I am familiar with the Sandman brand for my holidays in Vancouver, Canada, and in Newcastle UK, which I have reviewed for Trip Advisor, so I was quite keen to try Sandman's latest acquisition for a weekend break. This ex-Ramada hotel is easy to find on the main road network without going into Crawley town, and is walkable from Three Bridges main line train station (easy 20 minutes alongside main road) though probably not with baggage. We went out to Brighton by train for Saturday afternoon.
Having made myself known as a Sandman regular for some years, and now a senior by age (well over 55!), we were upgraded to an "Executive" room on the first floor. The bed was perfectly clean and comfortable, though I hope that in time this will be replaced by one of those huge comfy super-king Sandman beds from Canada.
In the bathroom I liked the full-size deep bath with two grab handles and two soap-holders on the tiled wall, the adjustable fixed shower-head and a retractable clothes-drying line over the bath. Somehow when showering I managed to wet the floor, so either I should be more careful or the shower curtain was too flimsy or short. The complimentary toiletries made in Italy were good, making your reviewer "Old rambler" uncharacteristically fragrant.
My room had a trouser press, ironing board and iron, fridge, hair dryer, kettle and complimentary teas, instant coffees and biscuits. On cleanliness my usual "sofa test" passed 100% - no actual sofa but I looked behind and under the furniture for dust and dirt - none.
The "full English" cooked breakfast in the restaurant on our first morning was made of good quality components and especially black pudding, but I could have had a salmon fillet and egg "special", one of several healthier options.
The car park was well-lit; good block-paved surface; easy entry and exit to main roads.
I viewed the free gym and the swimming pool (ready to re-open soon) which the hotel's new owners have refurbished to excellent standard. The Fire Escape stairs seemed OK in case we needed them (as another reviewer did on a false alarm, so I read).
The air-conditioning and heating were not exactly to our liking, but better to be too warm than cold in January; and the TV was poor (only 5 channels, sub-standard picture) - all being put right soon, so I learnt.
On Front Desk, supervisor Selicia handled the all-important welcome and check-out perfectly. In short, this hotel is ideal as a destination for my next holiday - even though it is only an hour's drive from home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each of the beautifully appointed 151 bedrooms at our hotel near Gatwick airport has air conditioning, an en-suite bathroom, flat screen LCD TV featuring in room entertainment and high speed Internet access.Savour a relaxing meal in the Brassiere Restaurant, which serves contemporary modern food in stylish surroundings or take it easy in our friendly Club Bar. Alternatively hit the gym in the on-site fitness centre to shake off any jetlag. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Lastminute, Superbreak UK, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Plaza London Gatwick Hotel Crawley
- Ramada Hotel Crawley
- Ramada Hotel Plaza Gatwick
- Ramada Crawley
- Crawley Ramada
- Ramada Plaza Gatwick
- Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel Crawley, West Sussex