“Not a 24 hour travellers hotel”

Courtyard London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Birmingham
“Not a 24 hour travellers hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I have stayed here on previous trips from Gatwick airport and was always pleased with my stay but this time I had a very early flight and needed to be up at 4.30am. When I checked in I enquired about facilities for very early breakfast before the restaurant opened and was told there were no facilities, not even room service to supply breakfast. I asked about purchasing a couple of bread rolls and some jam from the kitchen but none of the staff followed up my request apart from my lovely waitress at my evening meal who smuggled me a couple of rolls and a small jar of jam. This is not what I would expect from a respected hotel chain on airport site with hundreds of travellers who depart on journeys 24 hours of the day.
The restaurant was a total let down. I waited over 40 minutes for my meal and was served warm white wine. I was practically the first customer through the door too. My waitress was terribly appologetic but when I made a formal complaint I was given a real brush off by other staff.
The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and spotlessly clean. One major problem is the air conditioning. The rooms are like ovens without it on but the noise of them switched on means that you wont get a wink of sleep. No free WiFi either. It was very expensive and considering most hotels offer this for free this is really a bit of a liberty especially since there were many business travellers there.
The parking package was a reasonable price. Your car is taken off site which I was quite nervous of, but it was returned in good order.
The distance from terminal 2 is quite a way, there is a bus you have to pay for both ways and takes about 20 minutes so leave plenty of time.
I probably will consider another hotel or bring my own packed breakfast with me next time. You really need to start your journey rested, fed and happy. Sadly this time I was tired, and rather grumpy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Drogheda, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel, for one night while awaiting an onward flight, with the mistaken belief it was within easy walking distance of Gatwick South Terminal. Firstly let me say that while this hotel may be within walking distance, I tried walking in two different directions and found the journey completely unsafe to walk, and with the only sign for the hotel pointing you to the bus stop, I was unsure where I was going. After wasting some time walking I eventually got the bus which cost £2.50 per person each way. Don't get a fright as the bus takes a detour to the North Terminal on it's way as well as stopping off at other hotels.

On arrival at the Marriott there was a small queue for check-in which took almost half an hour to process. It didn't help when new arrivals were allowed skip the queue. When I queried this I was advised that they were “return visitors”. A further delay ensued when the twin room I had booked through the hotel's own website mysteriously changed to a double, but this problem was rectified. A simple smile from any of the reception staff might have alleviated my frustrations after a long day of travelling.

The room was fine for my one night, comfortable beds, clean bathroom, tea/coffee, ironing board & iron, flat screen tv. I was however disappointed to see a charge of £4.95 per hour for wifi in the room. I found the room a bit stuffy due to the fact that widows have no opening.

I visited the bar for food and once again I found the service poor. After waiting over ten mintues for a menu to arrive I eventually had to place my order at the bar. As part of the order I was handed a bottle of wine and two glasses to bring to the table myself and was promptly handed the bill for signature before any food was served. Having said that, the food itself was perfectly acceptable.

Checking out early was more efficient and less of an ordeal, but what a difference a smile would have made to my brief but last stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

Stayed for 1 night before flying on holiday.
The room was very pleasant.
When we made the reservation we also booked for the evening buffet, what a dissappointment.
The buffet choice was absolutely disgusting. The food looked like it had been stting there far too long. It was all dried out and hardly any selection whatsoever.
We did complain at the time to the waitress who advised because we had booked on the internet she was unable to give us a refund.
We have always stayed with the Marriott Group but will never again book the buffet facility
We also booked an early morning alarm call, which never happened.
We complained to Reception when we checked out to which we were told we were not the only ones this had happened to. Thankfully we still made out flight..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here on the 2nd. Sept. the night before an early flight. We found the hotel easy to find and with the parking arrangements with manor farm cheek in was very quick for both us and our car. The room was clean and very comfortable. We ate dinner in the restaurant and shared a bottle of wine both were very good and service was quick and friendly. We both slept very well and heard no noise from aircraft or other guests, I would have no reservation's about recommending this hotel to anyone and will definitely use again if we have an early flight.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Very fair price. Hubby loved our room. Room was clean and had fresh linens, soap and such. Also, very easy to get to. Would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2010
hertfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

On arrival had to wait 20 minutes to book the car in. Then queue again for another 15 minutes to get my room.
On return 0745am a large queue waiting to check out I could see my car but could not get the key until the Maple parking man arrived at 0800 Your car is moved by them to a car park off site.
More staff needed and the ones on duty was not very nice.
If you have a drink in the bar you need a mortgage.
£2.50 each way in Coach to the terminals.
Will not use again much better hotels at Gatwick

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

We chose to stay at the hotel due to the proximity to the South Terminal, which is approx. 20 min walk with luggage from terminal to the hotel. We booked online, on the Courtyard Marriott website, approx 2 months prior to our stay. The deal (15 day in advance) was good value at 75 pounds.

My experience? I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel, ever. Especially such a usually reputatable chain. I could not wait to leave the next day and was glad our stay was only 1 night. This is a shame as the hotel and facilities were great.

The problems started when we checked into the hotel. I had the print out of our booking and had double checked the full payment had been taken out of my bank account so was not expecting any problems. Unfortunately for us the extremely rude and unhelpful woman working on reception could not find our booking on check-in. This is despite having a booking form with our details. Her solution was for us to check-in to our room and we could sort everything out the next morning before check-out. This solution was fine with us but when she asked for a credit card I questioned whether this was just for any extras or if they would be charging for the room. It turned out she was just going to re-charge us for the room and they would refund us once we proved it had already been paid (yes the onus was on us to prove we had paid!!!) I said that we had already paid (and had a booking receipt but apparently the payments use a different system so payments are not automatic, I checked and mine was the same day) so I would not be paying again. I was on holidays from Australia and didn't want the hassle of having to sort this out on my return. Her response was 'if you have paid, why can't I find it on my system' ... how am I supposed to know??

I was not happy with having to deal with this woman (her body language, general manner and words were not just rude but offensive, I have never experienced anything like it!) so asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately the manager sided with his employee. He said he believes we have not yet paid and that when we contact our bank they will confirm this. The manager said this happens all the time as there are 2 different systems and it isn't a big deal. Well it was a big deal for us as I knew I had paid and this has never happened before.

I asked he double check the system as I knew it had been paid and didn't trust the woman on reception had checked properly, she seemed to have a number of issues logging in and using the system. When the manager checked the system all of a sudden our booking was there!!! And had been paid!!! They said it must have 'just appeared'!

If only the manager had double checked to start with we would not have had to go through all of this. Even when apologising the staff were not that concerned as their attitude was 'this happens all the time'. No compensation or proper apology was offered for the aggrivation we experienced. I am just glad I questioned the woman from the start rather than going along with her and paying twice as I certainly do not want to have to deal with the hotel ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple