“Nice but rip off prices”

Courtyard London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Halifax, England, United Kingdom
“Nice but rip off prices”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked this hotel with Parking both pre and post trip to Prague. We had a lovely room with a kingsize bed. The staff were very friendly and helpfull but drinks and dining was very expensive.We had a breakfast on our return which was excellent but again very pricey. It was very convienient for the south terminal, 3 minutes by bus but I was very suprised that we had to pay £3.00 each, each way for transfer to the terminal. Usualy when we have stayed in an Airport Hotel they provide a courtesy bus . I see on other reviews that people have walked to the south termnal in 5 to ten minutes, however when we attempted this on our return but we came up to barriers with no walking signs and thought that it may be a little risky.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

On our way out of town, we decided to stay at a hotel near the airport. This Marriott was the chosen one, as it's cheaper than the Hilton, but still within walking distance of the terminal. The convenience helps, as does the A/C available in the room.

To get from the terminal to the hotel, you have a couple options. First option is to take the shuttle. Originally, I was under the impression that this was free, but be warned, it is not. £3 per person for the ride is the going rate, which I find pretty steep. The second option is to walk. There are signs once you get outside that point the way. It takes about 10 minutes to walk, and it's a pretty flat walk for the most part, but as another Yelper mentioned, there are a lot of sidewalk bumps that are quite rough on the suitcase.

Once in the hotel, I checked in with relative ease. The attendant was friendly, and that is always a good thing. They asked for a credit card to be put on file for incidentals. They apparently charge £50 to it, and "reimburse" you later. You can tell them that you wish not to participate and not be able to charge anything to the room. I did this, and I had to sign a paper, but that's well worth it to me. It was a bit difficult to figure out where to go to access the rooms. There is a tiny sign, but that was only found after I went in every other direction multiple times. If you're standing with your back to the entrance, go right and you'll find the elevator bank.

I found our room, and noticed the shower looked a little unique. It was a handicapped bathroom, which means that everything is flat, there's a curtain, but the entire room was filled with water when showering. I left the mat in the corner of the room, but that was completely soaked when I was done. It had to have been in the top 5 worst shower experiences. Cell reception is nonexistent from the room unless you're right by the window, and even then, it's VERY shoddy. Wi-Fi isn't free, and another Yelper said that it doesn't work well at all. I believe that this is another way that the hotel is ripping off their guests. There's a bottle of water in the room, with a tag on it that says you'll be charged £3.50 for it unless you let them know you didn't drink it. Cheeky, much?

Good food is going to be hard to find. The options in the airport are minimal at best. There is a restaurant at the Marriott, but it's expensive and lacking selection. However, they do offer a daily soup and it's always vegetarian, which appeals to me. I did pick up items for our breakfast at the M&S at the station, which was what I should have done for our dinner, but didn't think of it. We went down to the restaurant to have some dinner, and they were fully booked, so we were told we could eat in the bar area, but we decided we'd rather get room service. We went upstairs, and I tried to contact the room service number three times without an answer. I called the front desk and they put me in touch with someone that could take my order. I placed it, and the total should have been £18.50, but he told me it would be £24.50. Apparently they charge £6 charge for room service. Wow. I cancelled the order, and we went downstairs, where we used that £6 for beer instead. We ordered a pizza with red onion (£12), onion rings (£3) and jenga chips (£3.50). Everything was okay. The jenga chips were the best thing we had... What are they? Chips that are shaped like the game pieces they are named after.

I asked at check-out why we were put into a handicapped room, and the desk attendant apologised, and told me that they didn't mean offense by putting us in there (which I found funny). She mentioned that we had to request a typical bath in order to get one. Never have I ever heard that. Bizarre. Since we noticed the water note, we felt obligated to stand in a line for 10 minutes to ensure we didn't get charged for the stupid thing. When asked how our stay was, I replied that it was "very mediocre". The agent didn't seem to understand that this was absolutely not a compliment.

This hotel is taking advantage of so many things and really nickles and dimes it's guests, which I find a bit repulsive. Keep your eyes open to avoid getting taken at this place.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a typical bathroom when booking to avoid getting put into a room with a handica...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Our prices are very competitive compared to our competition and we charge for everything you would have to pay for in any other hotel. I can only suggest to check out hotels on the internet prior to booking to find out if what is on offer meets your expectation so you are not disappointed with your stay. We try very hard to provide every guest with a positive experience and provide as much information on our website as possible.

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you are arriving at the Gatwick South terminal you could take a shuttle bus for 3 pound but why? As you exit the arrivals area go to ground level, turn right and you'll see the signs. The signs indicate a 10 min walk. I did it in five but I admit I walk fast. From the North terminal there is a free tram to south and then walk. A nice stretch after 15 hours in transit.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They suggested reservations at their restaurant as they are considered the best for beef in the area. I passed as I was planning on Indian food that evening (see my review of Jai Ho just 7 min walk away) and I live in Oklahoma...we do beef. I didn't see it until the next day but while their menu had nothing that really grabbed my interest, the special board featured Venison, Boar, and other more interesting fare.

The hotel is not far off the arrival path for the Runway but there was no noticeable noise so the builder did a good job of noise isolation. The hotel is in a small group of three or four buildings just off the airport road one of the buildings appeared to be vacant so the hotel environ is rather quiet.

There is a charge for parking but I was being transported by locals so no problem for me.

Were I coming back to the area for business again I would likely return.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor facing over the front door, parking area and a group of trees. This faces...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Great hotel for convenience to Gatwick hotel. Easy short walk to South Terminal and easy check in/out. The hotel has a nice restaurant and bar area. You can eat in both. Breakfast was a little pricey so we skipped it and went with a Costa coffee from one of their machines. For the price (£80 Double), we would definitely book again.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here prior to an early morning flight and got an excellent deal by booking in advance. We had a very good room and it's very convenient for the rail station. Only criticism was the restaurant which was expensive and where they got several things wrong with our order. In fairness they removed the offending meal from the bill without us asking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
lincolnshire
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We used the hotel to park the car for 15 days & 1 night accommodation
The staff were very helpful & parking set up was excellent.
The room was very clean & tidy
The location was excellent for the south terminal, it was 5 minutes walk along a marked route.
I would recommend
Thanks for a nice stay before going on holiday

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SH6374
United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Nice modern rooms at reasonable prices. Although there is a shuttle from the terminal, the hotel is less than a ten minute walk away, which is fine if the weather is OK.

The only complaint I had was, checking in the desk staff were dealing with people who hadn't waited in line, which was annoying. Particularly as there was no priority check in queue for Platinum members.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business