“Nice Hotel....”

Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Got the room on a very good rate through late room, £53 per night (s/b £150 per night).
Stayed 3 nights with work, we were travelling around the area and had this as our base.

Room was clean if a little dated, shower was very good powerful and nice and hot. Didn't eat in the hotel went into Crawley, lots of good places to eat there. Prezzo was especially nice. One night we ordered Pizza delivery from Papa Johns, delivered to hotel and picked up in lobby, staff are obv. used to this phoned up to the room.

Staff were friendly and efficient. Worth a pre holiday stopover if you get a good price, take the strain out of getting up at the crack of dawn...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lynne2012
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to provide us with valuable feedback on your recent stay.

I & my team delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay and we succeeded in creating positive impression to you.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is our 2nd stay at this hotel, we have stayed at various different hotels near Gatwick and this is by far the best value for money. We booked in conjunction with Maple Manor meet and greet parking. The Executive room was spacious and quiet and provided a perfect base ahead of our flight from North terminal the following morning.

Our only issue was the cost of drinks and food however the prices were in line with similar city centre hotels - we didn't try breakfast as this did stand out as very expensive even in comparison to restaurants in the airport!

Overall a good hotel to start our holiday from, great customer service and efficient handling of the parking arrangements

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becs13

Reviewed 21 June 2012

used this hotel as apart of the APH airport carparking package and for location its only 10 minutes away from the car park then on to the airport itself.
parking within hotel is pleantyful but make sure you ask at reception about not being charged in the morning, we did and were told it was sorted but when we pulled up at gate they wanted £5.00 and with a car behind me wanting to get out they let me through when i refused to pay after i explaine dthe conceriege had told me everything was paid up on ticket.
the room was spacious for a family of four but the beds are very soft and roll in the middle so was a bit uncomfortable.
We did not eat at the hotel so i can not rate the food but there is a harvester restuarant 5 minutes down the road.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Geordie75_10
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

I & my team delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay and Apologies for car parking situation. With regards to APH booking guest gets a complimentary car parking and we validate the car parking ticket, which allows you to exit from car park, which wasn't the situation, reason the confusion took place.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Having stayed at a few hotels around Gatwick we didn't have very high expectations, I have to say we were pleasently surprised. We were a party of 11 and arrived at the hotel at around 2, check in was swift and simple with the hotel arranging for us all to be on the same floor which made thing easier for us. We used the hotel bar for a few pre dinner drinks and found it to be very reasonably priced and the bar staff chatty and friendly, we had pre booked the restaurant for our evening meal and found that to be of good value also, with half of our party having to hot buffet and the rest ordering from the main menu. Rooms were a decent size and spotlessly clean, comfy beds and nie powerful shower, Check out was easy and the transfer form the hotel to the airport very efficent, In summary you couldn't want or need anything else from a overnight airport hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor, however speaking to other guests of the hotel there did not seem to be a b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank beckylouwest
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

IPlease visit our website for current value offers on Park & fly and social banqueting events.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Good comfortable hotel situated 15-20 minutes (by shuttle bus) from Gatwick Airport.

Stayed in Executive Double room, which was spacious and had an additional single and pull out bed if needed.

Bed was comfortable and room generally well appointed. Quiet room on 7th floor.

Down side was having a shower in the bath and that the room was a bit dated. Clean throughout.

Don't confuse this hotel with the one in centre of Crawley - this one is better/ more comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank W5WPH

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I've stayed here twice now, and I have to say I'm not impressed.

Location wise, it's fairly close to Gatwick, but if you take the airport shuttle bus, this hotel is last on the route for dropping off, so 2 miles "as the crow flies", turns into a convoluted journey of several miles, taking just under an hour. On the positive side, you'll be first on the bus when returning to the airport!

If you're arriving from Gatwick Airport, I'd recommend pre-booking a taxi, to collect you from the airport and go directly to the Ramada Plaza (typical cost around £8 each way). Phone around the local taxi companies found on Yell.com.

If you're driving here, the car park is access controlled. I'm not entirely certain, but I think guests have to pay £5 per night for parking - but check with the hotel before booking.

The hotel itself appears to be slightly dated from the outside, interior decor however is more modern. In fact, from the outside, it resembles an office block. The staff are always welcoming and professional, and do an excellent job.

The breakfasts are excellent and highly recommended. Don't miss them !!

And now the bad bits.....

My biggest gripe is with the air handling. It's WAY too noisy. No matter where you are in the building, you can hear the low whirring of fans moving the air in and out of the rooms. Whether you're in a hallway, or your own room, you just can't escape the noise.

During the daytime, it's fine, however, when you are trying to sleep (and I can sleep anywhere - trust me), it's an issue.

The air in my room was particularly warm. The temperature must have been about 24 degrees C. The room thermostat had no effect on incoming air temperature, and none of the windows open.

On my second stay, the water in the bathroom tap ran brown, with some sort of particulates present. See my photos with this review.

For a non-smoking hotel, I've no idea why the lifts always smell of nicotine!

Free wifi is non-existent unless in the hotel bar, and the access code is displayed on a board in the lobby. Internet access in the rooms is chargeable. How much longer certain hotels can get away with charging for internet access, when so many places offer it freely I have no idea.

Food in the bar is a little pricey, but not exhorbitant. A side order of chips (fries to our American cousins) is £3.50, whilst a plate of nachos will set you back £6.50. For those on a budget, there is a 24 hour Tesco store about 300 metres away - easily walkable.

Overall, this hotel could do with a bit of a facelift (in my opinion). It's starting to look a little tired compared to other brand hotels in the same price range.

I'll be heading through Gatwick in the near future, and I'm sorry to say, I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and a fan !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies failing to offer you a good night sleep and comfortable stay.
Upon receiving your feedback, our maintenance manager is investigating the issue and hopes fully we will get into the bottom of the problem and resolved it.

With regards to shuttle bus service form Gatwick airport, it is a usual thing that the buses need to stop over at all the hotels, as to drop the passengers. Just to clarify the shuttles buses are not run by us it’s a company call TGM who operates it.

Our menu price is very competitive in the market place and to make it more value for money we introducing value offers in our new menu, which will launch at the end of July.

If there are any things I can do to change your decision or you would like to discuss, please email me at operations@ramadahotelgatwick.co.uk.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We are very pleased with this hotel. We had left a present behind us on our hotel room. After a call,they had sent it to our home address. We are astonished with this great service!
We have had a very nice time in this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a qiuet room on the south side.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple