“Service mediocre - but it's right at Gatwick airport”

Courtyard London Gatwick Airport
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Burlington, Ontario
“Service mediocre - but it's right at Gatwick airport”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Chose this over the Hilton to save a few bucks - probably wouldn't do it again. Stayed one night before flying back to canada after a 2week stay in England. Overall the worst of the 4 hotels we stayed in during that time - initial check in took forever cos only one woman at the desk - i know it was sunday night at 9pm - but really it's Gatwick airport I assumed it would be well staffed 24/7. told by desk that the restaurant closed at 10 - which seems a bit early for an airport hotel, told we could order something from the bar until midnight but that the room service also closed at 10 (bizarre). the room we were given was clean and fresh, but there had obviously been a leak at some point cos the ceiling was stained. it was obviosuly a room designed for handicapped with extra sink etc - very commendable - but what rubbish planning - let's make a room for disabled people, and lets make the sliding door of the bathroom so damn stiff it nearly takes your shoulder off to close it (and we were able bodied people) it shows half assed attitude.
so on to the bar. we sat at a very small table designed just for drinking but had to eat there cos the restaurant was closed. the bar girl ignored us for ages and we had to ask her to come and wipe down the sticky and dirty table. we had a poor selection of food (far worse than any other hotel we stayed at) so i had a jacket potato and my husband ordered two sandwiches - which seemed to confuse the girl who did not speak english at all well. then my husband ordered our two diet cokes and was offhandedly told "we have no diet drinks at all in the whole hotel" - WHAT????? come on, that's pretty bizarre - anyway, overall the service was poor and it did not provide the relaxing end to our holiday that we had hoped. Next time I'd probably pay the extra 15$ and use the hilton. btw Parking was 15$ - not a surprise as I knew that in advance and decided it was better than trying to return the hire car at 9pm on a sunday night and then have to pay for 2 shuttles.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel for one night before an early flight, leaving the car for 15 days. Check in for both car and room were both quick, staff were pleasant. Had to leave the keys straight away as the car would be moved 'immediately', this doesn't allow you to leave your overnight bits in the car, minor problem really. The room was large and comfortable, couldn't work out how to turn the A/C off which was a bit noisy but we got used to it. No noise from aircraft.
Took us 10 minutes to walk to the airport. There are signs and there is a path all the way although you do have to cross a couple of little slip roads for car park entrances. We thought it easy to follow and perfectly safe.
Check out was quick as was collecting the car on our return.
Did'nt use the bar or restaurant.
Overall, happy with the park and stay, will be using again.

1 Thank Del-&-Mags
France
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I stayed at the Courtyard for 3 nights. I have mixed opinions. The room was very nice, comfortable, super clean,had everything I needed, except an extra towel...The service was just ok. I had to ask alot of questions for clarity especially concerning the meals. You could pre-pay a meal package, but the buffet restaurant was open only at "regular" meal times. For a hotel that serves clients coming and going from the airport at all hours, there should be a restaurant that offers simple meals at least without having to go the bar to order. The bar often had only 1 person working which was not enough during the busier times. I will say the service crew was pleasant and accomomadating, but just not enough of them. I got a super-good price on my stay, and I would come back again, but I think the service is not as good as it should be. Getting internet access was a bit confusing too...it took my asking them several times to get the codes and how the system works. Should be more user freindly.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MarieChristineFrance
Leeds
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We stayed here for one night prior to flying out of Gatwick. parking was included in our package and the price was very reasonable. We had a larger than average corner room with a sofa and dining room table, the decor was nice. There were a few signs of wear and tear but in general I was very pleased. There was a coffee maker that took pods, but no pods were provided.Dressing gowns were provided and there was a good range of toiletries also. we didn't eat or drink in the hotel but the food smelled nice and the bar area looked pleasant.

My main issue was the service. We arrived at about 10.20pm in the evening. There was a short queue to check in which I stood in whilst my better half decided to check the car in at a separate desk. Apparently the lady at the car desk said that reception were very slow at checking people in and we should leave the car keys with them at that point. This was because there was an 11pm cut off for handing keys in when the car would be taken away. We were not aware of this cut off in advance and wanted access to the car so we could change out of our work clothes and put them in an overnight bag and store them in the car as I did not particularly want to take them to Greece.

