“However good the deal - DONT STAY THERE”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Milton Keynes
“However good the deal - DONT STAY THERE”
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Having stayed at this hotel many years ago, it breaks my heart to see this hotel become one of the worst i have ever stayed in. The rooms were dirty - in fact the whole hotel was, The rooms had no hot water on the night we stayed there and in fact when we returned 14 days later everyone at check in was complaining about the same thing.

Our car was vandalised in their car park and the Duty Manager couldnt care less. We had to wait 6 hours for the RAC to recover our car and at no time did anyone from the hotel bother to offer us a drink or support.

However good the deal - dont stay there - it is not a good start to your holiday

• Disliked — Everything
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Czech first
South Dakota
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I booked this hotel from the Gatwick Airport web-site as we needed a place to spend two nights prior to our return to the US. We had been camping for five days and that helped our opinion of the place. There was a shower with hot water and a bed off the floor. If we had come directly to this place upon arrival in the UK we would have been very disappointed, mold in the shower and hard beds with old linens. Dark and dingy but the location provided us quick access to the airport with a very nice bus dirver and that is what we needed most. Next time I will search reviews before booking online!

• Liked — airport shuttle
  • Disliked — too many to list
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Oshawa, Ontario
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We just spent one night (Aug 29th) at this hotel - thank goodness. Our travel agent had it listed as a 3 star accommodation. It's not even a 2 star.

The first room (1132) the leg of our son's bed was broken, the staff provided the room next door (1134)...the double bed there had a plywood box at the head of the bed for a box spring and a single bed box spring (well beyond supporting anything) at the foot of the bed. Needless to say meant for an incredibly uncomfortable bed - hard from the shoulders to waist, sagged from the waist to the foot.

The bed spread was so worn it was thread bare and the wall paper in the halls was peeling in very large sections.

The tiles around the bathroom tub had mildew in the grout lines and although the rest of the tub was clean most of the fixtures were tarnished and worn.

The Mediterranean Buffet wasn't open until 6:30 p.m. we arrived at 6:35 p.m. the food was very overcooked the roast beef, yorkshire pudding and oven roast potatoes were so tough you couldn't cut them even after soaking in gravy. There were no beverages offered (neither alcoholic nor non- there was a water station with just cups) but there was no place to even order a beverage.

The staff were very nice, and the "free coach" to the airport was good. But that is the only positive.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Beds
Magherafelt
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Ive never written a review on anything before but I coulnt wait to badmouth this disgusting hotel.

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night with my wife to get a connecting flight to Antigua the next day.

The main problems were.
1. having to haul our cases up a flight of stairs to our room (no lift to this part of the hotel)
2. A revolting set menu buffet on offer for dinner, hard potatoes and splodgy self service deserts yummy! £15 a head pay before you eat, they know you wouldnt want to pay for it after.
3. (the worst complaint) the beds really make you feel disgusting when your under the covers, something about them feels unwashed and grimy, bathroom decor was probably all the rage in the 80's when it was fitted.

If your on a tight budget and cant get another hotel in gatwick consider camping, Ive had better nights sleep on the floor.

Thanks europa, Il never give you any money again ... ever!!!

• Liked — courtesy coach from terminal
  • Disliked — the rotten bed
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I never normally write reviews about hotels but feel so incensed, even after 7 months that I now feel compelled to advise others not to stay in this hotel! Upon arrival at the hotel, which had been booked through my company for a week, I was placed in a first floor bedroom. Upon checking the room I found clumps of hair in the bath plug, mildew in the grouting of the shower, dust everywhere and general dirt and grime. Thinking that this may be a glitch I immediately changed rooms via reception to one on the ground floor thinking that this may just be a blip. How wrong I was!

I was allocated a ground floor room which I accessed via a hallway that had wall lights missing and a large slab on the paved foyer sealed up with masking tape. Upon entering the room I was filled with hope as there were french doors to the outside so immediately opened them to get rid of the musty smell. Big mistake! Upon opening them I was greeted with a pair of used underwear, a large black bag of rubbish and some old empty milk and juice containers right outside my window. Before complaining to reception I checked the rest of the room and found pubic hairs in the bath and sink plug hole, a completely stained mattress, hairs in my sheets, more mould in the broken grouting around the bathroom and again general filth.

Off I went again to reception for the second time where the duty manager advised me that the night porter would come and remove the rubbish and the room would be properly cleaned. For the two days that I was subjected to stay there, until my company eventually moved me, no porter or cleaner and everything remained the same. Told the manager again to no avail!

The restaurant was no better so I ended up walking 20 minutes to the nearest supermarket to find some solace in eating reasonable food. There was no choice of food which was constantly under a heater and consisted of coleslaw, tinned and frozen vegetables and roast potatoes, dried up meat and packet juices. It was horrendous! Now I am feeling a bit like a serial complainer and duly went to reception yet again to be advised that the hot food is put out twice an evening (over a 4 hour meal time) so should be hot! I could not believe what I was hearing. So having left my food I decided the next evening not to eat there but the bar in the hotel appeared to serve fairly decent food from what I saw so asked reception if, as a guest, I could eat there and was told that the manager had to agree as it was not normal practice. He agreed and reiterated the above and I ate a pie in the bar. It was microwaved and burnt! Fortunately my company moved me the next day.

I would like to reiterate that I never normally write reviews about hotels but feel compelled to urge you not to stay here. If you do you have been warned!

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
east yorkshire
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Me and my mum stayed at this hotel this month and i pesonaly had a lovely time!!!! Food excellent bedroom ok could have been better. A long way from london. very close to gatwick airport. we stayed in this hotel 5 days and had no major complaints. if we had taken notice of some moaning people on this website we would have missed out on a lovely and once in a lifetime oppertunity!!!! Go it was lush!!!! the pool week pass £5 bargin!!!!! go go please take my advise!!!! bye

• Liked — food and pool!!!
  • Disliked — cannot think of anything except it isnt near anything outdoor wise if you wanted a walk.
1 Thank londongirl08
Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed 22 August 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night before flying home to Scotland. I booked this hotel as it was advertized as an airport hotel! We arrived and after an unwelcoming registration we asked where the lift was to get our 2 very heavy suitcases up to our room (there was no help in this department), The receptionist pointed and grunted at the stairs! It was just as well we are reasonably strong and fit.....

The room was horrible. The furniture was dark and ugly, the walls were stained and the room had a nasty musty odor. The mattress was saggy, lumpy and had bits of metal sticking out the edges. The blankets were ancient and threadbare. As it was after midnight when we checked in, we decided to put up with it and make our escape as soon as possible. I never slept a wink. It was raining heavily and the gutter outside our window had split so we had Niagra Falls roaring for most of the night.

The breakfast was decent but definately not worth the £12 we paid.

All in all, I would NEVER recommend this hotel, there are better ones actually at the airport (Europa is 15 mins drive away).

The worst hotel I have ever stayed at!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tabs666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
#7 of 11 in Horley
Travelodge Crawley Hotel
Travelodge Crawley Hotel
#15 of 28 in Crawley

Been to Europa Gatwick Hotel? Share your experiences!