortable bedroom with two large double beds - how nice for Britain!! Bathroom very decent if tiny, shame about the terrible lavatory paper though. But the main problem was the very mediocre restaurant, average food, waiting staff in JEANS (absolutely not acceptable), zero ambience. Also the checking in was a total farce, the two girls on reception had two speeds - slow and very slow, neither spoke English competently enough to be doing the job. Not funny hanging around for ages when you've been on a plane all afternoon and face being on a plane all the next day. Breakfast was good if a little impersonal.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am happy you liked the bedroom, but sorry you did not approve of the jeans in the restaurant. Jeans is part of the relaxed ambiance we like to create in the restaurant what is after all a kind of holiday hotel. Our receptionists are at least two years in the country and should cope well with the demands of reception work which is in a sense a very repetitive job considering that they are checking on average 185 rooms in every day. We allow about 5 minutes for a check in and don't want to rush the process. I am certainly disappointed that you don't approve of what we have on offer.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Very comfortable - big comfy bed, spacious room, quiet aircon and no noise. Everything you'd want from an airport stopover. The hotel is quite a walk (20mins wheeling a suitcase) from the terminal along a windswept and muddy path, crossing busy bus depot roads and the walk is not to be recommended in the cold and dark. Signposting from the terminal is very poor - look for tiny 'Marriott' signs. The shuttle bus (which has to be be paid for) is an alternative.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stay here on 2 separate nights due to late arrival & early flight out from Gatwick. It takes around 10mins to walk from Gatwick South to the hotel, just follow the signs. Room is very clean & spacious and air-con/ heater works perfectly fine. The only thing I do not like about this hotel is their check-in is extremely slow. There are 3 ladies at the check-in counter & i am only 3rd in the queue & I have to wait for 15-20mins just to check-in & the staff not really friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank valtripadv
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am very happy to read that you found the walk to the hotel convenient and that your room was clean and spacious. I would like to apologize for the time you had to wait for check in; our standard procedure is approx. 5 minutes per arrival. Therefore if you are the 3rd person in the queue it could take up to 20 minutes for your turn. Once again please do accept my apologies.