“Superb value stay before gatwick flight”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Superb value stay before gatwick flight”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed in the lodge 11th november for the night before our flight from gatwick, we paid just £50 for the night including buffet dinner, buffet breakfast and a bottle of wine, for the price we worked out we were basically paying about £5 for the room time you costed the included food and drink.

The room is a little small, the freeview tv breaking up a lot, but it was clean, warm and comfortable so really can't complain at all.

The dinner was a carvery setup, with few other choices too - only minor complaint is why the gravy is located next to the meat being carved, so as you make your way along to get your veg etc to go with the meat, you then have to try and get back into the queue for the meat again.

Breakfast was very good too, wondered around and found the gym/spa area which looked good too although we never used it.

If we couldn't get into the royal albion hotel (also britannia hotels) in brighton for a cheap stay, i would consider staying here if going to brighton instead.

Only thing i think let it down a little was allowing people who are leaving their cars here whilst on holiday to park directly in front of the lodge, so when they return in the early hours, the cars headlights glare through the curtains and wake you up.

Will be returning, especially if £50 again.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the bed in the lodge is 3/4 sized, maybe if staying more than 1 night go for the...
1 Thank chris_in_broadstairs
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. We were pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will consider the Europa next time you are thinking of visiting the Brighton area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Czech first
stafford
Reviewed 22 November 2012

On arrival hotel car park was very busy and had to drive around for 5 mins to find a space.
No warm welcome at receptoin just a key thrust in my direction. Found room and entered, somebody already in the room! Ooops! Back to reception, no apology just another key thrust again without a smile. Room and bathroom simply terrible, everything is shabby and worn out,
battle with the wardrobe doors to open and then thought about taking a shower, after checking out the bathroom I decided not to shower, not dirty but mold everywhere and rusty taps. Not to any standard I would accept and it was only the fact that I arrived late and was flying at 4am that I did not leave to find somewhere else. Ventured to the bar which was pretty expensive, sat in a worn out chair and looked up, I decided to play count the dead insects in the uplighters.
All I can say is TERRIBLE and AVOID at all costs (It wasn't even cheap anyway!) place like this do not deserve to stay in business!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank StaffordNoddy
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2012
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We apologise for the lack of customer care and service you encountered at Reception. All reviews received are discussed at our weekly meeting in an effort to rectify the problems as they arise.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

as soon as we got to this hotel,i knew it wasnt going to be good,we had to drive round the carpark for nearly 10 mins just to find a parking space,as it seems they let gatwick travellers leave cars here,well theres not enough room for the ammount of cars they allow.
check in was pure comedy,the guy hardly spoke a word of english,and spent time on his mobile whilst trying to book us in,he then just pointed off to the distance as directions to our room,now as for the room,it was large,thats the positives out the way,it also stank of mold,the beds were of a very poor quality,with a spring digging in my back most of the night,i was glad it was just for 1 night.
breakfast was a joke,with poor quality food,served cold,and in the case of the fried eggs,fried,then kept warm in the oven till like rubber,then left to go cold before finally being served,there was some sort of conference on the same weekend as we were there,and it was abit of a stampede when fresh food came from the kitchen.
would i use this hotel again??? NO , i would rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: my tip is stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank pitball
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We were sorry to read the Europa did not live up to your expectations on this occasion and understand you do not wish to return. Should you reconsider, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

On arrival check-in was quik, however the three staff that were working , looked very miserable and not very welcoming! which gave us the impression of not wanting to be there .(needs to be sorted)

the room - was horrible , very OLD and deffinutly needed a REFERB. The decor was very strange which had weird pictures of mushrooms on the wall. The room was freezing cold however I did turn up the heating which went from hot air then 10 mins later cold air. The bed omg , was squeeky as hell as if it had been in that room for YEARS all the springs had gone.The furniture was rotting away and also to add there was damp stains on the walls . not impressed. The room had the smallest telly in the world .

On departure we had to collect a deposit of £43 , which took 25 mins to get back as to which the staff just kept faffing around ! Last on my list was leaving the place to get back to the car to discover one the staff had parked right behind us blocking us in !!! the member of staff was very rude and stormed out,mooved his car and then parked it behind another car blocking them in when we left a space?!?!!

This hotel is discusting DO NOT COME HERE!

1 Thank aworsfold390
Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. We were sorry to read you encountered problems at the hotel from the moment you arrived. We will be speaking to the Front Office Manager to ensure we portray the levels of customer service that one would expect to receive.
Mablethorpe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a large hotel near Gatwick airport so it is useful for the night before an early morning flight or the night after a late evening flight, it also has extensive grounds where they will allow you to park your car while you are away (for a fee) there is an hourly bus transfer to the airport (for a fee) but the return bus from the airport is free. The hotel looks as if it was designed in the 1920s or 30s and the bed seems to date from the same period without benefit of a replacement mattress.
The best thing about this hotel was the breakfast which is a buffet style full cooked breakfast which is half rice if you pay at check in.
The reception staff were not very knowledgeable and had to refer to a map to tell us where our room was. None of the staff appeared to have English as a first language and some did not have it as a second, third or fourth.
The bathroom was filthy with a deep layer of fluf on the floor and mould on the shower head and tiles.

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We were sorry to read you were unhappy with some aspects in your room. Had we known at the time, we would have been happy to resolve the issues or change your room for you.
Manchester
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights to be able to explore the sights of London without the expensive price tag of City hotels. The hotel is a bit dated and in need of refurbishment but the rooms are serviced daily and are clean. The meals are quite repetative but there is a reasonable choice. Tea and coffee making facilities and a hair dryer are supplied in the room and there is warm air central heating which soon gets the room nice and toasty! There is a nice indoor swimming pool and a jacuzzi and gym! It is close to Gatwick Airport so is good if you need an overnight stay for an early flight.
I would say this hotel is a good base for exploring the surrounding area ie: Windsor, London Banbury etc.
Thought the bar prices a bit high - for 2 pints and 2 glasses of wine was £18.40p! so you certainly don't get drunk here.
Overall a very pleasant stay and I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Only 2 floors to this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review. We were pleased you were satisfied with your three night stay at the Europa whilst exploring the surrounding areas and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

It took almost an hour to check in, when I did get to the front of the line one of the reception staff would not book me as I was not a member of the coach party. There was no indication that he was only checking in the coach party. It seemed as though he took pleasure in making me wait a little longer, smirking to his colleague.

I had an evening meal included in my stay and as I had previously sampled the carvery, I though better not to subject myself to it again. I decided to order from the bar menu, the bar man would not order my meal until I produced a meal voucher from reception. I joined the line at reception for ten minutes only to be told by the same rude receptionist that he didn't have time to print my meal voucher and that I should come back in a little while.

I asked him to repeat what he had said as I simply could not believe what he was telling me.

It took almost an hour for me to speak to somebody that would issue a meal voucher.

A further 30min wait for my food once I was "allowed" to order it.

BAD SERVICE
BAD FOOD
FUSTY SMELLING ROOM

AVOID THIS HOTEL!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank I-stay-in-lots
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2012
Thank you for your review. We were so sorry to read of the unacceptable behaviour of the Receptionist who served you. We will be looking into this matter and apologise profusely for the lack of customer care and service you encountered.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
#15 of 28 in Crawley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley

Been to Europa Gatwick Hotel? Share your experiences!