“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Epping
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked into this hotel as my family and I had an early morning wake up call (03:30) for a flight.
On going to our room we found it to be very warm, so I turned on the air con unit and discovered it only blew hot air out.

I called down to reception and informed them of the problem and I was offered a fan for the room (One was already in the room probably due to a previous complaint regarding the air con unit)
I declined the fan and explained that it would just move the hot air around the room.

We was then moved to another family room with a working air con unit and everything seemed good until my wife and I tried to sleep at 21:30............

There was a constant clanging of pipes that we could hear!

After some investigation it transpired we had been put next to the boiler room, I called reception to complain about the noise from the room and at first the receptionist pretended that this noise didn't exist, I offered for her to come and hear the noise for herself but she declined.
Then she said "It'll switch off at 22:30 as it's on a timer"
Finally remembering that we was in the room next to the noisy boiler with a 03:30 wake up call!

We was then offered our 2nd room change at 22:00 but by this time our children had luckily fallen asleep. The clanging went on until past 23:00 and my wife and I woke up the next day exhausted.

It was not the relaxing stress free start to our holiday that we had hoped for.

I would not recommend this hotel or ever use them again.

Room Tip: Avoid 612 at all costs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Strudlehoffer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Sandman the night before we flew to Turkey. Clean, comfortable rooms large bedrooms. Had a meal in the bar. Decent varied menu. We both had the chicken pies which was full and flavoursome. After a good night's sleep enjoyed a buffet breakfast that was also very good. Receptionists were very helpful with directing us to the airport carpark. Will stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chanders64
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel provides everything you need for a comfortable stay. The room was spacious with modern bathroom and lovely beds! We had an excellent meal in the bar area. I was impressed by the standard of food. Helpful staff ensure that taxis are booked and we were even offered a wake up call to prepare for our early flight. A very pleasant start to our holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lesley H
lichfield
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here for one night before an early morning flight. The hotel is lovely - very clean with a good bar and great facilities. Our room was very nice too. There was a slight issue with my parking (I booked 4 days in site parking ), but full credit to the hotel - the rectified the problem quickly and even called me to apologise. I would highly recommend this hotel. I'd also recommend the on site parking option which is significantly cheaper than airport parking.

• Stayed May 2014
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Facilities are decent. Rooftop pool is marred by their insistence on playing loud music of their choice. Outside, the junkies are a pain - loud and aggressive. Not moved on and hence harass guests. Not on, I'm afraid.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank peterabbotts
Sussex
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed for one night in April as a 'hotel + parking' deal before flying out very early the next morning.

The hotel was much better than most of the other Gatwick hotels we have stayed in before. It was easy to park and good to know that our car stayed there and wasn't moved to a compound.

The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious & clean. The large bed was extremely comfortable. We arrived late and left early but wished we had been able to use more of the facilities, we will next time. The taxi service to and from the airport was extremely hassle free especially at the end of our holiday.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SussexCherries
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Due for an early morning flight from Gatwick, my boyfriend booked this hotel due to it's good reputation in Newcastle to score some brownie points and to kick start a romantic night to our first holiday away.

I was so excited to start our relaxation with a lovely bath and a huge bed and early night for our 7am flight.

When we arrived we were most dissapointed. This hotel is in need of some serious updating!!! The bathrooms look very dated, with blue ceilings and pink and white checked tiles. I wouldn't have even have put my dog in the mucky bath!!!

The bed was just a normal double and when your boyfriend is 6"4 is not going to lead to a good night sleep.

The whole hotel seems to have a deep rumbling noise and if you are a light sleeper then this may keep you up all night!!!

Having booked our car parking for our early flights through the hotel, you would have thought that putting a stag do in the four surrounding rooms was an extremely bad idea. Being woken up at 1.30am by loud music and shouting was the last thing we needed to start our holiday.

The hotel porter was the only good thing about our stay here who changed our room at 1.30am so we could try and get a little bit of sleep here.

For the difference in price I would suggest booking the marriot!!! Or try camping in a field! It may be quieter!

• Stayed May 2014