“Unrelaxing, sleepless night in hotel in need of a face lift!!!”

Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Bangkok, Thailand
“Unrelaxing, sleepless night in hotel in need of a face lift!!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Due for an early morning flight from Gatwick, my boyfriend booked this hotel due to it's good reputation in Newcastle to score some brownie points and to kick start a romantic night to our first holiday away.

I was so excited to start our relaxation with a lovely bath and a huge bed and early night for our 7am flight.

When we arrived we were most dissapointed. This hotel is in need of some serious updating!!! The bathrooms look very dated, with blue ceilings and pink and white checked tiles. I wouldn't have even have put my dog in the mucky bath!!!

The bed was just a normal double and when your boyfriend is 6"4 is not going to lead to a good night sleep.

The whole hotel seems to have a deep rumbling noise and if you are a light sleeper then this may keep you up all night!!!

Having booked our car parking for our early flights through the hotel, you would have thought that putting a stag do in the four surrounding rooms was an extremely bad idea. Being woken up at 1.30am by loud music and shouting was the last thing we needed to start our holiday.

The hotel porter was the only good thing about our stay here who changed our room at 1.30am so we could try and get a little bit of sleep here.

For the difference in price I would suggest booking the marriot!!! Or try camping in a field! It may be quieter!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Nicole2424

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Horam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I last posted a review of this Sandman Signature four months ago, January 2014, and my latest visit was the long weekend towards the end of May. I was not travelling anywhere but I chose Sandman again as the best place for a relaxing weekend and the big breakfasts. And the fantastic swimming pool is now refurbished and in use - it's not too deep, no more than four feet, so should suit young families and novice swimmers alike. Last time I was here I requested Sandman to install a wall clock for the pool, so that I would not be swimming past my due departure time - it's not there yet, but they kindly allowed me a late checkout. My rating for "spa" is for the swimming pool only, as the steam room and spa bath are out of use pending a refurb.

I count myself as a Sandman "regular", having again revisited Sandman in Vancouver Canada for a week's holiday since January, and I was again upgraded to one of the quiet spacious "Executive" rooms on the First Floor.

This time the bath had only one grab handle on the wall, not two, and the water from the shower was very hot, actually too hot sometimes, and I don't think that the temperature valve was working as it should. I like the retractable clothes-drying line which you can pull out above the length of the bath. The wash-basin is set in a large counter top where you have room for all your bathroom things. The plumbing was absolutely fine - basin, bath and loo. But the loo paper was incredibly thin and narrow - I think that the Signature brand deserves at least the market-leader in loo rolls!

The double bed was comfy but I hope that Sandman will eventually install one of their super king-size beds which I so love in their Canadian hotels. The room was very clean and apparently free of dust, but in my "sofa test" (the term I use in Reviews to describe my inspections of under and behind furniture) I found a peanut under the moveable bed (just one, half a peanut actually, and not mine). Sorry, Sandman, but you know I always look there.

The large flat-screen TV was good, and we connected with the hotel's free wi-fi. For breakfast we found a choice of probably everything anyone could ask for. We served ourselves with all the components of the full English cooked breakfast, including black pudding and bacon which was possibly the best bacon I have ever had.

I'll review this superb hotel again if they'll have me back after my comment about the peanut under the bed.

Room Tip: Simply ask Reception for what you would like, they seem willing to oblige. There is some refurbishm...
1 Thank oldrambler62
England
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here 11th May night before our holiday & had a fantastic stay. Our room was really comfortable & the staff were really friendly even showing us around the pool when we couldn't get in. I got to say the food was delicious definitely would recomend this, we couldn't wait for the restaurant to open so we ate our meal in the bar as alot of others as well.
Would definitely stay here again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is a perfectly acceptable middle of the road option for overnight stays at Gatwick. It is better than other economy hotels and yet less expensive than more upmarket hotels which are wasted on a one night stay with an early flight next day. The Maple Manor parking deal was good value, the restaurant was OK, the room was decent and the taxi transfer efficicient. Like all airport hotels it was nothing exceptional but it was a perfectly suitable choice for an overnight stay prior to an early flight.

Room Tip: If you don' t like your room, ask to change it, we did and no hassle.
Gosport England
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night before our holiday flight using maple manor meet and greet service which we use every holiday. The meet and greet is excellent, they drop your car at the terminal when you land and off you go. The hotel is ideal for an over night stay but the rooms are just too hot! We tossed and turned all night. We did mention this on checkout but the girl just said 'sorry' and that was it. Having stayed at other airport hotels I would probably stay elsewhere next time as a good nights sleep is what you need before a long journey and sadly we never got that.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked this hotel the night before an early flight

We were greeted by a friendly face and a smile, and even thought there was a little difficulty parking, the receptionist let us park near the entrance to unload and we did park.

The rooms are a lovely size with the standard double having a small sofa and coffee sized table.

We eat at the hotel and yes it was a little more expensive than a basic restaurant but was still good value for money and the food very reasonable.

Highly recommended will use again.

Room Tip: Book through APH website with Parking for a cracking deal here. Arrive a little earlier in the afte...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Holon, Israel
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel for one night with my bicycle while i travel from London to Paris.
The staff really nice show us the park for the bicycle.
The room was comfortable,clean and tidy and had lot of space,
The shower had good stream of water .
The wi fi had very good single.
The swimmingpool was open and the water were warming and relexing.The best way to end hard day on the saddle.
The breakfast was reach bufftet.

1 Thank udym44