“Oversold and hot”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Dublin, Ireland
“Oversold and hot”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed one night in preparation for a flight and would have been better off camping.
The room was spacious and luxurious, as the hotel claims to be, but it was also very hot. There are no windows to open and the air conditioning has two settings; loud and off.
The heat issue extends to the pool where the changing rooms were turned up to Bikram yoga standards. Seriously unpleasant.
The reception is placed in an odd position right by the bar and restaurant - two separate rooms - which was a bit unpleasant as both were busy. I didn't use the restaurant because it was the same as being in the bar - they were too close.
It doesn't haven't an airport shuttle, which had been claimed on the third party website I booked the room on. This is a growing, irritating trend. It does offer a good deal - half price - with a local taxi firm, but I unearthed this too late for getting to the hotel.
Overall, this hotel is presently selling itself as a bit better than it is. Without the swimming pool, it's no more luxurious than a Premier Inn. I won't be staying again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We utilised APH to do a stay & fly for week away, & this was the hotel we chose completely blind, aesthetically not the nicest place to look at but great inside, we arrived about 10PM on a Friday night, room was on the 6th floor & was smallish but spotless, big TV, big bed, lovely bathroom. Had a night cap & went of to bed, in the morning no rush as 13.00 flight from Gatwick, for £7.50 each had a absolutely fantastic breakfast. Lots of good quality choice (buffet style) lashings of filter coffee from the kitchen, filled my boots to last me till evening meal at destination hotel. Staff friendly, efficient & would happily stay again, well done.

Room Tip: If have time go have a leisurely breakfast
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ray O
Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before a flight the next day. We booked with holiday extras which included the hotel stay and meet and greet parking through maple manor. On arrival we left our keys at reception and on return from our holiday the car was delivered back to gatwick airport, all very easy. The reception staff were all very friendly and helpful, booking us a taxi for the next morning to the airport. The rooms are a little dated but they are large and comfortable, perfect for a one night stay. We ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. Overall a good stay and we would recommend

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It did exactly what it did on the can! To quote a well known advert. I booked on late rooms, got a great rate for a hotel I have stayed at on a few previous holidays, upgraded to an executive room with breakfast and under £100, also found out it had a swimming pool and made use of that as were not flying out till late afternoon, all in all excellent value for money

Room Tip: for £20 upgrade the room if its available
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HarryHHarrie
Epping
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked into this hotel as my family and I had an early morning wake up call (03:30) for a flight.
On going to our room we found it to be very warm, so I turned on the air con unit and discovered it only blew hot air out.

I called down to reception and informed them of the problem and I was offered a fan for the room (One was already in the room probably due to a previous complaint regarding the air con unit)
I declined the fan and explained that it would just move the hot air around the room.

We was then moved to another family room with a working air con unit and everything seemed good until my wife and I tried to sleep at 21:30............

There was a constant clanging of pipes that we could hear!

After some investigation it transpired we had been put next to the boiler room, I called reception to complain about the noise from the room and at first the receptionist pretended that this noise didn't exist, I offered for her to come and hear the noise for herself but she declined.
Then she said "It'll switch off at 22:30 as it's on a timer"
Finally remembering that we was in the room next to the noisy boiler with a 03:30 wake up call!

We was then offered our 2nd room change at 22:00 but by this time our children had luckily fallen asleep. The clanging went on until past 23:00 and my wife and I woke up the next day exhausted.

It was not the relaxing stress free start to our holiday that we had hoped for.

I would not recommend this hotel or ever use them again.

Room Tip: Avoid 612 at all costs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Strudlehoffer
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Sandman the night before we flew to Turkey. Clean, comfortable rooms large bedrooms. Had a meal in the bar. Decent varied menu. We both had the chicken pies which was full and flavoursome. After a good night's sleep enjoyed a buffet breakfast that was also very good. Receptionists were very helpful with directing us to the airport carpark. Will stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chanders64
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel provides everything you need for a comfortable stay. The room was spacious with modern bathroom and lovely beds! We had an excellent meal in the bar area. I was impressed by the standard of food. Helpful staff ensure that taxis are booked and we were even offered a wake up call to prepare for our early flight. A very pleasant start to our holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family