“Cheap Stay for Family of 5 prior to Holiday £99 !!”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here the night before our Gatwick flight in a Family room for just £99, you get what you pay for and nothing more but I wouldnt have expected anything more.
When finding your room its like trawling an old convent with tiled floors and open brickwork but the room was clean and complete with double bed, bunk beds and zed bed, all the linen and towels were clean.
We sat in the lounge / bar area with a great roaring fire and television, with worn out sofas and a coffee table with the glass held on by blue tac !
Ordered soup and roll, but shouldnt have bothered as roll could have smashed the coffee table glass and the soup was tasteless.
Next time I would pay a bit more for somewhere with higher standards.
The transfer by bus is very easy though and at a small one off cost £3.50 per child & £7 per adult. The bus was booked for us in the morning, and we stood at stop 8 upon our return for only 10 mins so excellent transfers.
Also another positive you park your car up and keep your keys and just return to your car at your own leisure.
If needed I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shuvriley
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your comments. We hope you will return to the Europa in the future.

There are newer reviews for Europa Gatwick Hotel

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here last night and I write this review from the stain-drenched chair.

We first checked in and we initially thought the place was lovely. The atmosphere in the foyer was quite humble and comfortable. The staff were very friendly.

We journeyed to our room which stunk of stale smoke. The sheets and towels were filthy. The wallpaper was peeling and mold saturated the ceiling.

My sleep was horrible. The room shook tremendously with every step taken from the people in the room above us. I woke up with a rash on my ankle and foot, probably from bug bites. I showered right away but because the towels were legitimately filthy, I had to 'wiggle dry' as my boyfriend says.

I opened the curtain after my shower only to be greeted by the lovely message fingered into the steamy mirror: 'Help me please.'

Also, someone was reluctant to read the Do Not Disturb sign on our door because someone abruptly opened the door while my boyfriend and I were in bed.

The patio door, visible to the parking lot, was broken and the knob wiggled which gave us a great sense of comfort.

My boyfriend and I are not high maintenance and we've stayed in some pretty dingy places but this one takes the cake. We made a joke and laughed about every fault we found. It was like a scavenger hunt.

On the contrary, the lounge was quite nice to have drinks in last night; though, it seems we had to get absolutely plastered to get through our stay.

We are about to head to the Crowne Plaza for the day/night; feeling excitement is an understatement.

1  Thank Bethm87
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for your comments. We will be speaking to Housekeeping to address the cleanliness issues, however our Reception is open 24hr and if this had been brought to our attention we would obvioulsy have changed your room. We hope you will consider the Europa Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Can't believe we didnt check trip advisor before coming here!! Dont do it!! Only reason we stayed was for the pool facilities to entertain the kids before catching our flight. The room was awful, the bed was terrible and absolutely filthy! We moved rooms twice! Pay the extra and go elsewhere!!!!!!

1  Thank rachel1998
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you had to move rooms twice on your visit. I hope you will consider us again when visiting the Gatwick area.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We arrived to a lobby full of travellers. It was like a seen out of my fat gypsy. I thought is was funny at first but this soon turned sour when I seen the mess they had made and they had simply taken control of the hotel with the management hiding and leaving the staff to try an cope. We had to stay in our room for our own safety. Thankfully they left the next day. On to night 2 the night porter opened our room door at 12.30 am and when I confronted him he left I proceeded to the corridor and had to ask him twice what he was doing entering our room, he claimed he was looking for an empty room to move somebody into. When I asked him for ID he showed me a room card round his neck and said he was night porter I said I have a similar card and I am guest he then showed me his britannia tie. Not happy with this I went to reception to confirm who this guy was fortunately enough they confirmed he was the night porter. I was told to return to reception at 7am to see a manager about my concerns. I went to reception at 7am and they said they knew nothing about the incident as they had only started and no hand over was given, they said they would investigate and come back to me. I have not been contacted yet however I still have potentially 3 more nights to endure.
This is the third time we have stayed here and it will probably be the last! It has gone so downhill, I feel that with all britannia hotels they don't seem to upgrade or decorate or on some occasions clean, in the past year I have stayed in Aberdeen, Blackpool Norbrek, Gatwick Europa, Manchester country house and Manchester Stockport. They are all in need of a good clean and modernisation. I suppose you get what you pay for and not many hotels can provide single room for family of five.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dell186534

Thank you for your comments. Your issues are being dealt with at the Hotel as you are still inhouse.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I use trip advisor often to view reviews when travelling and always wondered how bad a hotel would have to be for me to actually post a negative review, as I never have....until now.
I am reasonably well travelled and have back packed in Asia so am not fussy and understand you get what you pay for, but genuinely these were the most unclean hotel rooms I have ever stayed in bar none! DO NOT STAY HERE! I will be posting some photos. We were booked for two nights, one on our departure, one on our return, with parking included. Had our car not been there we would not have returned. Our first rooms' door would not open/shut or lock properly, upon inspection it was because the screws were hanging out of the lock plate. I reported it to reception who came and looked and told me it was fine, even though it still wouldn't work! As it was late and I had my 6 yr old travelling with me I decided not to argue and simply screwed the screws back in myself using a knife and headed downstairs for food without looking any further at the room. I ordered fish fingers and chips for my daughter. These must have been the cheapest fish fingers you can buy, the inside fell out of the crumb because it was simply a hard slice of something that I doubt had any fish content at all. Upon returning to the room I then noticed how untidily the beds had been made and went to tuck one in at the top end when I noticed the layers of dust all around the bed. When I say layers, I mean that this had clearly not been vacuumed for over a year for this much to have accumulated. The bathroom was filthy too, the overflow outlet on the bath had thick black/brown bath scum on it, again evidence it hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. I mentioned all of this to the girl on reception who again took no notice. Not wishing to spoil our holiday, we went to catch our flight and hoped for better on our return, only to find worse. Despite stating we wanted a clean room this time, it was even filthier! I could not use the shower as the smell in the toilet was making me gag. It smelled like a rat cage and I assume was ingrained urine around the toilet. There were lumps of brown toilet residue all around the edges of the bathroom where crap had simply been mopped into the corners, black mould all over the tiles and taps. The layers of dust even worse in this room and to top it off, dirty used bed linen! The bottom and top sheets had been changed but the valance skirt was covered in stains, water mark stains and also what appeared to be food or drink. These were not 'old' stains either as when touched they were hard as the substance was still on the fabric. Breakfast was also a disaster. I had paid extra for a full English breakfast only to find there were no eggs or bacon, apparently due to them having no gas in the kitchen. I asked for my money back for he breakfast to which I was told a flat 'no' as they deemed mushrooms and sausages to be enough of a 'full English' . We needed to leave at a set time so I asked the girl (same one as on our initial stay) on reception for the managers name so that I could email my complaint once home, to which she refused! She would not give me her manager's name and said we had to wait to speak to her instead even though I had explained we needed to leave at a set time. When the manager came out and heard our complaint she tried to say that it was a one off, 'oh, really?, which room was it, I will speak to housekeeping' until I told her it was our second stay and that the previous room was just as filthy. When I mentioned the door lock and lack of gas, she actually stated 'well, yes, this hotel doesn't have any maintenance'!!! Shocking! On a seperate note, you won't get much sleep here either as the walls are paper thin and we were woken up both nights in the wee hours by neighbours bashing around. No sleep, poor food, disinterested staff, shoddy decor aside, people please vote with your feet, this sever lack of hygiene is the main concern and should not be acceptable in any UK hotel and if inspected would be shut down......now there's an idea!

Room Tip: There isn't one, all rooms are filthy, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Meandmy_shadow783

Thank you for your comments. Due to bad weather during the night in the Maidenbower area there was a power failure which caused disruption to our hotel. The Chef at the time cooked as much as he could before the gas supply was able to be turned on safely. Any problems with rooms can be dealt with as we have 24hr Reception.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

We have been coming here every year for Christmas for the last three years. The first year was good. A great atmosphere and lovely staff and guests. Over the last two years it has gone down hill. This year there are travellers here who are ransacking the hotel leaving a lot of loyal guests are being forced to stay in their rooms. The staff and management cannot cope with the mess and aggressive behaviour of these traveller guests. It has ruined people's Christmas. A lot of the guests are elderly and come ever year. We like to see people we know and meet up with every year. We like the hotel as it is good value but sadly since the hotel have stopped coaches block booking, it has left it open for these awful travellers. The management didn't do anything about them so sadly a lot of us won't be coming back next year. Get your act together Europa. You are losing a lot of loyal customers.

1  Thank unhappy1212
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We had no idea that Travellers were booked into the Hotel until they arrived. The staff did their utmost to ensure all our other guests were looked after whilst here. We can only apologise for the disapointment you feel especially as you have been here many times and had no cause for concern.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stopped here in Dec 13 very very disapionted it is like a Victorian museum old dirty out of date rooms as they had to move us to a second room because the first one was freezing and it only had a 3/4 bed not a double that had been booked

We tried the carvery £12.50 per head it was terrible cold veg that must have been there from the day before there was no cream for the dried up sweets

The wine list was a choice of Chardonnay or Chardonnay or Chardonnay six difrent ones but nothing else we had to give them there house wine back as it tasted disgusting (vinaigrette)

The hotel toilets and corridors smell dirty and old

We will not be coming back think we will stick to the premier inn

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 244eddied

We were sorry to hear of your stay. We hope you will consider using another Britannia Hotel in the future.