“I would stay here again”

Courtyard London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
London
“I would stay here again”
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Very fair price. Hubby loved our room. Room was clean and had fresh linens, soap and such. Also, very easy to get to. Would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
hertfordshire
Reviewed 14 September 2010

On arrival had to wait 20 minutes to book the car in. Then queue again for another 15 minutes to get my room.
On return 0745am a large queue waiting to check out I could see my car but could not get the key until the Maple parking man arrived at 0800 Your car is moved by them to a car park off site.
More staff needed and the ones on duty was not very nice.
If you have a drink in the bar you need a mortgage.
£2.50 each way in Coach to the terminals.
Will not use again much better hotels at Gatwick

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

uk
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We chose to stay at the hotel due to the proximity to the South Terminal, which is approx. 20 min walk with luggage from terminal to the hotel. We booked online, on the Courtyard Marriott website, approx 2 months prior to our stay. The deal (15 day in advance) was good value at 75 pounds.

My experience? I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel, ever. Especially such a usually reputatable chain. I could not wait to leave the next day and was glad our stay was only 1 night. This is a shame as the hotel and facilities were great.

The problems started when we checked into the hotel. I had the print out of our booking and had double checked the full payment had been taken out of my bank account so was not expecting any problems. Unfortunately for us the extremely rude and unhelpful woman working on reception could not find our booking on check-in. This is despite having a booking form with our details. Her solution was for us to check-in to our room and we could sort everything out the next morning before check-out. This solution was fine with us but when she asked for a credit card I questioned whether this was just for any extras or if they would be charging for the room. It turned out she was just going to re-charge us for the room and they would refund us once we proved it had already been paid (yes the onus was on us to prove we had paid!!!) I said that we had already paid (and had a booking receipt but apparently the payments use a different system so payments are not automatic, I checked and mine was the same day) so I would not be paying again. I was on holidays from Australia and didn't want the hassle of having to sort this out on my return. Her response was 'if you have paid, why can't I find it on my system' ... how am I supposed to know??

I was not happy with having to deal with this woman (her body language, general manner and words were not just rude but offensive, I have never experienced anything like it!) so asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately the manager sided with his employee. He said he believes we have not yet paid and that when we contact our bank they will confirm this. The manager said this happens all the time as there are 2 different systems and it isn't a big deal. Well it was a big deal for us as I knew I had paid and this has never happened before.

I asked he double check the system as I knew it had been paid and didn't trust the woman on reception had checked properly, she seemed to have a number of issues logging in and using the system. When the manager checked the system all of a sudden our booking was there!!! And had been paid!!! They said it must have 'just appeared'!

If only the manager had double checked to start with we would not have had to go through all of this. Even when apologising the staff were not that concerned as their attitude was 'this happens all the time'. No compensation or proper apology was offered for the aggrivation we experienced. I am just glad I questioned the woman from the start rather than going along with her and paying twice as I certainly do not want to have to deal with the hotel ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melskies
west midlands
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was a Friday overnight stay for a flight the next day to Portugal. We wanted somewhere clean, comfortable, close to the airport & above all quiet for a good night's sleep-and that's exactly what we got. The place looks almost new and the room was modern with- everything you would expect from a chain hotel- facing onto an inner area of the building which meant that I never heard ANY sound of planes at all. Bed was also comfy.
We had booked a deal to include a week's parking which did involve handing in car keys at the desk (as they are moved while you are away) but we had until 11pm to do this so we could have eaten off site if wished. However, the small bar area looked inviting so we ate here instead. Small menu with reasonable selection of food at surprisingly reasonable (for a Londonish hotel) prices. The wine was a bit steep at £6.50 for a large glass. There was also a larger restaurant area available which I would imagine could get quite full if all the guests descended on it at once!
We used the transport bus to take us to South terminal (£2.50 each) & it didn't seem very far but then who wants to lug cases (even with wheels on) when you are not sure where you are going.
Only gripe when we came to settle the bill they had slapped on a small extra charge for VAT-so obviously the site I had used to book did not include this.
Overall a good experience & yes we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
southampton
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We booked the Marriott Courtyard Hotel with 15 days parking, due to its proximity to Gatwick Airport. Our check-in was quick and we were given a ground floor room as requested.

At the other end of reception is where you book in your car (for holiday parking) and we were told we could do this at any point up until 11.00pm that night (which was handy in case we wanted to venture away from the hotel). We did it pretty much straight away and they were quick and efficient in booking the car in, and for an extra cost offered the car to be valeted and/or delivered to the airport on our arrival back in the UK (we declined both but it was reasonably priced).

We settled in the lounge/bar area which became very busy, and later saw our car being driven away. The drinks/food are expensive as other people have commented but I don't think any more expensive than other hotels. Kids meals are free when being ordered with an adult meal which eased the cost slightly. The lounge area has a relaxed atmosphere and is quite comfortable.

Our room (2 doubles) was spacious and very clean and very well sound proofed (with its proximity to the airport). The bathroom is clean and the water pressure in the shower was lovely. No complaints whatsoever about the room, actually one of the best I've stayed in.

Checkout the next day was swift and the receptionist bid us a happy and safe holiday (there are screens in reception but I couldn't tell if they gave arrivals/departure information). The walk to the airport is a good 10 minute walk if you have young children (my son started to get tired/bored about half way). If you have a few young children as well as luggage I would suggest taking the bus that arrives at reception every 20 minutes or so. Also some cars race past the pavement and this may be a little dangerous it certainly made me feel a bit nervous.

On our arrival back in the UK, my son hitched a lift on our luggage trolley so the journey back to the hotel was quicker!! At reception my keys were handed back to me once documentation signed etc and I was shown where the car was parked.

I noticed on the milometer that the car had been driven an extra 21 miles so be aware that your car is taken off site and parked a fair distance away. However there was nothing wrong with my car and it was an excellend and efficient service they offer.

I would recommend this hotel and the long stay parking they offer.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Only 10 minutes walk at most from terminal. Very friendly check-in. Considering you're on the airport, noise levels were non-existent really. Rooms still look and feel new, bathroom includes toiletries (handy with twilight checkin!). Will definitely stay there again next time we've an early flight from Gatwick.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Bedfordshire, England
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed here for one night before going on holiday.

The hotel is very comfortable, modern, clean, excellent sound insulation means a quite nights sleep (even if the bed wasnt quite as comfortable as it should be).

We didnt try breakfast as it didnt start till 6am (why do airport hotels start breakfast this late?). We also didnt try the restaurant as it seems as if the hotel is looking to make as much money as possible from you by charging 5 star prices for food.

We walked to the airport the night before to check in our bags (15 minutes leisurely walk with bags and two young children) and ate at the Airport, and found this saved us a reasonable amount of money even taking into account airports generally inflated prices. (We found Frankie & Bennies to be more in line with normal high street prices in the south terminal and the quality was reasonable).

Walked to the airport the next morning with two sleepy tired young children, but no bags and it took about 10 minutes to get to the south terminal building doors.

(You have the option of picking you car up from the airport on return for around £15 extra if you want).

Would definatly stay here again, especially if we have an early flight and the option of checking in hold bags the night before (thank you first choice)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family