“Room good, Food salty”

Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
portsmouth
“Room good, Food salty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here before using the Meet & Greet service to gatwick airport. The hotel check-in was efficient, the room was of a good standard, with TV and all the usual things you expect, and most importantly clean.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The food was OK, although the starter took over 30mins to arrive, which they apologised for with a free glass of wine each. However, we found all the food very salty , and relatively expensive. I would not eat there again.
The meet and greet service was great, although, we had to pay for bus to airport in morning (£5.50 for two adults) which was not expected,. However the collection, when we arrived back in gatwick was very quick and we were pleased to not wait around for a long time to get the car back.
I would stay and use the service again, and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Tony F, General Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you for your positive review. We take all feedback seriously and are continually reviewing our service levels. I note your comment regarding your food and will ensure our Head Chef is aware of your feedback. Thank you once more. Hope you had a great holiday!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
south wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We spent the night before our flight to Orlando here. Booked a triple room and got a great rate of £58 through booking.com. When we arrived a twin room had been reserved for us but I showed my booking confirmation and was given the correct room. The room contained 2 single beds and a sofa bed - I thought we would get 3 singles but my daughter said the sofa bed was comfortable. The 2 single beds were a bit on the hard side.
The location was ok - not in the airport but a regular bus service picks up and drops off at the hotel. There is a 24 hour Tesco about a 10 minute walk away - good for drinks in the room.
We ate in the bar - good service and good quality food but rather expensive.
I would stay here again if I got the same great rate but the combination of the hard beds and expensive meals means that it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank maidenfan
Thank you for your honest feedback ...I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thought it good value. We continually review our pricing with our competitors and I believe that we offer good value in the area. Our restaurant and bar pricing is generally in line with the high street. I hope you will stay with us again.
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We arrived back from Crete at 0230hrs on the 23rd of September and had booked a night at this hotel.Greeted by a very friendly receptionist that was so helpful and reassring.Room excellent with all facilities.Paid £45:00 for room which the normal rate was£170:00.Will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Fifth floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review. I hope that you will stay with us again.
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed here for one night as a last minute booking when my flight was cancelled due to a tech problem. Arrived about 2100 hrs. Reception was friendly and efficient. The hotel was VERY busy with lots of groups of men/lads which as a lone female I found a bit disconcerting, particularly in the small lift to the 6th floor! For that reason I chose to order room service, and was pleasantly surprised with the choice, quality and speed of delivery (inspite of warning me of a 30minute wait as the hotel was very busy) - mine arrived in about 20 minutes and the waiter was very pleasant. One small criticism was that I'd ordered a bottle of cider but it came unopened and I spent a few minutes trying to open it with a tea spoon! Would have been a nice touch for the waiter to open the bottle for me. The room was fairly large compared to many 'airport' hotels I've stayed in and was clean, with a very large comfortable bed. The bathroom was also quite acceptable - however, overall the decoration was a bit faded/dated - but then, heh, I'm not looking to buy the place just sleep there for a night!
Check out was fine with the staff actually bothering to ask if everything had been OK for me.
One word of warning, I planned to take the airport coach (£3.20 each way) at 0810 and it didn't arrive until 0830 which I gather is due to the very busy rush hour traffic in the area, so don't leave too tight a connection time.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive review. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and found our room service quick and good value. I will of course pass on all your comments to the relevant members of my team to ensure that we continually improve our service. I hope you will stay with us again.
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Stayed here for one night before flying early morning from Gatwick. Yes, it's ok as somewhere to put your head but this is not a cosy hotel. Check in was quick and simple and the staff were friendly. We had a paid a little extra (£20) for an executive room. A total waste - other than movies channel and a small bottle of water, dont think there was anything different. The rooms were bland and anonymous - not even a bigger bed! (Perhaps the rust behind the taps on the bath was the added extra?!)
We grabbed a bite to eat in the bar. The food was nothing to write home about. My partner had a plate of nachos which were red hot and had turned to mush - with no sour cream. Just loads of melted/burnt cheese and salsa. I also ordered a glass of wine and was charged £6.50 for it. Seems if you ask for a wine they assume you want the largest and most expensive. (I did raise this with them and they did offer a small refund which was good of them.)
Check out was quick and simple and the bus to the airport turned up and took us to the terminal on time. (£5.50 charge for 2 people.)
Overall was an OK stay but would recommend using some of the local bars and eateries instead of the hotel.

1 Thank Mart_uk
Tony F, General Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

At Ramada Plaza London Gatwick it remains our main objective to deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotel and restaurants, and we do apologise that on this occasion we failed to do this. Please be assured that your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

First time at this hotel but will definitely use again. Very convenient for Gatwick Airport. nice rooms, good price, friendly service both at reception and in the bar/restaurant. Food and drink reasonably priced and well presented. Can't be faulted.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking time to provide us with valuable feedback on your recent stay.

I & my team delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay and we succeeded in creating positive impression to you.

Please visit our website for current value offers on Park & fly and social banqueting events.

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

hotel is fine, no problem. service in the bar and in particular the restaurant is absolutely excellent. I'd recommend it thoroughly as the food is also very well presented. staff were as attentive as you'd expect in a Michelin starred restaurant

• Stayed September 2012