“New owners, new level of service, best location”

Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Horam, United Kingdom
“New owners, new level of service, best location”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am familiar with the Sandman brand for my holidays in Vancouver, Canada, and in Newcastle UK, which I have reviewed for Trip Advisor, so I was quite keen to try Sandman's latest acquisition for a weekend break. This ex-Ramada hotel is easy to find on the main road network without going into Crawley town, and is walkable from Three Bridges main line train station (easy 20 minutes alongside main road) though probably not with baggage. We went out to Brighton by train for Saturday afternoon.
Having made myself known as a Sandman regular for some years, and now a senior by age (well over 55!), we were upgraded to an "Executive" room on the first floor. The bed was perfectly clean and comfortable, though I hope that in time this will be replaced by one of those huge comfy super-king Sandman beds from Canada.

In the bathroom I liked the full-size deep bath with two grab handles and two soap-holders on the tiled wall, the adjustable fixed shower-head and a retractable clothes-drying line over the bath. Somehow when showering I managed to wet the floor, so either I should be more careful or the shower curtain was too flimsy or short. The complimentary toiletries made in Italy were good, making your reviewer "Old rambler" uncharacteristically fragrant.

My room had a trouser press, ironing board and iron, fridge, hair dryer, kettle and complimentary teas, instant coffees and biscuits. On cleanliness my usual "sofa test" passed 100% - no actual sofa but I looked behind and under the furniture for dust and dirt - none.

The "full English" cooked breakfast in the restaurant on our first morning was made of good quality components and especially black pudding, but I could have had a salmon fillet and egg "special", one of several healthier options.

The car park was well-lit; good block-paved surface; easy entry and exit to main roads.

I viewed the free gym and the swimming pool (ready to re-open soon) which the hotel's new owners have refurbished to excellent standard. The Fire Escape stairs seemed OK in case we needed them (as another reviewer did on a false alarm, so I read).

The air-conditioning and heating were not exactly to our liking, but better to be too warm than cold in January; and the TV was poor (only 5 channels, sub-standard picture) - all being put right soon, so I learnt.

On Front Desk, supervisor Selicia handled the all-important welcome and check-out perfectly. In short, this hotel is ideal as a destination for my next holiday - even though it is only an hour's drive from home!

Room Tip: Our First-floor room facing the park was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony F, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear oldrambler62
Thank you for visiting the Sandman Signature London Gatwick,

Reading your response, I would like to say how pleased I am with how your stay went.
As you are familiar with Sandman properties we take your response seriously and take on board any tips you think might help us with our future developments with the company.

I’m delighted your enjoyed your breakfast- we seem to be pleasing many people with this!
I’m also delighted that Selicia made such a good first impression on you

As you are aware, we will be going through refurbishment later this year, we sincerely hope to see you soon after the hotel has been full rebranded as the Sandman Signature London Gatwick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Very musty pillow, reported it to reception when leaving, who said they would attend to it. only two tea bags, one small soap for two people, food and service excellent, lovely atmosphere in party room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tony F, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Lesley B

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is through genuine feedback like this that helps us succeed in our mission to deliver an outstanding service to our guests.

I’m glad you enjoyed your party and found the service excellent
wiltshire
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Booked through holiday extras for the night before our holiday, as location is convenient for airport but not on top of it!!
Friendly quick check in and given 10% discount if we ate in the hotel, which we took them up on, eating in the restaurant. The food was very tasty and with plenty of choice and reasonably priced. The serving staff were also very friendly and efficient.
We had a good nights comfortable sleep, and as we checked out in the morning the receptionist authorised our car park ticket as there is no charge for overnight guests.
Would definitely use again when travelling from Gatwick

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wiltssazzy
Tony F, Guest Relations Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Wiltssazzy

Thank you for your lovely review. I’m so pleased you found your overnight stay at the Sandman Signature London Gatwick enjoyable.

I am also pleased to hear the staff were so friendly and efficient, and found your evening meal to be tasty- I shall pass the compliments on to the Chef!

Hope to see you again very soon
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Good value for money. it's a bit far from Gatwick Airport, however if you take a train to Three Bridges it is 10 mins walk. GPS send us through very strange place. When I booked it through Expedia it said free swimming pool but there is no pool. Clean room, nice staff, good room size. For 4* I would expect a bit more but still happy. Furniture a bit old, bed comfortable, no shower gel in the room. It is ok for overnight stay before you fly. Contact hotel for cheap taxi. I would recommend.

Room Tip: Good night sleep for overnight stay before you fly.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Piotr21

I’m happy to hear your stay at the Sandman Signature London Gatwick was comfortable and you found our staff pleasant.

Regarding the swimming pool, we have closed it for refurbishment but hope to open again very soon!
If you do require any additional supplies for your room, if you ask our staff we are more than happy to help you

We hope to see you again soon
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before flight. Booked through airports extra. Check in and out very efficient. Used room service and food very good and didn't have to wait long. Beds very comfortable slept very well. Breakfast the following day very tasty.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tony F, Front Office Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for your good review.

We are hear that you had a comfortable night stay and enjoyed the breakfast before your flight. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Nice hotel well situated for Gatwick Airport. Very efficient reception and good sized comfortable rooms. Typical pub grub but outrageous bar prices.
During the night the cold water supply went off so only scalding hot baths and showers and no toilet flush. Not their fault, it could happen anywhere. Prompt and sympathetic response but where do you find a plumber at 5 a.m.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an executive room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Tony F, Director of Sales at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are delighted you found our staff so efficient and the rooms such a good size.
We did indeed have a problem with the water supply on the night of your stay, please do accept our apologies for this issue that was beyond our control.
Should you choose to stay with us again please do email me directly so I can offer you a complimentary upgrade! wknibbs@sandmanhotels.co.uk
FOLKESTONE
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We booked this hotel at Gatwick so we could have a good night’s sleep before our morning flight. Our room was 517 which fell well below expectation for a four star hotel. On entering the room it was very cold, the TV and telephone did not work. When I telephoned the reception from my mobile to complain the response was unhelpful, dismissive remained unresolved. The beds had one small pillow and a very thin duvet which considering the cold room was inadequate. There was also no heating in the bathroom and it was so cold we couldn’t take a shower and had to resort to a wash down at the sink.

At 03.30 the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the hotel. On leaving the room the emergency exit signs were not clear and in our disorientated state had to hunt for the stairs. When going down, along with many others, we got stuck behind a disabled woman on crutches. Why a disabled person would be allocated a room above the first floor is beyond me.

We existed the building at the back into a very dark loading bay area which was strewn with discarded creates, plastic water bottles and rubbish. There was also a step down the curb and due to the poor lighting and other debris trip hazards were plentiful. Several people did in fact trip but managed not to fall but unfortunately one poor middle aged man fell flat on his face. I helped him to his feet and he was clearly very shaken and upset.

Having reached the assembly point we were left standing in the cold wind and drizzling rain for half an hour before being allowed back in. During this time no register was taken, we were not provided with any information and on returning to the hotel there was no attempt made to offer an apology for the disturbance. When I enquired about the problem was I greeted with a very surly and blunt “It was a false alarm”.

Needless to say I was unable to get back to sleep which defeated the point of staying at a hotel in the first place.

The next morning I raised my concerns about the state of the area leading from the emergency exit and the lack of lighting. The young man behind the reception became argumentative and although he acknowledged there were creates and other debris strewn around he insisted there was a working security light. If this was in fact the case it was clearly not sufficient for the job of providing illumination for many evacuating guests in the middle of the night.

We regularly stay overnight at Gatwick before taking a flight and this has to be my worst experience to date. I have not let this put me off but will certainly not being staying here again.

2 Thank ANTHONY W
We are disappointed to see you had such a negative experience during your stay with us. We are taking your feedback very seriously and looking into the issues you raised.
So we can discuss this further to assist our investigation could you please contact me directly? wknibbs@sandmanhotels.co.uk
Many thanks