“Profits before customers!”

Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Margate, United Kingdom
“Profits before customers!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of Marriott hotels around the world including those in the 'Courtyard' group and this had the least atmosphere and worst customer experience.

The rooms are bog standard Marriott rooms... wake up in the early hours and, if you have ever slept in one before you will get Déjà vu and wonder where in the world you are.

Nothing wrong with that and, whilst not luxurious the rooms have all you need including plenty of sockets to charge your travel essentials, Flat Screen TV, Coffee-making kit etc.

Having bought our own soft drinks it was a disappointment to find no fridge. The room was well maintained and there was nothing offensive about the decor.

So far so good and if you were paying half as much as you do you would be more than happy.

What sticks in ones craw is that everything is extra. Breakfast is an exorbitant £14.99, WiFi has to be paid for by the hour and a couple of hours here would cost the same as a month's broadband from most companies! The bottle of water on your desk is not only NOT complimentary it comes in at a staggering £3.50!

There are some good touches like a choice of pillow types and their standard kingsized beds are roomy and comfortable... but the reception is a joke.

When I visited I had to queue as there were two staff on reception and, with around 100 rooms most of which are occupied for just a night before a flight, it is busy all the time. Moreover the design is really silly as reception is next to the bar/dining room and when we arrived the piped music made conversation impossible. But it was the 'speed' with which you are booked in which irritates most. Travelling is, as we all know, tiring and the last thing you want at the end of the day is to stand in line then take ages registering. What is the point of pre-booking? Surely all one ought to do is hand over a slip of paper and one's credit card to be assigned a room... why should customers wait for things to be typed in?

On this visit there was even more of an annoyance. Marriott hotels have a central booking facility. Judging by the variety of accents I suspect this is somewhere in Euroland... I booked a package that included 'on site parking' for a week while I was overseas. I always do this as its cheaper than parking at the airport. I ONLY use hotels who do not ferry the cars elsewhere so was very specific when I booked and asked for assurance that parking WAS on site.

When I arrived I was booked in and told to hand my car keys to a chap at another desk... turns out this was 'Maple Manor Parking' and the car would be driven off five miles to their facility. I was annoyed and talked to the hotel duty manager and said the reason why I did not like off site parking is that I did not trust their security. The manager allowed us to keep the car overnight so we could leave our overnight bag there in the morning and also said the car would be back on their site the night we were arriving back when also stayed at the hotel. It was there on my return but I found that the car had been left unlocked! so much for Maple Manor Parking's security! I could, of course, have chosen to pay an EXTRA £25 a day and left the car in in the hotel car park, which would have defeated the purpose of staying there!

Room Tip: Disable travellers should go for room 001 - easy access, quiet and at the back of the hotel and a ve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank grumpyoldbirder
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am sorry you had to wait to check in, but we are a busy airport hotel with on average 185 check ins every day which can lead to queues pending how our guests arrive. We are currently looking at a mobile phone self check in facility to help with check ins. In regards to charges for any extras, we are very competitive compared to our competition. We are offering park & fly packages for the last 4 years and all cars are parked off site since than as we don't have enough parking spaces. I am pleased to read that our duty manager allowed you to keep your car overnight without a charge and not have 'our profits', but the customer in mind.
Please accept our apology for your car not being locked on your return and I have passed this on to MMP for information and action.
Thank you for choosing Marriott hotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Good location away from the noise. 10 minute walk from the south terminal . You need to take the shuttle or a cab to the north terminal. Make sure you have a i pound coin for the trolly if you have more than one bag . Different , though you can use the trolly to the airport as well and get your one pound back. Get a high floor away from the elevator . Rooms are clean and well kept . The bar and restaurant are great for a quick meal or drink.

Room Tip: Top floor away from the elevator. The three room we had were on the fourth floor and were all great
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Karl K
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at courtyard the night before as we had a very early flight.
Booked through Thomson Holidays price included car parking also 2 course dinner but you can pay once you get there for a 3 course meal.
Room was very clean and comfortable staff were very friendly and efficient
Very good value you can also pay a further £16.95 for your car to be delivered outside terminal and £3 per person each way to use there coach but you can walk to the terminal only takes a few minutes.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is probably the sixth time we have stayed at this hotel and it fits the bill for what we want perfectly. You turn up, check in is easy, you move to the next desk and check your car in ( if using their stay and park) again really easy and you go to a nice room with all amenities you need for a one night stay. Next morning you go to airport( you can get a shuttle coach but we aren't young and it's only about a 7 minute walk) and then on way home you collect luggage and are back at hotel to collect car in just a few minutes. No waiting for coaches to the car park, then queuing for keys to get your car back.
Yes you can get cheaper deals at hotels further away but this place is just the job for a stress free airport experience and we won't hesitate to continue to use them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night with the family as we had to be at the airport for 3.30 am (nice) but found everything great to be honest very good var and restaurant staff and food was good you are always going to pay a premium for a hotel next to an airport so I don't understand the complaints very efficient hotel

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

the booking in was very slow the Pearson was on the phone all the time after 15 mins we got our key the room was good
we went down to have a meal everything went wrong service was very slow
my wife ordered vegetarian lasagne it was cold with some thing white poured over I had
beefburger again cold and black over dun
I complained to the waitress she said she would tell the manager no one came
when I companied at resection I was told you had to write to head office
to cut a long story short after many attempts I was offered at the next booking a free bottle of wine is was a insult never going to stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 11m21
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard London Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am sorry your check in was slow, but sometimes it is very difficult to shorten a phone call when you have a guest asking many questions. I am certainly disappointed that your meal was not all that it could have been and that you were not seen by the restaurant manager on the night. Please accept our apologies for this unfortunate situation, this is certainly not our usual standard. We normally pride ourselves for delivering outstanding service in our restaurant.

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

norwich
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had to be at the airport by 4.30am, so I chose this as it was advertised as an 8 minute walk, in fact it took 5! Room large and all facilities upto date. For £103 they even look after your car for 8 days! Take advantage of that walk in the evening as food looks expensive, for example fish and chips £14.00 (ouch!) however in the terminal fish and chips £7.00 at Wetherspons, plus lots of other eating places as well. Last time we stayed here they enticed us with a cheap special menu, but not this time! Everything ran like clockwork, really excellent Reception staff.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed the same!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple