“Grubbsville”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Grubbsville”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This is an airport hotel that was once something better. It's huge, it's worn, its grubby but its relatively cheap. I attend every year for my industry's annual conference, this year there was a p@nis and b0llocks greased onto the bathroom mirror by a previous occupant which kind of sums up the atmosphere of the place quite nicely. I asked staff at reception to have it cleaned off but it wasn't done. There is one munter on reception who will deliberately and consistently ignore you but the rest of the staff throughout the hotel are fantastic; always polite, accommodating and friendly. The quality of the food is poor ie sawdust sausages, reconstituted potatoes, cold tasteless frozen veg etc. Breakfast sometimes gets overwhelmed by the volume of guests so if you want to eat, make sure you're in the dining room nice and early. Plenty free parking and regular shuttle buses to the airport. Everything's cheap at this hotel so don't come with high expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for your review. We were very sorry to read about the problems you had whilst with us. We would be very interested to know who the member of staff was at Reception - if you know the name please e-mail via customer services on the Britannia website so we can investigate separately.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
garden of sun, altinkum
Reviewed 12 November 2012

well well well,, what can i say,, we decided on a trip to london with national holidays staying at this hotel UNTIL i read the reviews, OMG, decided against it, decided on Blackpool instead, read reviews on that hotel, not quite as bad as the europa but still not good,, anyhow to cut a long story short i hadnt finished my payment off so NO BLACKPOOL, so, thought oh we,ll go to London, we,ll only be sleeping in the room, it cant be that bad AND am so glad we did,, yeah maybe it is a bit tired, but the room was huge with a settee and 2 easy chairs to sit in, hair dryer, complimentary tray (tea and coffee) trouser press, central heating which was easily adjustable to suit, instant HOT water, bath/jacuzzi/shower and the whitest sheets and towels, more storage than ive ever had for a fortnight, only a small tv but hey,,, so what,,, the food was quite good,, was hot, maybe it was gammon 2 nights on the trot BUT there still was other options,, breakfast ok, full english etc etc, now to the BAR prices,,, £3.45 a pint,,,,ohhhhhhhhh,, SHOCKING i heard one old geezer saying, your near London love,, get a grip, we pay £3,50 in our local when we do go out,, and the other week we had a drink in a frankie and bennys and that was £4.40, now that is expensive, so glad my payment to blackpool didnt go through, i really enjoyed my stay here, i felt so relaxed, so DONT always look at reviews and think negative, some people just like to moan, really winds me up,,

Room Tip: we were in room 3109, didnt hear much of anything,,
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank genaOB
We were pleased you enjoyed your stay as part of a coach tour to London. Although there are negative reviews, we do receive many positive reviews and we thank youf or taking the time to post yours.
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a coach trip. Room was very tired and needed a complete refurb. coridors smelt of damp. The evening meal was part of our deal and was advertised as a choice of 2 carveries, but on halloween night they had gamon an only gammon. I asked if they had an alternative meat but they didnt. On the second night the carvery was again gammon, but also pork so nothing if you didnt eat anything from the pig family. The queue to get meat was huge, as it did not seem that it was anyones job to carve it, so it sat whole until a person came from the kitchen to carve it, then they went back into the kitchen until another huge queue had formed. This issue needs to be addressed. The other food was edible, but not that tasty. I was expecting the breakfast to be awful too, but that was so much better and quite tasty and seemed more organised. I would not stay here again, althought it was good value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mrsdNewcastle
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We were very concerned to read about the dining issues you highlighted. These will be addressed at our weekly management meeting in an effort to rectify the problems as they arise.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

cannot comment on car park or spa, did not use them.Bar overpriced, i was served by an illmannered girl of foreign origin, surely please/ thank you should be a basic requirement for staff? Food was fine with plenty of choice morning and night,dining-room staff rather bossy on where people sat,maids did not replace tea/coffee facilities or bathroom requisites on a daily basis which was always the norm in a Brittannia hotel.Reception ignored the fact that the smoke alarm in our room (3126)was covered by a polythene bag, I would not book here myself, i was on a coach trip

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. We are sorry for the lack of customer service you encountered at the Bar. We will also be speaking to housekeeping/maintenance teams regarding the smoke alarm issue in your room. This should have been checked prior to your arrival and we are sorry this was obviously not the case.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Europa as part of a coach trip. The room was fine,clean and spacious. Clean towels and tea, coffee etc every day. The heating was a bit hit and miss but one evening when the radiator was cold a convector heater was provided within a few minutes of reporting this. The food was great although not much choice of starters or puddings on an evening. All in all excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Y0rkshirewalker
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Last week we got married at the Gatwick Europa hotel and I cannot praise them enough. I was organising it long distance and could not have done it without the help, efficiency and friendly interest of the function staff. Everything was clearly explained, my wishes were acted upon and any queries were immediately answered. On the day they just took control quietly and EVERYTHING worked smoothly and perfectly. They were determined it would be a wonderful day, and it was!

(The above is related to the wedding, rather than the hotel. We did stay there and so did many of our guests. There were one or two room issues with the heating but on the whole most people were perfectly satisfied. Perhaps it is time for a bit of refurbishment soon, but it's clean with spacious rooms and the breakfast was very good.)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
We were delighted your wedding day ran smoothly and you were happy with all the arrangements. We would like to wish you both all the best for the future.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had the misfortune of having to stay here in room 2202 for two days whilst on a friends stag do in early November, and felt compelled to write a review of it as I had a number of issues.

On arrival at the hotel it all seemed ok - the lobby area all seemed acceptable. Its obviously not to the same standards at The Dorchester, but then I didn't expect it to be as it is only a three star hotel (or at least supposed to be three star).

Things however went seriously wrong once I arrived in my room. Firstly, there were a lot of mould spots in the bathroom (photos attached). I think that this was probably due to the fact that the extractor fan was not working.

The second problem was with the towls. Firstly, there was only one bath towl included when two people were sharing the room (the room had two single beds). I wasn't overly concerned with this as it isn't normally a problem to get another towl in a hotel. However, when I actually looked more closely at the towl we did have it appeared to have some brown coloured staining on it (photo attached). I'm not too sure what caused this but I can guess what conclusions could be drawn.

Things then however got even worse when it came to the pillows. There was one on my bed but I thought I needed a second one to get comfortable, so I reached to the storage area in the room to grab one. To my amazement there was a blood stain on the pillow! (Again, photo attached). At this point I became extremly concerned, so decided to wonder down to reception to have words with the night staff whilst carrying the offending items with me.

The two staff on reception were both foreign and didn't seem to understand the gravity of the situation (unless of course they considered blood stains to be normal). All I could get out of them was a quick sorry and a new pillow and towls before being sent on my way back to my room.

There were other problems with the room as well, from rusty and mouldy fixtures and fittings in the bathroom (pictures attached), and also dirty walls (pictures also attached).

Problems were not confined to my room either, a friend had water leaking down the inside of his wall which I assume was from either a leak in the roof of the hotel or perhaps a leak from pipework in the loft area. Unfortunately I cannot remember his room number. From seeing other friends rooms on the second floor I would say that all of the ones I went into were in need of redecoration.

There was however one positive the hotel had. For breakfast we were quickly seated and there was plenty of food out. I found that the cooked breakfast items were enjoyable enough.

Maureen Wood, if you are still reading reviews on here I trust that you will look into these issues and resolve them, as if I had booked the hotel myself I would have asked for a refund and left as I was that disappointed with my stay. There is more I could say and if you leave your email address I could perhaps contact you to point these out.

In summary, as things stand now I would in no way recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CornishTraveller100
Thank you for your detailed feedback following your recent stay at the Europa. We do take all complaints very seriously. If you want to send us an e-mail, please direct through customer services on the Britannia website. Room 2202 will be ear marked as a priority for our rolling maintenance programme.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Regency Hotel Gatwick
Regency Hotel Gatwick
#24 of 28 in Crawley
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick

Been to Europa Gatwick Hotel? Share your experiences!