“Airconditioning is a let down”

Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Airconditioning is a let down”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Used this hotel when we went to Brighton. This hotel is in a good location. It is just 25-30 mins from Brighton. The hotel room is clean and quiet. However the centralised air-conditioning was a let down and not helpful on hot summer nights. Minimum temperature was 18C and fan blower was weak so we had to open our window. This is my first time to use an "Express" hotel branch so I guess others Holiday Inn Express have the save centralised air-conditioning system. The free buffet breakfast is good but staff took long time to replace empty food containers so I had to wait few minutes to get those breakfast food items. The plus was the ice maker machine.

Room Tip: Use greenroom codes for discounts.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Matthew A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be in a convenient location. We are, as you state, only 25-30 minutes from Brighton and only 35-40 minutes away from London.

I would like to apologise that you room was not cool enough for you. We do provide fans on request which also could have helped you but i do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for commenting on our express breakfast. I will investigate the reasoning for you having to wait for some items as this is not a standard we abide by.

Thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley and I hope to see you at the hotel again soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bo'ness
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Good hotel, comfortable, double bed was a bit soft and small but still comfortable, breakfast was ideal and all you really need. Most of the staff were very good letting s know where we could eat as the Harvester next to the hotel was very busy and had a 90 minute waiting time to get fed. We stayed a couple of nights as we were visiting family in Brighton, the only blot was one member of staff who looked like she did not want to be there or serve us, but the rest made up for it and it was a good stay

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express.

I am glad that our staff made your stay at the hotel even more enjoyable. We are only a 10 minute walk from Crawley Town Centre which gives you many options when it comes to finding a good restaurant. I am pleased that on this occasion, that was the case.

Essex
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My family which was 5 adults plus 2children booked a family room for 2 adults and a triple room for 3 adults for the 3rd of August to fly on the 4th to Spain. What a lovely modern hotel. The walk in shower was something else. There was a Harvester next door for an evening meal. Although the room for the 3 adults was a little small it was fine for the 1 night. Breakfast was included and as we booked 21 days in advance we only paid £126 in total, which was great value for money. We had rooms on ground floor which was great. Friendly and professional on reception. Would have liked a shuttle service to the airport. Would use again

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have luggage
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for your kind words regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I am thrilled that on this occasion we were able to accommodate you and your family at a reasonable price.

We unfortunately do not operate a shuttle service to the airport. This is because there is a public bus that runs from directly outside the hotel to the airport every 15 minutes. This proves a good alternative to taxis which are used often from the hotel at a cost of just £11.

Lincolnshire
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed on return from holiday- arrived at about 1:30am and was dealt with promptly by man at reception. He was nice and friendly despite the early hour. Went to our room which was no 351 (highest number they had) so I don't know whether that means they were fully booked or not? Room was fairly small but tastefully decorated and bathroom was very nice!

Aircon didn't really go cool enough for my liking so I was quite hot all night but still managed a reasonable nights sleep.

Went down for breakfast the next morning at about 9 am which on reflection was probably their busiest time (and as referred to earlier, they were possibly fully booked) and it was quite honestly a shambles. We managed to get the last free table and sent my husband off to get himself some food while I guarded the table. He came back with a sausage, some scrambled eggs and some beans and told me he'd nabbed the last sausage (sad times- I was looking forward to a good old full english after 10 days abroad).

I ventured to the food area which was tiny! I'd say approximately half the size of our bedroom (which I'd already described as small for 2 people!). I found only beans and scrambled eggs in the little cooked food area. I cornered a staff member and asked about sausages to be told they'd be a couple of minutes (I also hoped some bacon would also appear, but alas, I was to be disappointed). In the meantime I queued up to get some toast then wandered off in search of some drink - found both hot and cold but there were no cups or glasses. A couple of minutes later a staff member found some cardboard cups so used them although no sign of any spoons (of any variety) so I had to scoop my tea bag out with a fork handle.

While I was doing this some sausages appeared so I hurried off but unfortunately there were no normal sized plates so had to squeeze my breakfast onto a side plate, so it was probably just as well there was no bacon and hardly any eggs at this point!

Got back to the table and husband ventured off for some muesli but there were still no spoons- he managed to track down a staff member and a couple of minutes later she appeared with about half a dozen of them which obviously then disappeared immediately.

So all in all a shambles, however upon check out the receptionist apologised and explained they were very busy and short staffed and did actually check that we did manage to get some breakfast.

I am not marking the hotel down of the problems with breakfast as I can appreciate that sometimes problems happen- another guest mentioned they hadn't had any problems the day before. But mainly I'm not marking them down on the principle that they include breakfast in the price- we paid £44 for the room and I know most hotels charge at least £10 per person for breakfast and I have seen some charge upwards of £15 per person. And this, in my opinion makes it very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockton on Tees
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We used this as our overnight en-route to Newhaven (ferry) we booked online several months in advance and paid just £44 which for 4 (2+2) with breakfast was fantastic the standard advertised rate in arrival is £79. The hotel had a Harvester Pub next to it which was a welcome addition and served good value food and drink. The hotel was clean and pretty new. The room was small for a family room but did the job double bed and double sofabed. The staff seemed little confused when we called down for 4 extra pillows. With "4" being the response, one I told them then there were actually four they arrived within minutes. Would not hesitate to stop there again even if at the "full" rate.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a kind review regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I know our housekeeping staff will be thrilled to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. They all work tirelessly to ensure that all rooms are spotless for every guest use.

Orpington
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here before our flight to Cyprus, not wanting to get stuck n the motorway in the morning rush hour, we checked in and went to our room, a family room, it was lovely and clean, the main bed had a choice of firm or soft pillows, the sofa had been made up for our daughter, in the bathroom, there was a gorgeous shower with glass door, I used this almost straight away, it was so lovely I couldn't get out of it. we used the harvester restaurant next door, which was very convenient, the main shopping centre was close by if you needed anything. in the morning we had breakfast in the allocated room, which had plenty of tables, the choice of breakfast was not enormous but there was something for everyone, toast, cereal, cooked items, yogurt, fruit etc, plus the normal tea, coffee, orange juice, quite a nice breakfast to keep us going for a couple of hours, a good stay overall, and will stay again next year, in fact have already booked.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Holiday Inn Express Crawley.

I would like to thank you for the kind words you have posted about the hotel and I hope that you enjoyed your holiday.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when next flying out of Gatwick.

London
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Lovely hotel, good location for Hawth theatre. Only two problems was the fact that our booking hadnt come through to the hotel and the room wasn't ready. Also, breakfast was disappointing and was not managed efficiently- lots of things were empty, glasses not by the fruit juice, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Matthew A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

At only a very brief walk away, we are, as you have suggested, an ideal location for visiting the Hawth Theatre. May I apologise for the issue with your booking; I will investigate further into the cause of this.
I am also disappointed to hear you found our breakfast to be less than great. As a Holiday Inn Express, we offer a complimentary buffet breakfast with hot items and strive to keep it fully stocked at all times.

I extend my apologies for us not fully living up to your expectation in this instance and hope you you will return again.