“Overnight stop before flight from Gatwick”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Broadstairs
“Overnight stop before flight from Gatwick”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We just wanted to be close to Gatwick for the night before flying out on holiday to save an early/stressful drive. This hotel was great for that. Excellent room, great price! The car park was a bit of a mess, muddy and full of potholes. It wasn't clear to me if we would have to pay extra for the car parking, but we didn't so that was good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. We hope you will visit us again next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The staff were rude, unhelpful, officious and didn't even bother to look up when we approached the desk. They barely even bothered to speak and just point to the many laminated clip art adorned notices (several of which advised the use of antibacterial hand gel, not a good omen). When we tried to hand back the key the receptionist refused to take it and just pointed to the box which was right next to her.

The 'family' room was bunk beds and two singles (different heights). It had obviously never been hoovered. The radiator was on full and couldn't be turned off, the window was open so obviously the previous occupants had the same problem, but the noise of the motorway was too loud to keep it open. Towels on the beds were not folded and there was another stack of unfolded towels at the back of the bath (couldn't be bothered to remove them after the last people?). The bath/shower was just dirty and was wet. There were hairs in the plughole and on the tiles. There was a part used bottle of shower gel on the side of the bath and a contact lens in the toilet. There is just no way the room is ever cleaned.

The reception is a jumble of stained and frayed chairs. In the courtyard are some sad looking carp in 8 inches of stagnating water.

This is just the most depressing place I have been. To think, for an extra £20 we could have stayed at the Premier Inn, what luxury that would have been. You get what you pay for. People were parked all over the verge in the car park so I can't even recommend the parking. The transfer to the hotel only runs every hour and is more expensive than a taxi. Whilst we were buying the transfer ticket the bus came and went and even though it was literally seconds after they had taken our money they refused to give a refund, the 'manager' came and helpfully pointed to a laminated sign (clip art picture of a bus) which says that refunds can't be given, so that was that. Breakfast was full so we couldn't get anything to eat and the bar doesn't open til 11 so we and our two toddlers couldn't get anything to drink. Such a pleasant start to our holiday.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

2 Thank Katobean
We were sorry to read you were obviously unhappy with your stay on this occasion. Your review will be discussed at our weekly management meeting in an effort to iron out some of the problems you highlighted for us.
Shillingstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This was the second time I have stayed here. I was flying out of Gatwick the next day and the Europa Hotel is absolutely ideal - a place to stay the night before a flight, and you can leave your car there for the duration of your holiday too. I have tried other hotels that do this, and Europa is my favourite. I arrived in time to have a lovely bar meal and then had a good night's sleep. The next day I caught the bus to the airport (15 minute ride, no problems). A week later I returned from my holiday, caught the bus back to the hotel and picked up my car.

This is much cheaper than playing for Gatwick parking - and you get a night's accommodation as well which is perfect if you don't want an early start before a flight.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your feedback. We were delighted to read you were happy with your accommodation and parking arrangement at the Europa once again. We hope you will book with us next time you travel via Gatwick.
Olton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel before we went over to France. This is a very nice looking hotel both inside and out. The room was nice and clean and reception were friendly. There was a bit of a mix up when we went down for breakfast which we had paid for in advance but when we went down to the restaurant they had no record of this , but this was soon sorted. There was a good choice but food could have been warmer. But we would stay there again good value for money

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We were very pleased to read you were happy with the Europa and our facilities on this occasion. We hope you will return in the near future.
london
Reviewed 15 April 2013

There was parking and the check in staff were really nice and helpful. I am an older woman alone so they gave me a room near to the lobby. I put some things in the room and went out to my car. When I came back the door was open to the room and I found that it could neither be closed nor locked. So ...back to reception. They gave me another ground floor room ( which was nice of them) miles away down many long corridors but I did not want to climb the stairs with lots of luggage.

After getting things in I discovered that the lock plate was unscrewed and , while it locked , it was not secure. I fixed it a Phillips screwdriver I carry in my hand bag, Swiss Army knife, and reported it 3 times during my stay . No one ever came to look at it.

I had to stay here for 5 nights. I read the reviews and came armed with cleaning materials , bleach wipes and so on.
SO glad I did.
Every table or desk or dressing table top was filthy, Covered with sticky pools of mess.
SO I set about cleaning .
the towel rails are white plastic which are white where the towels have been taken on and off and BLACK every where else. I cleaned every surface a few times and tried not to think about it. UGH !!!!!!
The rooms are tidied just fine but have , sort of, NEVER BEEN ACTUALLY CLEANED.
I am sure they would make just as much if they cleaned the place.

It had its own heater so I was warm. It was snowing outside so that was great.

The staff are really nice...they must be hand picked as they must get a complaint every 28 seconds. They handle it all really well!! Full Marks.

The worst blow was the food. The coffee bad, the tea tepid and foul.
OH dear..... What can I say????? I have never actually been in prison but it must be much like that. AN absolute insult.

There was an event at the thing I was attending and the food was much better. SO they can respect their guests but normally just slap them in the face with the low quality of the food. Odd indeed.

I can see it is cheap parking and if you can just put you head down for a night and forget it all it would be OK. But in truth, it is not OK..

Perhaps they just don't know how to do it > a bit like cheap B and B s in Britain in the 1950 s..A long time ago.. another world of cold and dank rooms and bad food .

OH .. the shower was excellent .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for your very informative review. We will be discussing your comments at our management meeting this week and will take the necessary steps to rectify the problems you highlighted.
channel islands
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is our second visit to the Europa. We stayed the night before our holiday and again on our return.

The carvery was nice as well as the breakfast.

The rooms are clean and warm and also have a good hairdryer.

We are both smokers and this hotel allows smoking in some of the rooms which is why we stay there as well as the good price.

Also thanks to Joe on reception who was very helpful.

See you again next year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jonesie34
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We were delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back at the Europa very soon.
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We used this hotel as a cheap place to park the car whilst on holiday and one night stay on our return as coming back late night. We arrived back to find the next bus was 90 mins later and this was at 2 in morning. The leaflet showing times was not clear at all and so had to get a £20 cab to get family back. Upon arrival we were met with 4 police cars and a number of policeman following an incident at hotel. We had booked a room for the five of us but upon getting into the room found only 4 beds. I enquiried at reception and was told there was a camp bed in wardrobe. I complained that at three in the morning I didn't want to make up beds!! Somebody did help but this consisted of a sheet and a very itchy blanket with no duvet on offer. Given the price I didn't expect much but the overall service cleanliness and standard of this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. My advice is pay a little more money as this is a terrible hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We were sorry to learn you were unhappy with your experience at the Europa on this occasion. Should you ever reconsider your decision, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
#15 of 28 in Crawley
Airport Inn Gatwick
Airport Inn Gatwick
#8 of 11 in Horley

Been to Europa Gatwick Hotel? Share your experiences!