“Nice hotel rooms @10min walking distance from airport”

Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel rooms are very nice and it is in a quiet area. The hotel is 10 to 15 minutes walking distance from the airport and it is not that easy to access. The roads can be quite dangerous in the evening and there is no good signalling from the airport to the hotel, especially when you leave the terminal. You need to go to ground floor where national express buses leave, cross the parking and then turn right to take the road. From there the signalling is better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have stopped at this hotel several times as it within walking distance of the south terminal its reasonably priced and they take care of my car. The food is over priced in the resturant but there are many local pubs within a couple of miles where you can get good food at a normal price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here before out flight from Gatwick south terminal. Room was clean and spacious, comfy bed. The food in the restaurant in the evening was good, but the food and drinks were expensive, not sure if this is just "London" prices. We also used the parking service which worked well and took shuttle bus to airport £3 per person per way

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great localization, close to the Gatwick airport, 8minutes walking distance. Room quite clean, beds comfortable , flat screen TV with some satTV channels (apx. 20 channels), electric kettle.
Really good breakfasts really huge selection of everything (English and continental), fresh and well presented. Big plus for me, was a coffee machine, I could make a coffee I like.
Staff at the reception desk and in the restaurant very helpful and professional. Also breakfast chefs doing a really good job. Thank you for that.

There are some serious downgrades:

Parking overnight cost 25Ł, parking during the day also in ridiculous prices. This hotel have got a really huge car park and they are doing extra business on it. Solution – if you got a car don't go there. It is also a shame this hotel is not offering a free internet access for his guests, not even in public areas. There is an option in a ridiculously high price (you can pay with your credit card). Last time I have had to pay for the internet was in Egipt, also in 4 star hotel. Internet access isn't nothing extraordinary in 21st century, is it a common thing in most of the European Hotels.

Conclusions:

For me this hotel was in excellent value for the money simple because I get special offer 80Ł per night (2 adults and 2 children). In normal price I wouldn't choose this Hotel.

After 2 nights in this Hotel we flew to Jamaica. I have rented there a self catering apartment (two bedroom apartment). No any star grades, simple Jamaican family business, 1360 USD for 14 nights. Sat TV 80 channels , free internet access (strong signal inside the room) and also free car park for the guests. Marriott managers can learn something from the Jamaican.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am very pleased to read that generally you liked the hotel and the service received. I am sorry you take offense for charging for parking and internet. In return for our charges you get the fasted upload and download speed of any hotel in the Gatwick area. This is of great value to some of our guests. Parking is a very precious commodity in and around Gatwick. We have 218 rooms and 100 parking spaces. Our parking charge is very competitive compared to our local competition and also stops local workers to leave their cars for the day.

Thank you for choosing Marriott Hotels.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed one night here and parked our car for eight days while away on hols. Brilliant service with excellent bar food and friendly staff. Bus to the terminal for £3 each takes all the stress of trying to park around Gatwick.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robbyCOMPTON
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed here the night before our flight out to Cuba from the North Terminal. We booked the 15 day stay & park package with meet & greet on return. Staff were brilliant, and check-in was quick, they even let us check in a little bit early which was much appreciated after a 6 hour car journey! Room was immaculate, modern and comfortable. We ordered room service, whilst the price seemed a bit steep for us as Northerners, it was in line with what I'd expect to pay in London, and the food was lovely and was brought up to the room quickly. Rooms were really well sound-proofed, didn't hear a single plane during the night & got a great nights sleep. Transfers to the terminal in the morning were by bus which was quick and comfortable. Great service overall, would definitely use this hotel/car parking package again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie B
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of Marriott hotels around the world including those in the 'Courtyard' group and this had the least atmosphere and worst customer experience.

The rooms are bog standard Marriott rooms... wake up in the early hours and, if you have ever slept in one before you will get Déjà vu and wonder where in the world you are.

Nothing wrong with that and, whilst not luxurious the rooms have all you need including plenty of sockets to charge your travel essentials, Flat Screen TV, Coffee-making kit etc.

Having bought our own soft drinks it was a disappointment to find no fridge. The room was well maintained and there was nothing offensive about the decor.

So far so good and if you were paying half as much as you do you would be more than happy.

What sticks in ones craw is that everything is extra. Breakfast is an exorbitant £14.99, WiFi has to be paid for by the hour and a couple of hours here would cost the same as a month's broadband from most companies! The bottle of water on your desk is not only NOT complimentary it comes in at a staggering £3.50!

There are some good touches like a choice of pillow types and their standard kingsized beds are roomy and comfortable... but the reception is a joke.

When I visited I had to queue as there were two staff on reception and, with around 100 rooms most of which are occupied for just a night before a flight, it is busy all the time. Moreover the design is really silly as reception is next to the bar/dining room and when we arrived the piped music made conversation impossible. But it was the 'speed' with which you are booked in which irritates most. Travelling is, as we all know, tiring and the last thing you want at the end of the day is to stand in line then take ages registering. What is the point of pre-booking? Surely all one ought to do is hand over a slip of paper and one's credit card to be assigned a room... why should customers wait for things to be typed in?

On this visit there was even more of an annoyance. Marriott hotels have a central booking facility. Judging by the variety of accents I suspect this is somewhere in Euroland... I booked a package that included 'on site parking' for a week while I was overseas. I always do this as its cheaper than parking at the airport. I ONLY use hotels who do not ferry the cars elsewhere so was very specific when I booked and asked for assurance that parking WAS on site.

When I arrived I was booked in and told to hand my car keys to a chap at another desk... turns out this was 'Maple Manor Parking' and the car would be driven off five miles to their facility. I was annoyed and talked to the hotel duty manager and said the reason why I did not like off site parking is that I did not trust their security. The manager allowed us to keep the car overnight so we could leave our overnight bag there in the morning and also said the car would be back on their site the night we were arriving back when also stayed at the hotel. It was there on my return but I found that the car had been left unlocked! so much for Maple Manor Parking's security! I could, of course, have chosen to pay an EXTRA £25 a day and left the car in in the hotel car park, which would have defeated the purpose of staying there!

Room Tip: Disable travellers should go for room 001 - easy access, quiet and at the back of the hotel and a ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank grumpyoldbirder
Heinz S, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am sorry you had to wait to check in, but we are a busy airport hotel with on average 185 check ins every day which can lead to queues pending how our guests arrive. We are currently looking at a mobile phone self check in facility to help with check ins. In regards to charges for any extras, we are very competitive compared to our competition. We are offering park & fly packages for the last 4 years and all cars are parked off site since than as we don't have enough parking spaces. I am pleased to read that our duty manager allowed you to keep your car overnight without a charge and not have 'our profits', but the customer in mind.
Please accept our apology for your car not being locked on your return and I have passed this on to MMP for information and action.
Thank you for choosing Marriott hotels.