“I feel I have been mislead with this hotel and the website I booked it through”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

I don't normally stay in hotels unless I have tripadvisored them. This time, as we were flying from Gatwick very early in the morning, I decided to book a hotel nearby. I used the recently advertised hotwire.com. They promise 4 star hotels for the price of a 2 star. They do not show you the name of the hotel until after you have paid. Fair enough. This hotel is being advertised as a 4 star. However, the general state of the facilities, rooms, decor and common areas is appalling. I am not really sure how this hotel has a four star rating when the carpets are tatty, the furniture is chipped, broken and visibly worn out. My husband sat at the bar and the furniture was not only peeling off and chipped but the sofas were sticky, he literally got stuck to the seat. The bar charges over £4 for a pint, which is outrageous as the pub down the road in Copthorne is cheaper and a lot more beautiful and clean. The room was ok enough, the TV signal was wobbly and the bed was rather hard. However, the pillows were amazingly soft. The towels were worn out and dirty. This hotel is big and very near Gatwick airport, the golf course look rather nicely kept. i guess those are the only good things I can think of it: location, golf course and pillows. For the rest, I would really like my money back. This is not a 4 star hotel and the England Tourist Board or the AA really need to recalibrate their ratings. It is incredible that a city like London with some of the most visited paces in the world by tourist, can not manage to offer reasonable accommodation.

Room Tip: Eat out, lovely pubs nearby
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We are very sorry you felt so disappointed with your stay, we have taken on board all your comments and these have been circulated to members of the management team. Please accept our apologies. We have recently been re-assessed by the AA who have confirmed our 4 star rating. We are very sorry you have had cause to write as above and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback.
Yours sincerely,
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Others have said it better than me, this is an aging Queen that's must be avoided.
We stayed one night and found a run down hotel that needs a complete redo. Dirty shower and dirty carpets. Obviously some rooms are OK, we didn't get one.

The Sports Bar drink and food prices were outrageous, 20 pounds with tip for two pints and a sandwich plate.

Last night we stayed at a Premier Inn, much cheaper (29 pounds), way better and was also more convenient for Gatwick Airport.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HolidaysCanada
Thank you for your recent review. We are very sorry you felt so disappointed with your stay, however, we wish to thank you for your constructive and valuable feedback. Your comments have been circulated to our management team, so thank you once again.
Yours sincerely,
harrogate
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

My stay at this hotel even though it was a few short hours was terrible. I asked for an end of corridor room, quiet room and non -smoking all i got was the non-smoking, however the smell in the room made up for the no smoking. The Carpet was thread bare and filthy, i did not dare to walk on without my shoes on, the was no air-con, room and bathroom was filthy, the room was the 2nd room on left after the stairs from reception, the noise from the reception where a group of lads were drinking ( why not keep them in bar ) was horrendous especially at 2.00 am. However i will save the worst till last, there were DRIED BLOOD STAINS ON CARPET NEXT TO MY BED absolutely no excuse for that it is basic cleanliness. I confronted duty manager the next day and showed him the room, he was very apologetic and promised to have the General manager contact me, as yet i havent recieved a call, but im not surprised at all, i booked through Superbreak. com so im hoping they will do something about this.........The hotel when arriving looks the part but in reality it is no better than a boarding house......

Room Tip: dont go there.....................
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Thank you for your recent review following your stay booked via Superbreaks. There is absolutely no excuse for poor standards of cleanliness and may I therefore assure you we have viewed your comments very seriously indeed along with our Head Housekeeper. We are also very sorry you were disturbed by noisy guests in the bar. May we assure you all comments made by our guests are treated very seriously and reviewed by the General Manager, we are naturally very sorry you had such a disappointing stay. Thank you once again for your constructive comments.
Yours sincerely
Ringsted, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

The drive to the hotel is grand and makes you feel you've made a good choice but once you've stepped into reception you feel you've stepped into a giant indian restaurant.

The corridors are a trip back to the 80's and as for the rooms : Artex ceilings, peach bathroom, brass light fittings. You get the feel. But we had the added bonus of a McDonalds bag in our room; some suspicious stains on the ceiling, a sag in the middle bed; nice bit of white painted plywood holding up the bathroom extract fan.

To say the hotel is in need of a refurbishment is an under statement. Apart from the above:
1. No wifi except in reception
2. Breakfast £14!!
3. The shuttle to Gatwick is £4 a person so a family is probably cheaper getting a taxi.

The staff are reasonably polite but unfortunately, are tired and indifferent due the tiredness of the hotel.
Not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations in that you found the accommodation to be outdated. Your comments have been passed to our Property Manager and Head Housekeeper as well as the General Manager. We do have various projects in hand regarding improvements to our product, in fact, only today we are having brand new beds installed in the hotel. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a constructive review.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

We would like to thank all of the staff for another great stay at the Copthorne Effiingham. We had booked the weekend to celebrate my birthday and we received great service and a fantastic room yet again. The food in the restaurant was really delicious and the waiting staff very attentive.

We did have to leave early on the Sunday evening due to my daughter going into labour with our first grandchild and the reception staff were very helpful and understanding.

Now everything is back to normal my wife and I are hoping to return in the very near future to enjoy another relaxing weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting a review following your recent stay with us. We were very pleased to read how much you both enjoyed your stay once again despite having to cut it short owing to the birth of your grandchild. Congratulations from us all at the hotel. Thank you also for your compliments about our staff which will be passed on to all concerned.
We hope to welcome you both back very soon and wish you every happiness while you get to know the new baby.
Kindest regards
Rhodes, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Filthy horrible stinking , stained and threadbare carpet in the dirty and bad smelling room.
The bathroom was horrid and when one put on the light the fan started with such a noise I could not stand it and the smell made me want to throw up. A dead insect in the bathroom.
The bed sheets smelled bad and I had to open the windows in order to get some semblance of freshness in there.
The spa was DISGUSTING. Hot tub....not working, Steam room...not working....No towels, floor of the changing room so dirty I could not put bare feet down, as bad as the bed room.
The breakfast was foul the wall paper where I attempted to sit was stained and in the end I left as early as possible for the airport, which was cleaner than the hotel.
What a horrible dirty place. I would rather sleep on a park bench than EVER pay good money to stay in that over priced english hovel.
Normally I stay in a marriot or chain hotel.....NOW I remember why. I could not wait to leave and the staff were as bad as the place. Could not care less about anyone's complaints.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We were extremely surprised and sorry to read your comments and wish to assure you they have been taken very seriously by the management team. Each point you have raised invidually has been discussed with our Head Housekeeper and Property Manager. While we are aware that some of our rooms are in need of modernisation, however, comments regarding cleanliness are taken very seriously as these can have implications for the health of our guests and staff.
Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.
Yours sincerely
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

hotel very clean, events team superb,
restauraunt staff excellent
Reception, very helpful indeed , Amazing
I asked for an Iron, this was sent to my room in minutes, amazing service
will certainly stay again

DJ Jazzy J x

Room Tip: room 243 nice quiet room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff helpful and friendly. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Kind regards
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,210 reviews
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!