At first we thought she was being overcautious and believed we would have no problem checking in and quickly getting changed in 40 minutes. How wrong we were. there were two receptionists (both Eastern European I think) who seemed to just stare blankly at their computer screens. There were only two parties checking in ahead of us but it took us over 30 minutes to reach the front of the queue. We'd observed the two women during this time. they never smiled, they never made eye contact and made no polite conversation at all.

Finally we reached the front of the line, only to stand in front of the charmless Olga. She did not even acknowledge us for over a minute at which point she looked up and simply barked 'over there!' to the other lady serving. Thus it became apparent Olga was closing.

It simply was the worst check in experience I've ever had and I've traveeld a fair bit. There was no explanation or apology for the delay and after a four hour drive it was not ideal. Suffice to say that the dirty clothes and work shoes had to have a trip to greece after all and the check in shenanigans would put me off staying there again which is a shame.

2 Thank kitty-belafontaine
Birmingham
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I have stayed here on previous trips from Gatwick airport and was always pleased with my stay but this time I had a very early flight and needed to be up at 4.30am. When I checked in I enquired about facilities for very early breakfast before the restaurant opened and was told there were no facilities, not even room service to supply breakfast. I asked about purchasing a couple of bread rolls and some jam from the kitchen but none of the staff followed up my request apart from my lovely waitress at my evening meal who smuggled me a couple of rolls and a small jar of jam. This is not what I would expect from a respected hotel chain on airport site with hundreds of travellers who depart on journeys 24 hours of the day.
The restaurant was a total let down. I waited over 40 minutes for my meal and was served warm white wine. I was practically the first customer through the door too. My waitress was terribly appologetic but when I made a formal complaint I was given a real brush off by other staff.
The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and spotlessly clean. One major problem is the air conditioning. The rooms are like ovens without it on but the noise of them switched on means that you wont get a wink of sleep. No free WiFi either. It was very expensive and considering most hotels offer this for free this is really a bit of a liberty especially since there were many business travellers there.
The parking package was a reasonable price. Your car is taken off site which I was quite nervous of, but it was returned in good order.
The distance from terminal 2 is quite a way, there is a bus you have to pay for both ways and takes about 20 minutes so leave plenty of time.
I probably will consider another hotel or bring my own packed breakfast with me next time. You really need to start your journey rested, fed and happy. Sadly this time I was tired, and rather grumpy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Crawley hotels

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel, for one night while awaiting an onward flight, with the mistaken belief it was within easy walking distance of Gatwick South Terminal. Firstly let me say that while this hotel may be within walking distance, I tried walking in two different directions and found the journey completely unsafe to walk, and with the only sign for the hotel pointing you to the bus stop, I was unsure where I was going. After wasting some time walking I eventually got the bus which cost £2.50 per person each way. Don't get a fright as the bus takes a detour to the North Terminal on it's way as well as stopping off at other hotels.

On arrival at the Marriott there was a small queue for check-in which took almost half an hour to process. It didn't help when new arrivals were allowed skip the queue. When I queried this I was advised that they were “return visitors”. A further delay ensued when the twin room I had booked through the hotel's own website mysteriously changed to a double, but this problem was rectified. A simple smile from any of the reception staff might have alleviated my frustrations after a long day of travelling.

The room was fine for my one night, comfortable beds, clean bathroom, tea/coffee, ironing board & iron, flat screen tv. I was however disappointed to see a charge of £4.95 per hour for wifi in the room. I found the room a bit stuffy due to the fact that widows have no opening.

I visited the bar for food and once again I found the service poor. After waiting over ten mintues for a menu to arrive I eventually had to place my order at the bar. As part of the order I was handed a bottle of wine and two glasses to bring to the table myself and was promptly handed the bill for signature before any food was served. Having said that, the food itself was perfectly acceptable.

Checking out early was more efficient and less of an ordeal, but what a difference a smile would have made to my brief but last stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Stayed for 1 night before flying on holiday.
The room was very pleasant.
When we made the reservation we also booked for the evening buffet, what a dissappointment.
The buffet choice was absolutely disgusting. The food looked like it had been stting there far too long. It was all dried out and hardly any selection whatsoever.
We did complain at the time to the waitress who advised because we had booked on the internet she was unable to give us a refund.
We have always stayed with the Marriott Group but will never again book the buffet facility
We also booked an early morning alarm call, which never happened.
We complained to Reception when we checked out to which we were told we were not the only ones this had happened to. Thankfully we still made out flight..

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple