“Poor mattress”

Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Poor mattress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice in recent months. I was allocated differing rooms on each occasion so I feel able to comment about the hotel. Check in was quick and easy on both occasions. Air conn in both rooms was so loud that I turned it off in order to get to sleep. I prefer to have it on all night but was unable to do so on both occasions. Both rooms had mouldy bathroom grout and sealant. One room had a very uncomfortable mattress - so bad that you could feel the springs in your back. This was on the 2nd stay - and since we had checked in at 01:30am we were tired and put up with it and tried to sleep. In the morning when we informed reception about the problem with the mattress we were asked if we had informed reception and they would have changed room. Fair enough however it was 02:00 by then, and after a long journey we could not be bothered with any hassle. We were offered a complimentary transfer to the airport however declined since I prefer to talk and get some fresh air. I have two future reservations at this hotel - one of which I was able to cancel. There are other hotels closer to the airport which I will use in future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Varun S, Rooms Division Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor as well as contacting us directly with your feedback.

Please accept our apologies again on this platform. We have advised you in our direct reply that we have found the condition of the mattress and the air conditioning in your occupied room to be at par with the other rooms. We have not received feedback from previous guests or in fact the current occupier of the room who is there now since your departure.

We are glad to learn that when the inconvenience was brought to our attention we offered to do something for you at the time. We have also offered you a gesture of goodwill for your next stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and choosing to stay with Marriott Hotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night before a flight out of gatwick. Despite paying for it in full before I got their.the hotel still asks for a debit card which is annoying but they say they will release the money back to you after your stay. the room was lovely and very nice and it is just what you need for a overnight stay.

Stayed April 2014
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had an early morning flight out of London Gatwick, so booked this hotel as it was offering a parking package if you stayed with them. Last year we used the Sofitel, what a mistake not to go back there this year!!!

As there was a group of us we had booked 3 family rooms, we arrived at the Marriott reception and staff didn't know what was happening. They eventually checked us in as 3 separate families (which we were) but managed to get the rooms mixed up i.e. cots/beds in the wrong rooms!

We then asked if there was any Porters for all our luggage, "No" was the response! Can we store our luggage "Yes, just dump it in that meeting room over there", will it be safe and secure? "Yes, should be".

We then had the debarcle of sorting our cars, it became apparent this was with another company not the hotel! Albeit the company was next to reception but war were immediately informed that we had to check our cars in by 23:00 other wise the hotel would charge us over night parking, we had just arrived at 21:30 and not eaten yet!

Talking of eating and drinking, this lot charge like Rhinos! Food & Beverage prices are extreme!!! This place is set up to extract as much money out of the captured audienace as possible, Wifi, Water in the rooms, Parking, Surcharges, Even a Smile!!!

Our advise stay away and go to the Sofitel at least you can walk to the airport and you actually get value for money! Due to my job I stay away a lot and have a Marriott Rewards card, I've just cut it up as I will no longer stay in their hotels, feeling well and truly ripped off!

Room Tip: Book into the Sofitel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding our hotel. As I have no name I cannot check what happened. I am surprised to read that the cots were in the wrong rooms? We do not guarantee cots and provide them on a first come first serve basis. Being an airport hotel we have great demand for cots. Therefore would put a cot in a room only after check in. As a Courtyard branded hotel we do not provide porter service and this is reflected in our room price. Our F & B prices are very competitive and lower than your last years choice hotel.

Obviously I am very disappointed that your stay was not what it could have been and hope you will accept our apologies.

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Twenty four pounds and fifty pence for two gin tonic. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. Plus twenty five to park overnight. On the surface looks great but to be honest go to the Premier at least you know where you stand. I will NEVER stop at one of these EVER again. Simple. Rip me off and you've lost a customer. It's an absolute disgrace. Welcome to rip off Britain.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

I am sorry you feel robbed! A gin & tonic is £7.50. You must have had 2 double G & T's for that price. Our car parking charge is £25 per night and is very competitive compared to the other hotels in the area. If you check out the other hotels at airport site you will see for yourself.
Thank you for your feedback.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the start and end of our week away. Hotel is clean and friendly. Beds are very comfortable and it is an ideal location. What surprised us the most is it is right under flight path but you don't hear a thing!! We didn't do breakfast as we thought it was far too over priced at £13.95 so opted for the 2 min walk to macdonalds and same with the the wine we went to M n s at petrol station and had 2 bottles for the price of one at the hotel. If I was flying again from Gatwick I would definatley stop here again!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimmy1975_20
Gatwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Only 5 min walk from south terminal, but not easy to find the way for first time. It has a very good restaurant and nice atmosphere. I like the beds and always sleep like a log. I am from Iceland and if I take late flight to Gatwick it is ideal to stay a night and get back home in the morning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Maraval, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The rooms are very nice, clean and well presented. If you ask for a King size bed they come at no extra charge. very quiet absolutely no noise from other rooms or the airport. There is a shuttle bus service that runs about every 20 minutes for a few pounds. Alternatively there are luggage trolleys available which can be pushed along the pavement between the airport and terminal, the walk takes about 15 minutes. Dinning room is expensive, I would recommend bar snacks instead.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple