“Best family park in Sussex”
Review of Tilgate Park

Tilgate Park
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Crawley
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best family park in Sussex”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went with two adults, two little boys and a baby and everyone of us had a fantastic day. The parking is £3 for all day and every penny is reinvested into Tilgate park. There is a massive play area for all ages a boating lake and a small farm which you can touch and hold some of the animals. You can also go for the Go Ape experience which is fairly priced and ran by very enthusiastic and friendly staff. If you are hungry and can't be bothered with the picnic (which is a shame because it's the most beautiful picnic setting) you have a choice of the rather expensive but very good Smith and Western restaurant or the very reasonable friendly cafe next to the farm both serve extremely good food! For a cheap outside day out for all the family it's perfect I our opinion!!!

Visited March 2014

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Crawley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great day out for everyone.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have visited Tilgate park several times. There is a lot to see and do, even if you are on a budget. There are plenty of open spaces for picnics, walking and ball games,an adventure playground with lots of play equipment for children of all ages and also the beautiful walled garden, a maze. the lake and a forest, all of which costs nothing! My family and I enjoy walking the dogs around the lake which is very relaxing. There is also a morning run around the lake (I can't remember what day it's on but anyone can join in.There should be details on the website.)

There are rowing boats for hire at a reasonable price.

The nature area is inexpensive and you can see a range of farm animals, various birds, meercats, small furry animals, snakes, a terrantula and a few others.

There are craft units to look around with various crafts to see and buy, a cafe and also a Smith and Western's pub which has an outside seating area so you can enjoy a drink or a meal outside overlooking the park. Dogs are allowed in this area.

There are toilets, including an accessible toilet and baby changing facilities.
There is a car park with reasonable parking rates.

The newest addition to the park is the Go Ape high wire course. There is both a junior and adult course (see the Go Ape website for more information). This is more expensive than the other activities but I've heard it's very good.

I would recommend a visit at any time of the year, in fact several times throughout the year to see the lake and the trees during the different seasons.

If you decide to visit don't forget to take a camera as you will be able to take some fantastic photographs. I hope you enjoy Tilgate park as much as my family and I do!

Visited April 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good value day out :)”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I visited tilgate park with a friend and our 4 year old children , I have been many times to see the animals my son was very excited to see the meerkats :)

Crawley Down, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Getting better but still needs improvement”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have been going to Tilgate all of my life so 34 years so far. I go there many times a month to go and walk round for some fresh air. Since the council gave it up it's lost a bit of sparkle and the works that followed for me brought nothing to the park. That said its still a lovely place and providing you escape the park where many of the children gravitate to its actually very peaceful. There is still a big issue with lazy dog owners not clearing up after their dogs and this year it's worse than ever.

The one issue I still have is the state of the Zoo. Yes it's cheap at £2 but it's in such a sad state. I visited yesterday on the 2nd April 2014 and it was bad. There were several very sorry looking birds missing feathers and tails, the Degu pen was looking dreadful and there was one in particular missing a tail, looking mangy and was hardly moving at all. The glass on the pen was very badly cracked last year and to our amazement had still not been fixed. There was also a sharp sign laying on its side in the pen that also had not been sorted out. There are many pens just empty and overgrown seriously needing attention and this just continues through the place.

I hope things improve at tilgate as this is a place very close to my heart. Just go and enjoy it but treat it with respect.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Adam F
Brighton, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nature Centre”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had a great time visiting the nature centre one Friday afternoon in March. Not many people there. Which was good for us as we could have a good look at the animals. The otters were a delight. Also the meerkats were fun to watch.The cafe was not open so we could not have a coffee. We have not been to this park for many years and we thought it looked so much better. We will go again when the weather gets warmer.

Visited March 2014