“Excellent HIE, covenient for Gatwick” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley

Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Dingwall, Scotland
“Excellent HIE, covenient for Gatwick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I use this hotel a lot, several times per month over the past 3-4 years. In comparison with other HIE hotels I use in the UK, I would say it is better than the average.
Last year saw a new 'wing' and the rooms in this section are the new-style HIE form, very comfortable - walk-in showers, LCD TV's etc.
I think they plan upgrading the older rooms over time, and some of these are old/shabby, so ask for the 'new' wing when you check in.
New reception and bar area as well, although the drink selection in the bar is very limited.

Never had a problem with staff, always plenty of them and efficient, being close to an airport you can sometimes have a busy check-out in the morning.

This hotel is not actually at Gatwick, but close enough. To and from Gatwick - £10-£15 taxi, depending on which firm. If you know Gatwick well, take a taxi to Concorde House instead (staff entrance), rather than the main drop-off, it usually costs £8 and gives quicker access to departures (stairs lead directly into the EasyJet check-in area).
There is also a bus to Gatwick from the bus-stop outside the Hotel, ask reception for details.

Usual HIE breakfast, I rarely use it.
Dinner - nothing in Hotel, there is a Harvester restaurant next door (chicken, steaks, etc), also recently refurbished. It can get very busy in the evenings, more with locals than hotel guests, and you may have a 15-30min wait for a table, but the food is usually ok and prices are reasonable. I prefer to go into Crawley, which is a 20min walk or £7 taxi. Good Indian restaurants in the main st - Blue India, Saffron and Taj Mahal, I use all of these regularly and can recommend them all.
Also a Pizza Express, Ask, Spanish Tapas place, and few others as well as several bars.

There are also several takeaway delivery options, if you want to eat in your room or in the bar area.

Ample free parking, although again it can get busy due to the Harvester next door.

Rates are usually excellent, in comparison with other HIE hotels.

WiFi charges are a rip-off, but that is a UK standard and not something you can blame this hotel for..

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Stuarttaylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Part of this hotel has beeb refurbished, the rooms in this area are by far the best that I have seen in any other Holiday Inn Express hotels.

Nive big flat TV - Excellent Bathroom

Free Parking

Harvester across the road

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly refurbished area
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

its friendly and the room is cosy and clean the price is really good too, theres not much to do nearby but there is a lot of restaurants to go to, me and my partner have been there 3 times already, i would recommend it to any one if you want a short break.
the staff are very firendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

I use Holiday Inn Express a lot because they are of a consistently good standard and represent value for money. Consequently I was surprised and very disappointed with the Crawley Holiday Inn Express. We had booked two rooms prior to an early morning flight from Gatwick airport. We were given two adjacent rooms which was considerate. However, one of the rooms turned out to be a store room, being FULL of broken furniture, mainly beds. On reporting this to reception a new room was provided on another floor. No apology or explanation was provided by the receptionist.

The room was fine, being up to Holiday Inn Express standards, apart from the pillows and the toilet. One of the good things about Holiday Inn Express is the choice of firm or soft pillows. I need a soft pillow. Unfortunately the four pillows on our double bed were all firm. The toilet bowel had not been cleaned properly, having ‘skid’ marks from a previous occupant!

We were leaving earlier than the advertised breakfast time. Reception had indicated that there would be food available. The hotel was true to its word, however, the orange juice was undrinkable.

On finishing breakfast we realised that we had forgotten the number of our room. The night receptionist, who clearly had a ‘couldn’t care less’ attitude, could only provide us with the number of the room we had been originally allocated!

I will continue to use Holiday Inn Express hotels based on my experiences elsewhere, but will definately stay elsewhere next time I fly out of Gatwick.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank davytUnitedKingdom
Salisbury UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

We were in the newer wing which was nicely furnished and quiet.

Breakfast choice was sufficient for us.

Easy check-in and out.

We used the Harvester Restaurant for our evening meal which was extremely busy and the waiting to be seated took a long time but the meal was fine.

Room Tip: A good stop over for Gatwick
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LurkerDave
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

This was my second visit to Holiday Inn Express Gatwick-Crawley and another time I am happy of my choice. I have booked standard '1 Double bed & 1 Sofa bed room' with a really great rate.
Hotel is located within few minutes drive from the Gatwick Airport and provides large, complimentary car park for guests. Follow road signs to Crawley and Three Bridges. It is just impossible to miss the hotel.
As I was arriving very late (+ flight delay) I have tried to contact hotel by phone. My call was answered within seconds. Reception staff was informed and they kept room for myself.
Check-in procedure was really quick and hassle-free with natural smile and behavior, which I really love in this hotel. Front desk staff was so helpful, to find some extra information for me that day and even print some map for myself. Much appreciated.
Room was on the ground floor and I was really surprised, that my double bed and sofa bed were ready to sleep (I mean both covered with clean, fresh linens). As I was travelling by myself, I should have informed them, that there is no need for sofa bed to be prepared. But that was actually almost the same size as my DBL bed. Good to know for future.
Room was spacious, clean, modern in style. Quite basic, but good quality equipment. There was small working area, flat-screen TV, phone, open wardrobe with hangers, hairdryer, large mirror. There was air-condition and radiator (I needed that as it was cold night). Kettle, cups and some coffee/tee in the room.
Bed was large enough for 2 Adults and really comfortable. I think this is my most favorite thing in this hotel - really good quality of sleep.
Bathroom is rather small, but well-maintained. large mirror-space (clean, which is not that obvious in some hotels). High-presure shower with separated with simple curtain. I like an idea of door which you could close or all bathroom or toilet only. That's clever. Shower-gel/shampoo is basic, but good quality. Clean, fresh, fluffy towels provided.
Basic buffet breakfast is served in lobby/brakfast area. Breakfast is complimentary. Fresh & quick - that's what you want in the morning. Really good express coffee machine is there for your convenience.
Check-out & payment procedure again efficient and without any problems. My Priority Club points have been counted, even so I was using special rate.
Only one negative comment (which really doesn't matter) is regarding your door key card cover - don't give it to the guests with expired promotions or offers - they could be dissapointed that they didn't use it - better not to know. But, as I said, this is only small opinion.
Overall, I am really happy again with HIE Gatwick-Crawley. Basic hotel, but with superb service and great staff. Really good quality of sleep and fantastic value for money. I will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank marqoos_pl
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

You've got to be realistic when staying at this (or any) Holiday Inn Express that you're not booking a 5* hotel; although I was (and am still) surprised that the HIX Crawley still charges 25,000 points for a night away, when you could stay for the same number of points at the Crowne Plaza only a short distance away.

But that said, when an offer at 15,000 points came up, I tpok the chance and I'm glad that I did. In fact I enjoyed it so much I came back the following week. The room itself is a fair size and recently refurbished, and the bathroom in particular had an excellent shower and I liked the look and feel with dark tiling even though that might not be to everyone's taste. The bed was fairly comfortable, although (shall we say) not generously sized for a double but the room was certainly clean.

The free breakfast is usual HIX fare with sausages and scrambled egg that taste of nothing. But provided you know that and avoid it, the croissants or other pastries were fine and seemed to be going down fine with the other guests. The bar itself is small, has a fairly limited range, and closes at 11pm too. However it wasn't busy at all - even at the weekend - and noise was no problem either.

As I say, overall don't expect too much - this is a budget hotel after all - but bearing in mind what you'd normally get at this price, it's really not bad at all and I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple