“Very basic, awful breakfast!”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Rooms had beds with very basic set up. Bathrooms were in dire need of refurbishing. Opened curtains to bird poo infested railings and windows obviously not been cleaned for an awfully long time, that is unless they have a pigeon problem which needs addressing. This may be on the cheaper end but does not excuse a minimum standard of upkeep. Breakfast was diabolical, presentation very poor, hot drinks not on tap unless you remind one of the waiters to fill up! No real choice on breakfast, a really badly cooked bacon, eggs, tinned plum tomatoes, tinned mushrooms swimming in liquid?.. Black pudding that looked unappetising, scrambled eggs swimming again in their juices! Yuck! Chairs that obviously needed maintenance, cutlery that was obviously for dinner and not breakfast. No bowls other than cereal bowls for fruit, really? Come on! Presentation is a real killer, lack of service from your waiters just there to clear up and nothing more, a good job the French, Spanish, Italians, Portuguese, Canadians, just a few of the locations we have travelled know how to present their restaurants to cater for the breakfast arena, perhaps your company could learn a thing or two! It's not hard. We also had a problem with the receptionist, shame no-one knows how to do their jobs well! We left a jacket behind, rang up the hotel, got told to ring in the morning as Housekeeping were not in, I suggested that the receptionist could drop an internal email to Housekeeping to get told it wasn't her job to! Really, Britannia hotels get your house in order, improve your overall outlook! We paid £100+ for an overnight stay, car park is a pay for facility, car park is in dire need of resurfacing and defined spacing for car parking. Headoffice have been emailed with all relevant issues and suggestions! Lets see if they do anything to improve their outlook! Not worth staying here for the short change!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,895)

Reviewed 10 February 2014

returned from this hotel on thursday after a 4 day trip with national hollidays. check in was ok bit slow due to 4 coachs arriving around same time but nothing major. small lift but we used steps .rooms ok bit of nosie from the m23 outside. .meals was ok as we was put on different meal times so was not all going in at same time but if on last sitting 8pm stuff was running out a bit. breckfast was ok but if u like eggs there was a short of them at times .trips out to windsor' eton' london and on tuesday eve a trip to wet and windy brighton was all good .this hotel is a good base for gatwick airport too with a free bus running every 30 min to the airport.if u get mike or chris on the natinal holidays u will have a brill 4 day trip both brill drivers and couriers .nice hotel will return .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Having used this hotel on many occasions I have found the price reflects the rooms which are very dated but functional shower/bath areas can be mouldy but still usable I have always found clean bedding although carpets are stained in most rooms
Tea and coffee making facility but could provide more
Staff have always been helpful
Evening carvery is always gammon more choice would be good and the biggest criticism is PLEASE get a coffee machine for breakfast flasks of stewed coffee are not acceptable in a hotel of this size more suited to a seaside B+B not a hotel chain really lets what is otherwise a superb breakfast buffet down
And it would also be helpful to have a parking attendant at busy times
Please make you own mind up and don't take notice of so many neg reviews if you are a smoker they even offer smoking rooms not often found these days so enjoy while you can

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I feel it necessary to write this review, as some of the previous reviews seem so unfair and unless they were severely overcharged to stay here, I can't understand many of the complaints.
Firstly I must point out that we purchased a Groupon deal. For 3 of us to stay in a family room, with a buffet dinner and a bottle of wine, plus a buffet breakfast and 2 weeks parking, we paid £114. Parking alone would cost almost this in some places.
After booking this deal, I read the hotel reviews and was terrified ti be honest! I was absolutely dreading the stay and imagined that I'd probably become ill even before reaching Egypt! However, with the lowest expectations we arrived and were checked in efficiently. We weren't advised by the moody reception staff that any elevator even existed, but found that it was broken anyway! We were pleasantly surprised by our huge room, which had all necessary facilities for a night's stay. The bathroom was a bit shabby and yes the bath mat needed replacing but after what I was expecting, that seemed minor!
The dinner experience was fantastic. There was turkey and gammon joints cut to order, carbonara, vegetable curry, pork stroganoff, plus various salads, fresh breads and rolls and puddings. The choice was extensive and it was all really good quality and tasty! The breakfast was a bit disorganised, but we did arrive first thing as we had an early flight. The staff weren't friendly and looked like they should have stayed in bed!
The beds were comfy and all was okay. I would not hesitate to stay here again if I got a good deal. We usually only stay in 4 or 5* hotels and are pretty well travelled, but this is by no means the worst place we've been. Seriously, reading all the negative reviews beforehand nearly made me I'll. I'm glad we stayed, plus our car was kept safe while we were away which is another important point!

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 8 February 2014

There's not much I can say about this place that hasn't been said in previous reviews, however we didn't know anything about it before travelling as it was done through a hotel+parking online site. My wife and I arrived here about 10pm after a 4 hour drive on the 15th January for a one night stay before an early flight the next day. The hotel is easy to find as soon as you come off junction 10A on the M23 southbound. That's where the good news stops though. The first thing that hits you is the parking, it's just a case of dump the car wherever you can, no use of marked bays, and a lot of cars were just blocked in by others presumably dumped later on which could prove a real risk to making your flight first thing in the morning. Of course this is the guest's rather than the hotel's fault but a well organised and set out car park would not have this issue.

We walked from the car to the reception, and immediately noticed how grimy the front plate glass windows were - odd for a part of the hotel which makes a guest's first impression. At the checkin desk I had to literally wave and call to attract the attention of the reception guy as he was far too busy in a small office listening to his iPod to attend to any guests and was positively irritated to have been disturbed. It was at this point I noticed just how tired and shabby the lobby looked, but just thought I needed somewhere to sleep for a few hours, and we'd paid for an executive room with spa bath so how bad could it be?

That question was answered in seconds when the still irritated reception guy retrieved our booking, managing to avoid eye contact throughout, and gave me directions to "offsite parking". I questioned this as we'd paid for hotel and parking but he simply grunted that it was "all in our terms and conditions" and printed me off a set of directions to find this place, first thing in the morning. On reflection this turned out to be a godsend as the parking outside was a nightmare. I was so tired from the journey that I took the key and decided to get to the room instead of arguing the toss so late at night, however there were no porters so we took our own luggage down a maze of musty smelly corridors and stairwells until we eventually found the room. Actually finding the room did take a good 10 minutes, but you have to chuckle at the unhelpful notice on the emergency exit on one of the stairs at ground level (see photo) which we saw on the way to trying to find our room.

Having finally located our room (3156) on opening the door the heat hit you, the radiators were on full blast but it was unpleasantly hot rather than just warm comfortable and welcoming, and you could tell by the smell that the place hadn't been properly aired in weeks, maybe longer. I opened the windows an inch (they don't open any more than that) to find traffic on the M23 thundering past outside, and realised that's why no one ever opens the windows. The room itself was just dire, paper peeling off the walls in places, fixtures and fittings were loose and broken, the 2 pillows on the bed were perhaps an inch thick at best and when I took down a spare pillow from the battered cupboard it still had a previous guest's make up on it! The furniture was battered from years of use, and lack of deep cleaning or indeed replacement with a very old TV and ultra-minimalist tea making facilities (don't bother fancying a second cup). The bathroom was equally shocking, and the luxury spa bath was poor (my wife used the word "abysmal") with worn out fittings, a tinge of pink around the taps and other fixtures (salmonella?), filthy tiles and a broken looking dirty phone on the wall above the loo, as if anyone would want to touch it after someone else has used it on the loo. What made me surprised was the font size on the fire instructions (see photos) - how anyone could be expected to read this is beyond me, and the filthy state of the fittings typified by the "insert card key for power" box on the wall underneath (again see photos).

Despite turning the radiators off, opening the windows and putting the bathroom fan on (as the air conditioning didn’t seem to work by turning the thermostat down) and going for a drink in the bar for half an hour, when we returned to the room it wasn't much cooler, the room was still a sweltering 30 degrees. I drew the curtains, only to find the curtains didn't fit the window, and that someone had patched both sides with about 18 inches of material from a differently coloured pair (see photo). We got no sleep that night to speak of, there was just a thin cotton sheet across a bare stained mattress, and no quilt or spare blankets, leading to discomfort all night for both of us.

You might well ask why we didn't complain at the time, but I could see that the hotel was already packed to capacity (indicated by the car park overflowing out onto the main road verges), and judging by the state of the various corridors and public areas it was pretty unlikely that any of the other rooms would have been any better, not to mention the fact that we were tired enough from our journey, we just wanted to get going on our holiday in the morning. From the surly attitude of the reception guy I really wasn't in the mood to do anything other than get my head down for a few hours, although when we got a drink at the bar I would say the (Asian?) girl serving was very courteous and polite, so not everyone missed the customer care course.

In the morning we just got up, had a very quick shower and left as I steadfastly refused to even contemplate eating there having seen how dirty the whole place was, even the air con vents were brown with grime and dust (like you used to see when people were allowed to smoke indoors and it had never been cleaned) and this was in the bar, but the same level of general dirtiness prevailed in all the areas of the hotel we saw.

Was this the worst hotel either of us have ever been to? Oh yes, by a long long way. I've stayed in hotels across the world and never seen one like this, it was beyond "not nice", it's to be avoided at all costs, even a 1 or 2 star place is kept clean, and this hadn't had a deep clean in many many years. I’ve added some photos just so you can see for yourselves, this is not acceptable for a hotel and it would seem by other reviews and their photos that I’m not the only one who thinks this. The Europa brand is normally pretty good, but this place is a disgrace, the reception service was awful, it clearly needs a complete refit and we would have been more comfortable (and a lot more hygienic) sleeping in the car.

Recommendation: spend a few pounds more and stay somewhere else, there's plenty of choice near the airport, as this place is run down and clearly only makes it's money from one night transient trade so doesn't try to come across as welcoming or even clean.

And please - if you’re the Guest Relations Manager and want to reply with something, then “Thank you for your comments” will not do. Please explain to us and the visitors of this site how you manage to keep this place going given the state of it, and what your improvement plans are in the future to mitigate the horrific reviews I have seen. You have a perfect location and a great opportunity to be one of the best Gatwick hotels, all you need to do is get Britannia and Europa to refit and deep clean it, and keep it that way - that’s all we’re asking if you ever want any of these people as future customers. Ask yourself this question: would YOU stay there on the basis that nearly half your reviewers said it was “poor” or “terrible” and the evidence of those reviews and photos?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. We do have a porter on shift until 11pm to help guests with their luggage. If guests are unhappy with their room we do have a Duty Manager on all shifts. Some of our car parking bays are lined but unfortunately late at night you cannot see and the majority of the bays are already taken up. Our car parking is all around the hotel even in our leisure area.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Only plus side of this hotel is convincinience.
The receptionist was polite and friendly but the same can not be said for the bar staff, more grunts and funny looks. If you order food from the bar you sit on a arm chair and a small low table so you end up eating with the plate in your lap. Ordered a bacon hamburger and the amount of fat on the bacon was unreal

The window in the room has a massive gap so there is a terrible draft and also the toilet does not flush. Ruined the start to our honeymoon

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben B
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your comments.
We do have Duty Manager on each shift.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Hotel convenient to Gatwick, good parking on site; friendly staff, reasonable cheap buffet meal night before flight.

Drab decor, needs updating, bed hard & small. Swimming pool, no rail on steps, even for top 2-3, therfore a hazard to those with mobility problems. Similiarly no handle in any of the very small showers or anywhere to hang a towel

Would not stay there again.

R M R Berkhamsted