“DELIGHTFUL STAY SO UNLIKE USUAL AIRPORT DROSS”

Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“DELIGHTFUL STAY SO UNLIKE USUAL AIRPORT DROSS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Usually anywhere that has the word airport usually means one of two things - poky rooms with dirty windows, disinterested staff and extortionate parking charges for guests. None of these applied here. The hotel is really in Three Bridges not Crawley. It is within easy walking distance of Three Bridges station. Getting in is a slight challenge as the hotel is on a traffic island with the road all around. That said, parking is easy and free. The entrance is very welcoming and bright and I was offered a room in the refurbished part of the hotel which is brand spanking new. The hotel is quiet.

My room was of a generous size for what was really an overnight stay, there were tea and coffee making facilities and the room was at a pleasant temperature. The bed was a fair size for a single person but might be a bit challenging for two depending on the level of intimacy one might wish to adopt! The bathroom was beautifully appointed and I liked the walk in shower very much. There was a proper working facility - and Hoorah! - the wifi access was free and worked well. There was a Harvester restaurant next door which is very popular so if you want to eat there go and tell them as early as you can so that you get the time that you want. I ate there and whilst this is no gastronomic experience - my food was hot and tasty and they serve until 22.00pm.

All in all it was an excellent choice - I slept well (my early morning call request worked perfectly) and on leaving the hotel breakfast (free!) was being organised (6.00am). My only comment is that it might be helpful if the staff did not leave the desk unmanned at that time of the morning and sit in the back office. The drive to Gatwick is easy and took me no more than 15 minutes to the North Terminal.

I was somewhat concerned that I needed to check out and there was no one to help me. That said, it was a very minor blip in an otherwise excellent stay. This was superb value for money and a big Well Done for a great night's stay. I can recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: All seemed fine to me - the hotel is quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PAULWOODS1
CRYUK, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive and detailed review of our hotel,

we take all comments very seriously and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I understand your concern in regards to the desk being unmanned, our receptionists do have to man breakfast at certain times, however I will pass these comments onto the entire team as we wish to give all of our guests an attentive and stress free service.

Once again, thank you your comments and we hope that you choose to stay with us again soon,

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for one night on a Friday as we had a business meeting during the day and were going to London for a night out. Hotel accomodation was fine, however on a rrom at the end of a coridoor and it was a little cold at the begining of March. The room was OK when I put the heating up. Room as you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express clean and tidy and perfect for a nights stay.

Newspaper which I had ordered was not delivered no big deal, bit you do expect to get what you have ordered.

Breakfast a little limited and not what I had expected, not a lot of choice and a bit of a dissapointment.

Otherwise a very good stay.

Room Tip: Go for one in the mide section, not on the end.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel,

I am sorry that you seem to have not received a paper that you ordered as we do not offer a paper service such as this. We do offer a complimentary paper which is always in the lounge each morning, but not a paper delivered to your room. I am very sorry that this may not have been explained properly to you.

In regards to breakfast, it is in line with IHG standards, however I will pass on your comments to higher management as we do take every comment very seriously.

Thank you once again for your comments,
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights , it was our first time at a holiday inn . Booking in was very good as we had booked in advance .The room was very good , it was clean and everything worked fine , the shower was excellent and i was intrigued with the bathroom door which doubled up to make a separate toilet compartment .There was a large flat screen LCD whith freeview that all worked fine . Our only very minor comment is the duvet should have been a bit bigger .The reception was fine and we found the complimentary breakfast just right for us .We had cereal and toast , there was croisants , sausages and scrambled eggs if you wanted them . it was very clean and well stocked by the waitresses who did an excellent job , and with who we got with really well. We went to the Harvester one night which was 50 yds away across the car park and had an excellent meal with a bottle of wine at very reasonable cost , below £45 for three courses and drinks including a bottle of wine as i was not driving that night.All in all it was an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing such positive and detailed feedback regarding your stay,

we are delighted that you enjoyed every aspect and you are able to recommend us,

We hope that you choose to stay with us again,
Skegness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Picked at last minute ,room very clean ,air con/heating worked very well. Bathroom spotless shower could have done with more power.breakfast had all the basics you could wish for at the price. For the money first class and would stay again

Room Tip: Stay in new extension
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback about our hotel,

we are very pleased that you found your room comfortable, clean and good value,

we hope that we can welcome you back once again,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is a great hotel for breaking the journey when flying out of Gatwick
Everything was good including the Harvester package. Reception staff were excellent and the room was very comfortable.
BUT breakfast was a total disappointment. I gather that Holiday Inn Express have a new breakfast package!!
Do they consider this to be an improvement?
No bacon, rubbery scrambled eggs sitting all morning in the hot cupboard (which made me gag) and no option for a freshly cooked fried or poached egg and no tomato.
I headed off to the airport to buy a decent breakfast

Room Tip: Rooms on inner side are quiter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CyprusharbourView
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I am very sorry that you did not consider the breakfast to be of the same standard, our breakfast does meet the brand standards of IHG, however we take all our comments very seriously and I have forwarded your views onto our breakfast team and higher management so that they are aware.

I hope that you choose to stay with us again,

Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I got an excellent rate for this hotel through a promotion which makes me feel almost as though I am being picky in passing judgement on the breakfast but, since it's a key characteristic of Holiday Inn Express's marketing message, I am going to make the comments anyway.
Firstly though, my room - small but clean and fresh smelling, with a small but well - lit bathroom with a good shower. The room was cold when I arrived, though it was after midnight, so I had to turn the HVAC on and it made two loud bangs in the night, waking me each time.
The hotel car park was a reasonable size and well lit, and check - in was efficient and friendly.
As warned, I wasn't impressed with breakfast however. Holiday Inn Express made a song and dance a couple of years ago about the launch of a hot breakfast - while breakfast has always been included in the rate, it always used to be a cold spread. Nowadays however, there are sausages, beans and scrambled egg available. Unfortunately, it feels to me as though in offering a hot breakfast within the price, quality has been sacrificed both on the hot and cold range. Staff were unable to answer whether the eggs were free - range or not and the sausages were unpleasant cheap meat. The croissants were of the cheapest type made without butter and the bread seems to be "value brand" standard too.
I would rather have a decent cold breakfast with a restricted choice than a mediocre one with a wider selection, and a three - item hot selection including sausages is unlikely to appeal to vegetarians or people who don't eat pork for reasons of religious observance. Coffees and juices are from machines, and share the characteristic of being rather short on flavour.
I appreciate that the inclusion of the "free" breakfast (I use inverted commas since of course it's part of the price you pay!) is a key message for Holiday Inn Express, but I feel that if they try to squeeze cost out too much, they will end up with an unpalatable product offering that's almost not worth having!

1 Thank nivagh
CRYUK, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a detailed review about our hotel.

We are pleased that you were able to find a rate that you wee pleased with and that your room met all of your needs.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the breakfast quality and standard. Our breakfast is in line with IHG standards however I appreciate and have taken on board your comments.

I will be sure that our highest management team are made aware of your comments and I hope that this has not altered your faith within our company and brand and we hope that you will be able to stay with us once again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

As usual, Holiday Inn have got the formula just about spot on. The room is comfortable, clean, spacious and pleasant. Staff are efficient and well presented. Fair breakfast selection.

Price - fairly keen, but a tad toward the pricey side. I would expect that they are keeping a close eye on the competition (Premier Inn and the like).

Only one complaint - Wifi should be free, Holiday Inn seem to still want to charge. I think this is an unfortunate commercial error.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely pleased that the room was clean and comfortable for you.

We take all our comments very seriously and I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the Wifi charges to management.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel,