“Cold”

Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Essex
“Cold”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed here on the 5th January 2014 before our flight. We were given room on ground floor. The room was very tired and in need of redecorating. But it had every thing you needed so we were quite happy until the cold set in. It was freezing in the bar and our room. I asked the reception if there was something wrong with the heating in our room and was told that the do not put heating on until 5pm every day. As it was only 3.30pm we had to wait until near on 6.30 before we. Could feel comfort lay warm. Then the heating was on nearly most of the night. The bed had dip in the middle so we rolled into the middle which was quite uncomfortable. Glad to leave. Unfortunately we are returning after our flight back to England for another night stay before our onward journey home. We land at approx. 8pm so we can expect to be warm. I wonder if the breakfast is better than the evening meal which we cancelled after looking at the car very the night we stayed. We ended up with a refund and went for an Indian. Fingers crossed it might be better if not Indian here we come.

Room Tip: Get one after 5pm if travelling during the winter
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your comments. Our heating system is on a timer. We do have heaters and blankets at Reception.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Czech first
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Went to a business seminar which ended slightly early so I decided to use their facilities as I had taken the day off. Went to the healt spa suite which was very nice although the pool is a little short but adequate to swim in. Nice to have a pool than not. Have not spent a night here but it is very close to Gatwick and is also close to a Junction of the A23/M23 which wold make it a good bet. We had a buffet lunch provided by the hotel which was perfectly nice for finger food. Nice loos.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The price for this hotel was brilliant! We stayed here for one night and I honestly couldn't fault it for the price we paid. Reception and restaurant were nice, staff were helpful and our room was clean, comfy and spacious.

Ok, the decor was a little tired and the bathroom could've done with a makeover, however, we got upgraded from the outside building to the main hotel free of charge and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Close to Gatwick and only 30 mins to Brighton.
The room was basic and could do with a renovation.
A comfortable bed in a nice quiet room. Superb water pressure for a good shower or bath.
I would consider staying there again

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed for one night for early flight at Gatwick - will. not be staying again. Staff genuinely unhelpful and unfriendly, just there to take your money it seems. Whole place is jaded and tatty. My room had a bath but there was no plug and the shower could only be scalding hot or freezing cold so no shower or bath for me. Walls are thin so noise from neighbouring rooms. No heating on i. Room when i arrived on a very cold night so room was freezing for first 2 hours. No wifi working. Car park is like a bomb site, mud, deep pools of water, craters, terrible. Only thing in its favour is the low price but that still will not get me back there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments. The heating system is on a timer however we do have heaters and blankets at Reception.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Booked into a twin room and got a family room with bath so very pleased. A nice sized room with comfy beds, extra pillows and blankets. Very clean bed linen, (white). Very warm room which was lovely, we could also adjust the radiator. The bathroom was very clean indeed. Room serviced each day, clean towels, tea coffee etc. Only fault being the room was a bit dimly lit, even with all lights and the bedside lamps on. We were on the ground floor, and it was nice and quiet.
Lounge area busy on an evening, no problem there though.
Food was excellent, great choice too. Nicely set up dining room upstairs, nice and clean again.
Wasn't aware of hotel gym and pool prior to trip, so cannot rate it.
There isn't anywhere to 'walk' to near this hotel, not near any shops. Polite helpful staff. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Sorry couldn't change the rating for the childrens activities. My son is a teenager so couldn...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Ledbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The Europa Hotel, Gatwick. I’m reluctant to run it down – it’s making a pretty good job of it alone.
Part of the Brittania Hotels chain, it thrives on one-nighters flying to and from Gatwick Airport. Were it not for this assured trade and its cheap prices, it might have fallen by the wayside some time ago – once the hotel inspector got stuck in, that is.
At £79 for a room, including 15 days parking, it stood out attractively in the online comparison sites. But the Europa’s shortfalls struck home within ten minutes of arriving. Despite my engaging manner, the polite but mechanical receptionist directed us to Room 1139 where we gratefully dropped off cases and coats. My well-travelled joints were crying out for respite as I lowered myself to the edge of the bed. But relief it wasn’t, as the mattress instantly compressed to a few centimetres, its springs bulging up through the flimsy material and ejecting me bottom-first to the floor. A more thorough test confirmed we’d bought into a bouncy castle. With me a restless sleeper and my friend having a bad cough, we were guaranteed a night of trampoline proportions.
Further inspection of 1139 showed that the bathroom, although fully functioning, had long lost its sparkle – the sanitary and chrome fittings retained no semblance of shine, and the whistling extractor fan hung loose from its circular cut-out on the wall.
In the poorly lit bedroom the ancient, bulky TV offered the usual channels, but the remote control, whose missing back cover meant the batteries kept dropping out, would not connect to the Programme Guide or any function except volume control and channel switching.
But it was only one night, and we were off to Gran Canaria. We could brave it! A drink at the hotel bar would sort it all out. I diverted briefly to Reception to check if there might be another room available with something more closely resembling a mattress.
‘Hello, could you please tell me if you have rooms with firmer mattresses?’ I asked. ‘Only the one in 1139 is terribly soft and you can feel the springs,’ I continued, in the absence of a reply. ‘Or are they all the same?’ I said, resigning myself to a one-way conversation.
‘Oh no, they’re all the same!’ said the receptionist, sounding surprised.
Nothing for it but to head past the two non-functioning public computers, across the badly marked carpet, for a well-earned pint. Plonking myself on the comfy but flaking, stripped-leather-effect easy chair I tucked into my San Miguel, assuming it would clear as the froth subsided. It never did – and the taste matched the colour.
‘What do you want me to do?’ asked the young barperson, clearly as ill-equipped as the receptionist to deal with non-routine matters. Eventually a supervisor appeared and replaced the drink. We resisted the hotel food, much of which seemed already to have found its way onto the well-thumbed bar snack menu.
Next morning, I browsed he hotel brochure which proudly boasted conferences, banquets and weddings. Large display screens in the foyer told of the joy of choosing the Europa for your wedding reception, something I felt would surely only appeal to the undiscerning or a mischievous groom-to-be on TV’s Don’t Tell the Bride.
The Europa reminded me of guest houses still occasionally found in the side streets of Victorian seaside towns that have seen better times. Implied criticism in such places is invariably met with the suggestion that ‘nobody has ever complained about it before’.
The hotel’s crowning glory was a paper notice roughly Sellotaped to the reception counter:
Payment by Debit Card – 50p
This alone told me all was not well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul C
Thank you for your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
#7 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Crawley Hotel
Travelodge Crawley Hotel
#15 of 28 in Crawley

Been to Europa Gatwick Hotel? Share your experiences!