“"Terrible" Not Fit for Animals to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crawley
Britannia Lodge Gatwick
Ranked #19 of 19 Crawley B&B and Inns
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“"Terrible" Not Fit for Animals to Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have often stayed at this hotel on business when in the Sussex Kent area. I have seen this hotel deteriorate from Bad to Worse. The rooms are smelly and disgusting the recent room I stayed in was beyond a joke, Wallpaper hanging of Wall, Carpet had been repaired with a patch from another piece of carpet nothing like to original and was thicker than original creating a trip hazard in the middle of the room. Bed was dirty with someone else's hairs in the bed sheets. Not to mention the Bathroom with brown bath and toilet stains, bathroom fan constantly running,The Bar Area with torn uncomfortable seats and try and eat the food off these cars is a major task , I would be very hard pressed to stay here again !!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newport, South Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Cannot believe how disgustingly dirty this hotel is. We chose this hotel for a park and stay from Gatwick and will never be going there again.
The staff were so helpful and pleasant, it was bizarre that they could be so professional and remain positive in such an awful place. We had excellent service from them, but can't understand how they manage to stay that way.
We booked the park for up to 8 days and stay option and it cost around £75 for 2 adults and 2 children to stay in a family room. We left the car, had a great holiday and then came back to this place!
We checked into Reception and there was a guest complaining about leaving his key in his room and that he wasn't prepared to pay to get it out again when they could just go and let him in. He was not happy and things started to get 'heated' and I was just keen to check in so that our 7 and 5 year old did not have to witness any aggression which was escalating quickly.
The Reception staff member checked us in quickly and gave hurried directions of how to get to our room. The lack of signs in this place is terrible! Thank goodness my husband was able to read the fire alarm floor plans otherwise we would never had found our room. We were tired and just wanted to get to settle the children and get to bed ourselves, however when we seen the state of the room it was difficult to be able to even think about resting. We slept fully clothed on top of the beds as the room was so vile we were concerned what we may take home with us that wasn't wanted!
You are able to see the photos for yourself to see just how awful it was. It was shocking. After travelling so far we just wanted to have a shower but there was no way we were going to use that bathroom....we just about went in there to go to the loo and even then I would clean it with wet wipes before the kids sat on it!!!
Please do not waste your money booking at this hotel, it is not a bargain, it is a place that needs to sack their whole Housekeeping & Maintenance departments and re-employ people who actually know what type of standard is classed as basic.
A truly awful place.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! Do not book here!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RubstersMomma
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

below if my letter of complaint to hotel management, I copied in the CEO & the board of Director's of the investment company which owns a stake in Britannia Hotels Ltd.

My wife & I stayed at Europa Gatwick Lodge hotel on September 2nd 2013, we left on the morning of 3rd September to go the the airport for our 2 week honeymoon (we returned Tuesday 17th September).

On arrival at Europa Gatwick Lodge on the 2nd September, we checked in at approximately 9pm, and upon entering our room there was a distinct smell of damp/mold & the temperature of the room was very cold. I thought about requesting a move to a non damp/mold, warmer room, but thought as i am only here for 8-9 hours, i would turn the heating up, and get to sleep as we have to be up early for onward travel.

I then found that the thermostat in the room, when turned up, was not turning the heating on. I go to reception, and notify the staff that the heating in our room will not come on. To my horror, I am then informed that it is company policy not to have heating turned on in summer months! i am astounded at this. I insisted they change their policy immediately, as the room is not a satisfactory temperature and as my wife is pregnant, to stay in a cold room is not suitable. I was met with a brick wall of stubbornness, that it is a head office decision & he can not turn the heating on.

Upon returning to my room, extremely upset and concerned, i thought the only logical thing i can do at this time is make a hot drink for my wife and I, and try to get some sleep. I go to make a hot drink in the room, and am confronted with the kettle which is attached as an image to this email. Utterly disgusting, and left me with no desire to drink from it. In fact, i did not wish to stay in this hotel a moment longer, but had no choice.

Upon further inspection of the room, i found it to be extremely dirty. I took the liberty of taking pictures of relevant examples & attached them to this email. Next to the bedside table, the wall paper behind is peeling, there is substantial amount of mold down there, I strongly believe it has been in this condition for a long period of time. There are thick layers of dust in the heating vent, and dust/dirt on top of the thermostat. The chair in the room, a distinct layer of dirt/dust on it. Has this room ever been cleaned?

I had approximately 2 hours sleep due to the abhorrent smell, cold temperature & unsatisfactory conditions my wife had about the same. Upon departure at 6am the following morning, i registered my dissatisfaction with the reception staff, but the person was simply not interested.

I am so upset by this experience, and need answers from your company. I am not one to go onto review websites, social media pages etc and write negative reports as I truly believe everyone deserves a chance to correct their mistakes and improve.

I look forward to receiving your response.

I received a response from a Maureen Wood, who offered me another stay at the hotel with a free upgrade to a suite. yes, you read this right, they expected me to go there again and pay for the privilege & in return receive an upgrade to a suite. The attitude of the staff is almost as bad as the state of the building.

Room Tip: you would be better off in a tent
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jack T
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel has no redeeming attributes.

The car park is basically waste ground and probably not secure by any stretch of the imagination. Very difficult to find a place to park.

Service is indifferent, bordering on rude at the bar.

Room was tiny and non too clean (dead and live spiders).

Location - in fairness not a lot they can do about that. However unless prepared to tolerate the F&B, a drive out of the hotel will be required. Which brings into play the parking challenges again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank HabitualHotelLurker
Bewdley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My grandson arrived on Saturday 27th July for a one night stay booked as buffet diner, bed and breakfast.

At 8.20 we went to the resteruant and found a small dish of ham, a dish of burnt potatoes and some veg. The sweet area was empty. We complained and were told the manager was coming so we went back to our table. No manager came but 2 sweets were brought out, then nothing.

We went back to reception and were refunded the grand total of £15, total not per person. As no food was forthcoming I then ordered pizza which was delivered to reception from Dominoes
and at around 10 we ate it in our room. Total cost £27.74. I asked for the hotel to foot the bill and they refused.

To cap it all the 7.00 alarm call also failed to arrive making us late.

I have stayed with this group many times and never had sych a bad experience.

This morning I tried to contact somebody without success, being passed from one person to another and it looks a though the only way to complain is via e-mail. I have asked for somebody to contact me as tomorrow I will taking action in small claims court.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank andychainBewdley
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night we picked it as it was really cheap compared to other hotels around the area. You check in at the Europa which you can use all the facilities. Check in was simple with good customer service then you leave the Europa and the Britannia lodge is like a kind of barn conversion, it is a completely separate building with a lovely look. There are security doors to get in to the building, my only little concern was someone kept wedging the door open. We don't know if that was a guest or staff, likelyhood a guest.
The room was newly decorated it was a good size room with all the basics that you need ie tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was a good size with a bath and shower. If you want breakfast and evening meal it was cheaper to book in the hotel on check in rather than before hand as breakfast was only £7.50 each for all you can eat full breakfast. Evening meal was a 3 course all you can eat carvery at £12.50 each.
The facilities you can use in the Europa are fantastic. There are lovely gardens with a beautiful fountain as its main feature. In the lobby there are plenty of sofas and seating to accommodate everyone. Didn't use the pool but it did look lovely.

Transfers to the airports are 10min to south terminal and less than 15 to the north. They are £5pp to the airport and free from the airport to the hotel. The bus is G4 and arrives and leaves north terminal from stand 8. Pick up and drop off at the hotel I right outside the main entrance.

We judge hotels on value for money and at £26 for the night we couldn't fault it. Had no trouble parking. Will defo be staying here again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kayleigh_M_Williams
Strabane, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We had an overnight stay before we went to Mexico and I would rather have spent the night at the airport. The hotel was grubby, unkept and the bed and bathroom were not very clean. Never slept a wink and was glad when it was 6am so we could go. I have stayed in "basic" places before but this was ridiculous!

Room Tip: Don't stay!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple