“Dont be fooled by its grand exterior”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Ringsted, Denmark
“Dont be fooled by its grand exterior”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The drive to the hotel is grand and makes you feel you've made a good choice but once you've stepped into reception you feel you've stepped into a giant indian restaurant.

The corridors are a trip back to the 80's and as for the rooms : Artex ceilings, peach bathroom, brass light fittings. You get the feel. But we had the added bonus of a McDonalds bag in our room; some suspicious stains on the ceiling, a sag in the middle bed; nice bit of white painted plywood holding up the bathroom extract fan.

To say the hotel is in need of a refurbishment is an under statement. Apart from the above:
1. No wifi except in reception
2. Breakfast £14!!
3. The shuttle to Gatwick is £4 a person so a family is probably cheaper getting a taxi.

The staff are reasonably polite but unfortunately, are tired and indifferent due the tiredness of the hotel.
Not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations in that you found the accommodation to be outdated. Your comments have been passed to our Property Manager and Head Housekeeper as well as the General Manager. We do have various projects in hand regarding improvements to our product, in fact, only today we are having brand new beds installed in the hotel. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a constructive review.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We would like to thank all of the staff for another great stay at the Copthorne Effiingham. We had booked the weekend to celebrate my birthday and we received great service and a fantastic room yet again. The food in the restaurant was really delicious and the waiting staff very attentive.

We did have to leave early on the Sunday evening due to my daughter going into labour with our first grandchild and the reception staff were very helpful and understanding.

Now everything is back to normal my wife and I are hoping to return in the very near future to enjoy another relaxing weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting a review following your recent stay with us. We were very pleased to read how much you both enjoyed your stay once again despite having to cut it short owing to the birth of your grandchild. Congratulations from us all at the hotel. Thank you also for your compliments about our staff which will be passed on to all concerned.
We hope to welcome you both back very soon and wish you every happiness while you get to know the new baby.
Kindest regards
Rhodes, Greece
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Filthy horrible stinking , stained and threadbare carpet in the dirty and bad smelling room.
The bathroom was horrid and when one put on the light the fan started with such a noise I could not stand it and the smell made me want to throw up. A dead insect in the bathroom.
The bed sheets smelled bad and I had to open the windows in order to get some semblance of freshness in there.
The spa was DISGUSTING. Hot tub....not working, Steam room...not working....No towels, floor of the changing room so dirty I could not put bare feet down, as bad as the bed room.
The breakfast was foul the wall paper where I attempted to sit was stained and in the end I left as early as possible for the airport, which was cleaner than the hotel.
What a horrible dirty place. I would rather sleep on a park bench than EVER pay good money to stay in that over priced english hovel.
Normally I stay in a marriot or chain hotel.....NOW I remember why. I could not wait to leave and the staff were as bad as the place. Could not care less about anyone's complaints.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We were extremely surprised and sorry to read your comments and wish to assure you they have been taken very seriously by the management team. Each point you have raised invidually has been discussed with our Head Housekeeper and Property Manager. While we are aware that some of our rooms are in need of modernisation, however, comments regarding cleanliness are taken very seriously as these can have implications for the health of our guests and staff.
Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.
Yours sincerely
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

hotel very clean, events team superb,
restauraunt staff excellent
Reception, very helpful indeed , Amazing
I asked for an Iron, this was sent to my room in minutes, amazing service
will certainly stay again

DJ Jazzy J x

Room Tip: room 243 nice quiet room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff helpful and friendly. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
england
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We decided to book the parking hotel package via Holiday Extras and the process was simple and well explained, we opted to upgrade our room to a club room for an additional cost and it was well worth the additonal £20 as you have access to free in house movies and a balcony to the room

On arrival at the hotel the check in was swift and we were advised that on the day we checked in the hotel had just implemented a 25% discount on food and drink to all customers booking this type of package - wish we had known earlier as we had a rather mediocre pub meal before arrival as we had seen that the prices were very high at this location. The food looked great.

We had a swim and then a drink in the bar followed by an early night and a movie - check out was smooth and the bus to the airport ran to time, all the instructions were simple and comprehensive and staff polite and efficient.

The bus on the return journey was also prompt.

The only fly in the ointment was prior to the holiday we decided to book a 'day room' at the hotel for our return to the UK and contacted the hotel direct to book this, several emails and phone calls later the booking was confirmed.

We arrived at the hotel following a 9 hour flight and one hour transfer and booked into our room by 9am - unfortunately in spite of the fact that we had a do not disturb sign on door to our room we were woken up at 12.15 by the housekeeper asking when we were checking out!!!! Why is there no communication to advise housekeeping staff of day let clients if the service is offered, she had a computer print out so it would only be a simple matter to indicate day let rooms on this document.

At check out, at about 2.30pm we only used the room for 5 hrs 30 mins they tried to charge us £20 more than the quoted rate when questioned about this I was told that the rate I was quoted excluded VAT. I had to produce the email confirmation as proof of this rate which was quoted as a VAT inclusive price... I mentioned the 'wake up call' and got a cursory apology.

It should be noted that the car was parked close to the hotel and apart from this single incident which can easily be rectified the whole experience was a positive one and we shall continue to use this hotel and this service when flying from Gatwick.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club rm take yr price confirmation doc
1 Thank veryhappytripper
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for your review following your recent overnight stay and a day room at the end of your holiday, booked through our partner, Holiday Extras. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your overall stay but very sorry to read this was marred by some lapses in communication on our part. It was a shame you were not able to take advantage of our special discounts we are offering to our "park and fly" customers in the restaurant. This discount has only recently been put in place in order to offer guests on check in. We will certainly consult Holiday Extras to ask them to advise guests in advance of this promotion. We were pleased to read you had a good night and easy transfer to the airport. We have communicated to both our Front Office and Housekeeping Department the fact that you were disturbed when sleeping after your long flight. I was very disappointed it was not communicated to Housekeeping that you were not due to check out at noon as would be normal with overnight stays. I am very sorry. I will also copy your comments to the Front Office Manager regarding the VAT. It makes a big difference whether you are quoted inc or ex VAt so I understand your frustration on this point.
May I thank you for such an informative and constructive review which I feel sure will benefit other guests looking for a hotel in the Gatwick area.
I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that we may look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kindest regards
hastings
Reviewed 28 May 2011

we stayed here for 1 night before our flight lovely hotel with great staff we did go for swim before dinner pool small but better than none.
we decided to go for stroll and found pub 5 mins away not pub grub and very expnsive but very nice.
on arrival back to hotel we went to sport bar happy hour yay and a family were eating pie

and mash yum yum wish we had waited(we will next time)
our room was lovely overlooking gardns room a bit dated but so what it was clean and lovely bathroom lovely too
we booked on bus to take us to gatwick very straightforward coming back we missed bus by 5 mins and would have to wait for hour for another so got taxi back this was very expensive £16.50 !!!!!
this is my only moan and not hotels fault but maybe hotel could look at getting a cheaper firm to help out or hotel run taxi cheaper ??????!!!!
car was safe round back of hotel and w will be coming back again

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for your review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found the bus to the airport convenient as well as our on site car parking. We do have a taxi firm we use regularly, I am sorry you were not given their name, they are United Taxis and do a special price for anyone wanting to take a taxi or they miss the bus. We are sorry you did not decide to eat with us, we do provide some nice choices for families and couples going on holiday. May be next time. Of course, we look forward to welcoming you back and hope you have had a lovely holiday.
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2011

As soon as we got to the Copthorne Effingham Hotel we were pleasanty suprised with the beautiful surroundings and the overall look of the hotel itself. Then we checked in with a pretty un-enthusiastic member of staff. We got to our room and it was pretty run down, wallpaper peeling and not what it looked like online. It wasnt a bad base for our stay though. Breakfast wasnt included and I was not prepared to pay £8.99 for it so we went elsewhere and found great places nearby.

The spa facilities were such a let down. Myself and my partner decided to go for a swim in the morning to find the ladies jacuzzi either broken, turned off or being renovated (no signs to say otherwise) and the pool was pretty small. The lady who was teaching a member to swim was very helpful and really the only helpful member of staff at the hotel I came across.

When I got home yesterday I was absolutely shocked to the point of panic to find my bank balance overdrawn by the amount of £333.60 which the Copthorne Effingham decided to hold (without telling me) as a security deposit!!! If I had known this was going to happen I would have had money in there to see me through, instead I am facing bank charges. I am definately taking this further with an email/letter.

BEWARE!!!

Room Tip: Not sure I have any tips.....
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel following your recent stay. I am very sorry that in some ways you found we did not meet your expectations, however, I was glad to read you found the hotel convenient for your stay. I am sorry you were not advised that the jacuzzi in the ladies section of the health club is currently out of order. With regard to the amount of £333.60 being held as an authorisation, this is normal procedure within hotels, once you have checked out the money automatically drops back into your account, this may take a day or so, depending on which bank you are with. If you have faced any bank charges by being overdrawn we would be happy to reimburse these. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you once again for your informative and constructive review.
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!