“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is a good hotel, check in was a breeze and the staff are lovely (shout out to James). I stayed here for several nights due to a training course and it was excellent. The rooms are lovely and clean, the shower was massive. Breakfast did what it said on the tin - Sausage, Beans, Scrambled eggs, Bread for toast (toast yourself), Bread rolls, Croissantes, Muffins, Various cereals, Grapefruit segments, etc plus lots of jam, Nutella, Marmite etc. Coffee machine is ok - not Starbucks but its ok. Rooms come with Tea, Coffee and if you need more just ask at reception. Slight issue with key card - we had to keep having them re-programmed but not a massive issue. The Harvester provided entertainment as some of the staff were "not too good" but I'll review that seperately - it is good value though. Would recommend to anyone and would'nt hesitate booking in here if I was flying out of Gatwick (fyi - taxi is approx £5) - its a Holiday Inn, remember that, its not the Savoy so stop complaining!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such kind words about the hotel.

I am thrilled you had an easy check-in experience. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast. We adhere to the standards of a Holiday Inn Express when it comes to breakfast and we hope it provides something for everybody. As for the coffee, I have passed along your comments to our breakfast supervisor so we can attempt to improve this facility.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

Stayed here for one night in October. Rooms where typical holiday inn, clean, comfortable. The staff were very polite and friendly. There is a small bar and comfortable lounge with two large screen televisions in all the hotel is ok for one or two nights stay. Snacks and pre made sandwiches can be purchased. An harvester pub adjacent with restaurant and bar meals service. All in all a very typical holiday inn, which are ok for one or two night stop over

Room Tip: Foot traffic noise from floors above, suggest top floor rooms will not have this
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Our staff are always delighted to receive positive feedback about the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

stayed here for one night before early morning flight from Gatwick, efficient check in, and room was basic but functional, and very clean. Great value for money compared to other "airport" hotels" would thoroughly recommend.

1 Thank GWilson1964
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel. Our staff take pride in the work they do and I know they are happy yo see such kind words about the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the Gatwick area.

California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

My wife and I arrived late one night after roughly 24 hours of continuous travelling into Gatwick. At the check-in counter, the clerk pulled up my reservation and asked that I provide the TripAdvisor internet voucher that was used to book my room and provide payment. I was certain that I had booked and prepaid (one of the nonrefundable. prepaid rates) on the Holiday Inn website...but I think the jet lag had caught up with me and I wasn't quite sure how to respond.
I tried to explain that I had prepaid and my online bank account showed that the funds had already been transferred. I did recall that I looked the hotel up in Trip Advisor but was certain that I had paid for the room via a different website. What's more, I had NO idea that a Trip Advisory voucher existed for things like that (it made sense, I just didn't know they had them). Anyway, I showed the clerk the confirmation email that I had received, but he kept insisting that I needed to provide a voucher and recommended that I buy some time for the internet kiosk so I could print off the aforementioned document.
I actually considered doing as he requested but couldn't think of how I could convince him of my veracity without producing that "mystical" voucher.
Finally, the clerk did some more research on his computer and somewhere it showed that I had indeed paid for the room and didn't need to provide anything else.

Anyway, I would have given it a lower rating but the rest of our short stay turned out better. A decent breakfast with hot item options and great service by food service staff. Also, the service at the front desk the next day was great. Rooms are what you'd expect.
If you're taking the bus to Gatwick, the bus stop is a short walk away, right across the street and visible from the lobby.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

First of all, let me apologise for the inconvenience you experienced while checking-in to the hotel. The voucher you were asked to provide does exist but you should never have been asked for it at check-in. A full investigation has been launched as to why you were asked to provide such a document to make sure no such thing happens again in the future.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Shame the good value we received by early booking was marred by a pathetic, self service, almost non existent breakfast and a poor dinner at the nearby Harvester, who obviously do well from the shared car park with the hotel.

The room was good value but I would have wanted a partial refund if I had paid more than the £53.99, due to the poor breakfast offering. The 3 dried sausages in the hot dish(all that was left) were horrible and how can a chef make baked beans taste so strange-that takes skill? The coffee was dreadful and I have not had a worst breakfast since the mid eighties in any country!

If we did not have a flight to catch I would have complained there and then but the queue at the checkout did not give me time to do so- I just will not be going there again when I use Gatwick.
Also poor sleep due to constant traffic noise- the hotel is on a busy roundabout!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peterscarff
Matthew A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I am saddened to here that you had a bad breakfast experience whilst here. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you may have received while dining with us however in regards to the items on offer, they comply with the standards of all express hotels in this country.

Your comments have been shared with our breakfast staff and will be doing everything possible to improve their service in the restaurant.

Thank you once again for your comments and I apologise once again.

Best Regards

Holywood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

On arrival at Gatwick airport, we took the no.20 Metrobus (£2.00 each) which dropped us beside the HIE Crawley (only hand luggage) Efficient, friendly check in. Room was very clean and compact with a window which opens - always good to avoid stuffiness!! Breakfast was adequate and comprised of cereals, breads, croissants, yoghurts, scrambled egg and beans. Breakfast area not very big but we always got a table and the breakfast staff worked hard to clear away dishes. We found the staff friendly and enjoyed our stay very much.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

The bus is indeed the cheapest and provides an efficient way to get to the hotel from the airport. Alternatively there are taxis that you can get but they are an expensive option.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Our staff make a huge effort to provide everything you require whilst you are here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Middlesbrough
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed before a flight to Egypt and had booked in for night of return and informed them we would not arrive until about 2am. On arrival we were told our room had been given to someone else and hotel full. Not happy, eventually someone booked out for early flight so got a room, money refunded, not good enough, we are also Gold members for IHG, where is the loyalty.

Room Tip: Before our flight out we went to the Six Bells for evening meal, it is excellent, but worth booking...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GPJMiddlesbrough
himanagment, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Many thanks for your recent review, however looking at the specific details listed in your description it would seem that your review relates to the Holiday inn Gatwick.

I have completed a in house investigation and it would appear that we did not have such incident as described by yourself happen in our hotel recently.

Please feel free to pass your reservation number to so that we can find your exact location of recent stay.

We will be happy to help where we can.

Best Regards