“Disastrous hotel”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Gatwick
“Disastrous hotel”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was one calamity after another. After entering the "family" room bathroom to find NO handle on the inside to leave! The hotel staff informed me via my wife on the telephone no maintenance staff work Sundays. The door was physically kicked in from the outside to free me! After moving to a second room and getting to sleep, the fire alarm in the room decided to keep going off around 10.30pm. We had an early start with a 4am checkin so ordered a early morning call for 3am. The call arrived at 2am! When asked the clerk why the wrong time had been entered into the computer he told us early morning calls were made manually! So why did we receive the call? "I wondered that myself" was the answer!
Appalling service! Disgraceful rooms!
The only people I would recommend this hotel to, is someone I was not very keen on!
Do Not use this disgraceful hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Norman G
Bina P, Public Relations Manager at Ramada Crawley Gatwick, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
The first room should not have been let to you and so I would like to apologise for the poor stay you had with us on this occasion. The fire alarm activation was unfortunate, but of course we have to comply with our fire policy in the interest of the safety of our guests and I do apologies for any nuisance caused. I have addressed the Wake Up call issue withal employees and advised how imperative it is to ensure that there are no mistakes with issues such as these. The night staff on duty is extremely apologetic regarding this and has assured that more care and attention will be given to all work carried out.

I do hope you give us one more chance to service you again which will have no cause for complaints.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Right I'll try again- second time to write this review!
Don't stay here!
I stay in this hotel because of work, however next time I will stipulate where I want to stay. Firstly, I think the hotel are writing there own reviews as there is 'no' way you would give this hotel credit, plus they all mention the same problems- 'no' lift or bar.
So let's get to the point why I feel so strongly to actually write a review on a hotel I've stayed at.. As never have before regardless on if it was good or bad experience- which is wrong and think I may very well do more.
So, why don't I think you should stay here because quite frankly they have Bed Bugs. Which after me' mentioning this to one member of staff they quite openly spoke about.. Was I offered an apology for all these bed bug bites I had over my body. No not at the time and they weren't very helpful. I did get a lame email but 'no' mention of my friends that ate me', just an apology for inconvenience. Well it was an inconvenience, if you read up on these bugs they are extremely hard to get rid of and spread rapidly. For several weeks I freaked out at home thinking I'd exported them, more bites appeared on my body as the weeks went on but apparently this happens. I had to take all my clothes to the laundrette to hot wash, throw away my suite case all in the desperate attempt 'not to take any home. The hotel are aware of there problem and haven't done enough to get rid of them. Just buying new beds is not enough!
I would say for your sanity do not stay here, as I have had many sleepless night and anxiety because of this.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank LuckyNo79
Again I would like to apologise for the issue you faced during your stay. It is not acceptable to have bed bugs but ‘All’ hotels experience such issues at one time or another. It is common to bring back bed bugs from abroad, unfortunately they do travel in passenger luggage bags. I would like to assure you that with our hotel, this is an extreme one off case. I would like to assure you that we haven’t had a problem with bed bugs for long time now. When we do detect bed bugs we immediately close off the room and a specialist company is called out to treat the room and all furniture is disposed of as required.

We would never knowingly let a room with such an issue and once again apologise for the nuisance that was caused due to this issue. I can assure you that we have since taken more measures and have increased regular checks on all rooms to ensure that another customer does not face this problem again.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Booked this hotel for 8 of us (4 rooms) as a stopover before an early Gatwick flight. Location convenient for centre of Crawley and proximity to Gatwick. Would not stay here again though. No hotwater for shower at 5am (or 6 just before we left) for any of us either in original building or newest edition. This place must be used a lot for early morning departures so frankly, not good enough!! Also in one of the rooms bed so creaky that no sleep had at all and radiator wouldnt turn down in another so slept in a sauna! Needs total overhaul!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cjt0105
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The hotel facilities were very good - perfect for a quick trip to London for a short while. The rooms were well kept and the fascilities in the room were sufficient for a quick in-room breakfast.

