“Highly recommended”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
England
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We needed a hotel for 1 night near Gatwick Airport and found the Ramada Jarvis on the Internet. As the price for B&B was £63 we didn't expect much, probably Holiday Inn Express standard. We were very pleasantly surprised by the high quality room. It was like being in a modern, expensive boutique hotel. Flat screen TV, kettle, hair dryer, dimmable lights, very good bathroom and comfortable bed. Breakfast (included) was served in the Arts restaurant which was, like the room, very contemporary. It is self service which I prefer as you get exactly what you want. Cereals, juices, fruit, croissants etc. plus a full range of hot breakfast - fried egg on fried bread rounds (very clever), black pudding, bacon, beans, tomatoes, scrambled egg, hash browns. Lovely. As a bonus to the great hotel, the staff are excellent too. All those who we interacted with were happy, friendly and helpful. I can't recommend this hotel too highly. I have marked down 1 point for location only because for our visit it would have had to be at the airport to be perfect, but it's only a few minutes drive away and very easy to find, being well signed. Well done Ramada, and very well done to the Manager at Three Bridges.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
england
Reviewed 23 January 2010

My husband and I were going away for a few days for our 20th wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday. Thought we would make life easier as we had received a voucher to stay for one night at a Ramada Plaza hotel. Picked this one as we had an early flight next day. On arrival we were asked if we wanted an early morning alarm call which we said yes to, asked to be woken at 5am after having a drink in the bar we decided that we should change it to 4.45am as the roads were icy and we wanted to make sure we got to the airport in time. Woke up next morning at 6:20am our flight left at 7:05 no one had woken us and didn't seem bothered when we complained. As we had to rush out we asked for them to send us the bill which went on our credit card this should have only been for two drinks. Got to the airport had missed the flight had to pay extra to get on the next flight and a 6 hour wait! to top it all on our return had the bill for our stay sent to us they charged us for the room as well! fed up called them spoke to finance who said to write in and they would deal with it, all in all a whole lot of bother for something that was meant to make our lifes easier. have only just been refunded for the hotel stay. Would never stay there again and if you have an early morning flight book in somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hubbjay
north east
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We booked a triple room with breakfast and dinner included for one night. On arrival at 2145hrs we waited to be check in at reception. Not one decent English speaker on the staff. Half an hour wait and then we were told we would miss dinner unless we ordered from the bar immediately. Waited at the bar (one staff member serving 12 people) for 10 minutes to be told no meals available. I returned to reception to explain and then went back to the bar with the duty manager. We were told we could order but no starters or desserts. The meals arrived 10 minutes later and waited on the bar for 20 minutes as the barman could not serve them as he was not sure if we had booked dinner,bed and breakfast package. I returned to reception to get the manager's help again. The meals were then served cold. I paid for some drinks in cash and was then asked to pay for them again at the end of the meal. Manager had to be called again to explain to the barman that we had paid for the drinks. English language proving to be the stumbling point.
Our room had no heating at all. It was -5 degrees C outside and 12 degrees C in our room. Brown tap water and scum around the bath too. Maybe I should have gone downstairs to get the room changed but after my previous experience with the staff I thought I may lose control. We had been travelling for 8 hours prior to our arrival.

Breakfast? The young lady who greeted us asked to see our room card. I had to leave to return to the room 3 times and on each return to the breakfast room was asked by the same girl to prove I was a resident. We were the only 3 guests in the breakfast room.
At check out time, I was asked to pay for the drinks from the previous night again. This time the receptionist could not string 2 words of English together so I was delayed 30 minutes more.
Yes, this review is all complaints and no praise, but I cannot find a good thing to comment upon. Senior management need to address the English speaking skills needed to run an hotel. In all the countries I have travelled to, I have never had such a bad experience with language. I was spoken to in Arabic, Polish and Ugandan at check in. If they had given me eye contact then I may have been able to use gestures to communicate.
Language aside, the hotel is not 4 star. It is not a good start or end to an holiday. I am considering litigation to address my grievances.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank alastair1969
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 10 December 2009

This is a low cost Ramada hotel near the airport, it's just off the M23, which is why I stayed here. The rate I paid was £66 on account through a corporate booking agent, the rack rate for the day was £120 - although I refuse to believe that anyone would pay this.

The check in was slow, but the staff were friendly, enough. Inside the hotel is spotlessly clean, although it's old - decor from the 90's is throughout the hotel (Twin Peaks anyone?) - it's a bit sad really, as you get the feeling that staying here was something to brag about once but now it's all very tired, especially the bathroom.

The restaurant serves good food, that's very expensive, and the bar staff will overcharge you for drinks whilst taking a long time to do it also.

Breakfast is a buffet affair, but there's plenty of choice, and it's a great start to the day.

The main thing about this place is the price you can get, if you see a bargain rate, you may as well stay in a faded 4* hotel, rather than a brand new 2*?

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Lincoln
Reviewed 8 December 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 my wife and I stayed here for one evening before flying to Qatar the folowing morning. However, at approximately 11.30pm the fire alarm sounded and we proceeded to the evacuation point as shown in our room. We used the stairwell along with most of the guests. We then assembled outside the main door as described on the evacuation plan details only to be told to go into the main reception area. It was absolute chaos, no memeber of staff appeared to know what to do or how to offer further instructions. No roll call or identication was made at all! There could well have been people still in their rooms. After the fire brigade arrived and checked out the hotel, people were simply doing as they pleased, the bar was still open and serving drinks. With no management control or advice people were drifting back to their rooms and using the lifts! Eventually someone said it was now ok to return to our rooms but yet again this was not announced clearly enough. I understand the fault was someone smoking in their room but I dont suppose any action was taken!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Spain
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We had a one-night stopover before flying out again next morning and went through tons and tons of options for Gatwick hotels...in the end we were really happy we chose this one. We searched the net for the best rates and got a fantastic deal, we didn´t even realise it included breakfast but it turned out it did! There are some negative comments about this hotel but truly we could only say positive things, the staff were helpful, the room was really quite large and the bed comfortable, everything clean and the buffet breakfast was just right before an early morning flight. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
waspette
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We stayed here for a 1 night airport stopover, so weren't really there very long. The rooms were decent and comfortable but the welcome was pretty frosty at reception when we arrived and gave the place a bit of a dismal atmosphere. It seemed a bit brighter and nicer in the morning. Pretty standard airport hotel and was good value online. We pre-booked a local taxi firm to pick us up because the airport shuttle bus disappointingly stopped at 11pm! It was much cheaper than the rip-off airport taxis and only cost us £8.50, only a couple of pounds more than the shuttle bus

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends