“Lot of bad reviews unjustified!”

Europa Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
“Lot of bad reviews unjustified!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I have to be sincere. came here terrified after I read the reviews.

all the fuss extremely unjustified. quick check in, basic rooms but clean and tidy. good breakfast and helpful staff.

stayed in room 1150 for business traveling but very well satisfied for the money we paid.

if you want a five star service book a five star hotel and pay for it!

• Stayed June 2014
EuropaGatwick, Guest Relations Manager at Europa Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your comments, we hope you will return when you are next in the Gatwick area

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Czech first
Cheltenham
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We paid for parking and a room £89 all inc it said online yet I had to pay for two bus tickets at £7 per person upon check in if we wanted to get to the airport the next morning. Not that £14 is much of a bother but there were nicer hotels plus parking for cheaper so I would have booked them had I known. Rooms disgusting, staff snotty and unhelpful and the return bus service runs ONCE AN HOUR!! So after my 10 hour flight I wasn't too impressed with a 50 minute wait in the freezing English weather. Won't be doing this again.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Bennett10
Thank you for your comments. The shuttle bus runs every hour after midnight until 5am where it resumes normal every 45 mins
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here with a friend enroute to Cuba. A nice clean room, 2 course dinner and 15 nights on site parking. The transfers were very efficient, and all the staff were excellent. All for £95 for 2 of us. It doesn't get better than that.
Also very easy to get to, just off the Motorway.

I booked it because it was cheap, and was amazed at the high standard of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fiona C
Thank you for your comments. We hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the Gatwick area.
Cambridge
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My Family and I checked in for three nights at The Europia Hotel. The Hotel has a big car park.The reception foyer and bar looks reasonable with plenty of sofa seating around. My family and I head towards are room where we begin to find out what really lies behind the scenes of this hotel. The first thing you notice is that the lift has a dirty stained carpet on the floor. We proceed to our room and on first impressions the room is dated but doesn't look to bad, but then you start to notice things like the cheap unbranded coffee that tastes terrible. We had to push two single beds together for the kids only to find thick layers of dust behind it next to the skirting, this was the same with the rest of the furniture. My wife and I slept on the double bed that was sagging which felt like it had already had copious amounts of use (hint hint). As the nights went by we noticed we was getting bitten while sleeping in the bed which lead me to believe that there was a good chance that our bed had bed bugs, because never have my wife and I been bitten like this before and at the same time. We decided to investigate further, so we pulled back the bottom sheet where the sagging was clearly apparent and to our horror we found stains big and small in a number of areas. The mattress looked well over ten years old.

We complained to the manager who was on duty about the mattress. I asked him when do you replace a mattress and when would you fumigate for bed buds.
His answer was that we don't do anything until one of the house maids tells us or until we have a complaint. All the manager could offer us was a sorry. I'm sorry for booking my family into a dirty hotel.

I find that the managers answers to my complaint absolutely shocking and totally unacceptable.

At breakfast the coffee was like drinking treacle. We noticed that the cereals were running out and the bowls were warm. Plates where too small. I want to see what I am eating instead of having it sitting on top of each other. The toast had to go through the machine twice just to get it toasted but then that burnt it. My wife had to ask where the fried eggs where so she had to wait. A man standing next to her was already complaining that he had been waiting for food to come out for fifteen minutes. The staff didn't seen very accommodating and didn't look very happy. Possible signs of being under staffed.

We ordered room service from the room service menu only to find that there was an extra hidden charge of £3.00 which wasn't mentioned in the menu.

My wife and I have stayed at many other hotels and I've got to say that this hotel is the worst one yet with a lot of hygiene issues amongst other smaller issues.

This hotel needs needs fast improvement both with the quality of the rooms and attitude towards paying customers.

Three nights stay for £235 as you can amagine I'm not very happy.

S Robinson

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Kckbxr259
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Had booked this hotel as a one night stay over before flying out of Gatwick. Having read the mixed reviews I was unsure on what to expect. Arrived at the hotel and checked in, seemed fine until we got to our room. Mouldy walls and carpet (pictures to show), live sockets hanging of the wall, pubic hairs around the toilet seat and a bathroom that had obviously not been cleaned. Working in a hotel myself I do hate complainers but this was not acceptable.

We had also been offered to book a three course meal in the restaurant as we checked in, we thought we would take this up as it seemed easy and we could not have been more disappointed. Cupper soup or Cottage pie I would not even feed to a dog. I bought a bottle of wine, was handed two dirty glasses and a bottle with cork in. Am I supposed to carry a bottle opener with me to open myself?!

Complained to Reception after dinner and was told "It's food isn't it". Not a reply I would expect from a Manager. Was offered another room which was just as bad so just cut our losses and left.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily P
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The reception are has always been staffed by organised and pleasant people. The rooms are of a good size and reasonably clean though they have an odd smell. The furniture is dark and a bit battered bet I guess that is inevitable given the number of people who drag their cases through them. The breakfast was good value for money.

Room Tip: Just be specific about what you value when you book.