The only drawback, being a vegetarian, was the dinner menu. It was extremely limited and I wish there were some healthy foods aside from soup's..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I am extremely happy that you were pleased with our service and enjoyed your stay with us. We do apologise for the limited vegetarian menu in the restaurant and have passed on your feedback to the restaurant for them to address. Thank you for choosing to stay with Ramada Crawley Gatwick and we hope to see you again soon.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed for one night. Good sized room and very comfortable bed.First class breakfast and plenty of it.- impressive. However there was no bar available and we had to go next door for a drink to a bar filled to the rafters with youngsters. Not what we really wanted. Also there is no lift and that could be a problem for some guests. Very helpful staff both in reception and in the breakfast room. All in all excellent value for money and if we want an overnight stay in the area in the future we would have no hesitation in going back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Green444
We thoroughly appreciate the time you’ve taken to provide us with feedback on your stay. I am pleased that you were impressed with our service and that we were able to meet your requirements. The bar next door is open to the public on the high street and so we cannot limit the crowd it attracts. I do apologise it wasn’t to your taste.

With regards to the lift unfortunately we can’t have planning permission to build a lift within the building as it is a Grade II listed building, however our staff are always on hand to help with luggage and assist our customers to their rooms.

Overall I would like to thank you for your feedback, and happy to know that you would visit us again. We look forward to seeing you.
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 10 January 2012

It is a wonderful house, if you love historical places. I do. At first, it is so closed to Gatwick Airport. We took a local bus no 10, but you can also use a train, they are both comfortable, and go often, Bus is a little cheaper.
At the first sight it was difficult to find the hotel, because the High Street in Crawley has no house numbers. And the Google Maps has shown the location wrong. And the locals know the hotel under its old name, hotel George, if you ask the way. But we found it and were happy. Old house, used as hotel since 1615, not so much "overrenovated", still all comforts as a nice bathroom and bath. Very closed to everything, pubs, restaurants, shopping area, bus and train station. Big ASDA supermarket near the hotel backyard.
The hotel is not so good, if you have problems with stairs or very heavy luggage, because there are no lifts in this old house. But you can ask help from staff.
The room has been clean, with big wardrobe. Beds have been comfortable and bedsheets clean. Coffee and tea facilities in the room, replaced daily.
Breakfast has been good, nothing special, but warm and nice.
And what has been important for me, they have rooms for smokers. It is extreemly important for me, because for me the hotel without smoking possibility is the same, as the hotel with the toilet outside. Nothing to do.

Room Tip: They tell, that rooms in the yard side are more quiet. There can be noisy on streets on Friday night...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank thelabella
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We arrived on 14th September after booking through an online company called Holiday Extras.
We were travelling to Orlando the next day so had 6 suitcases with us.
When we checked in we were told our rooms were across the courtyard ( not ideal).
When we got in to the other building we then realised there was no lift!
When we went back to reception there was only 1 young lad on duty. He offered to help us up the stairs with all the cases,. We were a party of 3 adults and 3 children under 11 and I personally had recently had back surgery so could not help. APPALLING for such a large company. Our rooms were warm and we had to have fans in the room.Needless to say the 2 other adults in the party ( both ladies) had to carry the cases down in the morning!
I contacted Holiday Extras who offered me 15% off my next booking .........NO CHANCE of booking with them again hotel was desperate

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Bina P, Manager at Ramada Crawley Gatwick, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
The Ramada Crawley Gatwick is very close to the airport and being on the High Street makes it an attractive place to stay, with numerous bars, restaurants and shopping facilities right on our doorstep. Formerly, it was a coaching inn dating back to 1615, and is steeped in history and character. Due to having such historical significance the property is a 'Grade II listed building'.

With listed buildings significant changes cannot be made, and unfortunately this includes us installing a new lift. However, our staff are always happy to assist with luggage to and from guest bedrooms.