“charming hotel”

Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“charming hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Me and my partner stopped here for one night after our 2week holiday in the maldives . We were very happy with our room.Room service was very quick and the food was good .our car was left here for 2 weeks with no problems at all . we have aready booked to stay here again in december before our trip to cuba .My partner and myself would definately recommend this hotel to our family and friends looking forward to our next stay . Also the reception staff were extremely helpful and spoke good english!!!!

Room Tip: ask at reception on arrival.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tim t
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 7 December 2011
Thank you very much for your recent review on our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to your next stay. Thank you once again.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We needed a Hotel near Gatwick Airport (and in particular the APH airport) before an early morning flight to the Caribbean.

For the price we paid the Hotel did the job. The Hotel was reasonably clean but it was fine for what we needed it for - we were only there a few hours!

We didn't eat at the hotel but at a nice little Bistro restaurant about a 5 minute walk away (turn left out of the Hotel and it's at the roundabout) called The Dukes Head.

Ideal hotel for APH Gatwick and would use again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mercurial1985
Thank you very much for your nice review, we were very glad to read you enjoyed your stay, we are very close to APH parking, so glad you found this convenient. Thank you once again and we look forward to the next time you stay with us.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Hi everyone, we stayed in the Copthorne Hotel Effingham in Oct 2011 for one night before we went to Gatwick to fly to Mexico.
Lets start with the check in staff - it was a case of the blind leading the blind,they had no idea what to do,and could hardly understand english - great start.
We went for the option of seven nights parking for our car,so we asked at check in if we could park anywhere,they said yes so we parked out in the open where it was well lit and close to the shuttle bus stop so we didnt have to carry our cases too far - as i walk with a stick.
so parked car and then checked in, handed them our car keys and went up to our room,the hotel itself is dated,it looks like something out of a Hammer Horror film with the room being very old looking and to make things worse there was a party going on in the conference hall which is fine but you could hear everything from the otherside of the hotel so we could not get any sleep as it was BOOM,BOOM,BOOM SHAKE THE ROOM all night long.
After a fantastic holiday in Mexico we came back to find our car had been moved? even when they said it wouldn't be, so now we have to carry our cases up to the check in desk only to find out the car was now on the far side of the hotel grounds.
So to sum it all up Great location with it being only 15 mins to Gatwick but the hotel and staff need updating, sorry but we wont be going back again.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the conference hall as you can
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BIGWORLD1978
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for your disturbed night, we always try to put guests who are not attending a function as far away from the function room as possible. I am also very sorry your car was moved, this must have been necessary to make space, however, it should have been brought back to the front of the hotel in time for your return. I am very sorry this did not happen. I hope you had a lovely holiday and thank you once again for your review.
Warwickshire
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was going to the USA via Gatwick, so wanted a nice stopover and parking for the duration. I used to stay at Copthorne's many years ago so thought the quality would be good but alas I was wrong.
The problems started with checkin. I had called a few weeks previous to confirm my booking as I had purchased a voucher by EBAY and reserved an additional room, giving my credit card to confirm the booking. On arrival my bookings had been cancelled and the staff were totally unhelpful. They seemed overwhelmed with a function that was going on and could not cope.

The scene was totally embarassing and ruined the start of my holiday as I needed to get angry for the staff to sort the issue out. The member of staff apologised the next morning but a "sour taste" was left. We all make mistakes and I should have had all my paperwork but it is how simple the issues are dealt with.

The standard of the rooms were no better and the ones we stayed in need refurbishing. There was what looked like mould/mildew around the bath taps, a gap in the grouting around the soap dish, I could get my fingers in and dead flies in the lights. ( see my photo's) I think my room numbers were 328 & 236.

I was also advised the courtesy bus to the Airport would cost £4.25 each (one way) at a total of £25.50 for six, when a taxi only costs £10 ? ( To be fair the website does state on one page £4.00 and another £4.25 but this was not visible when I booked). I got a Taxi on the return journey.

I was so disappointed and will not stop at this hotel again and will put Copthorne Millenium hotels the bottom of my list of hotels to select.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Skyblueeagle
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us with your family. We are very sorry about the confusion you experienced over your booking. Please accept our apologies, also that you should have been advised a taxi might be a more economical way of travelling to the airport, we apologise for this oversight. We are very sorry you were so disappointed with your overall experience and wish to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention.
London
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here for one Saturday night in October as part of a friend's wedding party. The room was dated in terms of decor and facilities, as was the bathroom. Cooked buffet breakfast served in the morning - not the best I've had. Can't really complain since I paid a discounted rate that was reasonable for the service provided but I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate your comments and hope you will return to the hotel in the future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Wow after reading so many negative reviews.. I was worried. But hey you can't beat the value for money here! The rooms may be a little dated but they are clean and spacious. Food good value for money. Beds comfortable... Great pillows .. Parking at the hotel not a problem and transfer to gatwick airport 15 mins at 8 am! Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you very much for your review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and felt we offered good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back next time.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The rooms were so old, felt like something out of a horror movie! Hotel in a perfect location for gatwick airport so cant complain about that. Check in staff didnt seem to know what was going on. We were with a group of 3 other families and we had the worst room, felt like we were in the dungeons. Not nice.

Room Tip: choose a nice hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank leanne s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,238 reviews
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!