“Warm night in Crawley” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Warm night in Crawley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Can you get better than this place for the money? I sincerely doubt it, it was £70.00 for bed and a full English breakfast, the room was huge, the wi-fi was free, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom and shower were great. I eat in the Japanese restuarant which was very good, I will go again. The only minus point was that my room did not have air-con, if it did have my rating would have been 5 stars and not 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Air-con.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was the hotel we chose to stay for one night when my brother and I traveled to UK for the first time (sorry, this was like 3 years ago but i still felt obliged to leave a rating). Since it was the first time traveling to UK, we didn't know a thing and chose this hotel at the last minute after looking online at the airport in Canada before departure (it was a Cadana -> UK flight). yes it was grimmy and rainy but the experience was not too bad for the first hotel in UK. the concierge was very kind to us despite our foreign-demeanor (we just had finished our education in the US). we had a pretty comfortable room to stay in and don't really remember anything bad about this hotel. maybe we were just too excited for our UK adventures. anyway, the concierge was really nice. when we were leaving the next day, we had to find the train station and the guy actually went out of his way to show us how to get to the station so we get to London on time. it was a delightful experience for our 1st hotel in UK (and the 1st in EU as well) and couldn't complain.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Jaeho S
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My general impression from a one night stay is that the rooms in the Sussex Suite are beyond their sell by date. The ceiling in the bathroom was cracked with paint peeling and the glass skylight was also cracked. I could not say that the room was not clean but the décor was clearly old and dark giving a rather indifferent image both in the room and corridor. The entrance door to the Sussex Suite had been damaged the repair looked somewhat amateur and insecure. On a more positive note, the car park was free and the two people that I saw in Reception were pleasant. I did not take breakfast so cannot comment on that. For the price paid, it was overall a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Drammen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Was just looking for a cheap overnight place and got this charming, antique surprise more than worth its money. Nice, clean room, comfortable beds, waterboiler pluss tea and coffee in the room. Unfortunately we did not try the breakfast, as we had to leave really early in the morning to catch our plane from Gatwick. Local bus no 10 is a 15 min ride from the airport. If going back to Crawley, I would never bother to look for another hotel. Ramada Crawley was a perfect stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank 55Annegreth
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A perfect hotel & location for pre flight from gatwick, staff friendly & room very clean & plenty of room. The biggest bonus is the amount of restaurants & pubs directly outside the hotel would definitely recommend to anybody wanting to fly from gatwick or just visiting Crawley. It's also a lovely old building even tho the surrounding area isn't the best at the back but having many restaurants & bars in walking distance of one another makes up for that.

Stayed June 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

After parking my car in the dimly lit dodgy looking car park we lugged all our bags into reception & were given the key to a room in 'The Sussex Suite', a building we had just walked past & commented what a dump it was & we hope we aren't staying there ! The room was dark, smelly & dated, the bathroom was a mishmash of different shaped cut tiles to fit around the fixtures. I'm glad I was just here for 4 & half hours between flights, I don't think I could have stayed any longer ! Possible the worse hotel I've stayed in.
Best thing about it was the bathroom bath taps, they were new & modern unlike the rest of the bathroom.
Best tip.....stay somewhere else !

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Paula R
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have stayed at the George many times, but felt I had to post a review after my most recent visit as this is really a very good place to stay for a very modest price.

Some of the external areas could benefit from some decorative work, however the rooms are clean and everything works in them, the dining room is clean and pleasant with an excellent full breakfast available for just £5 !!!!!!

One of the greatest strengths of The George and a huge factor in having a pleasant stay is the staff who are all polite, helpful and efficient.

The George is right in the middle of Crawley---- 10 minutes or less walk from the bus & train stations and a £2-20p bus ride into Gatwick Airport. 5minutes walk or less to town centre shops, cafes etc.

I have no hesitation in recommending The George to anyone, I have stayed in many hotels, some costing four times as much which can't match the overall experience of The George.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business