“Never again”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I booked this through lastminute.com as a 'secret hotel' as a stopover for an early flight from Gatwick. The description was excellent and I was looking forward to a few hours of luxury. My room smelt of damp and mildew, and was so outdated I thought I was in a 70's TV drama. The cushions on the bed smelt of other peoples' scalps ... there was a hair in the bathroom sink and what looked suspiciously like pee on the lavatory seat. I tried to call for room service , but they didn't pick up , so I ordered through reception. I had a Thai Chicken curry, which for £11.50 and £2.00 to carry it to my room was a huge disappointment. It looked and tasted like hospital food.
I couldn't sleep for the smell in the room and the experience of smelling other peoples body oils on the decorative cushions. Simply awful. requires fumigation and bringing into the 21st Centurt.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen F
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed here a few times business stopover.
Decor needs an upgrade but is clean
Restaurant food is average and overpriced much better option is the Sports Bar downstairs or Dukes Head pub 5 mins down the road that do great food
Nice 9 hole golf course in the grounds which you can use and gym and pool which is great to occupy time when on your own.
Best bit of hotel is all staff I have met with are courteous and very helpful

Room Tip: Bigger rooms are on top floor not worth paying extra for but if they have one free can probably get...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I don't generally have particularly high expectations when looking for a hotel. I just look for clean, comfortable rooms and sevice with a smile. Unfortunately the copthorne had none of the above. The rooms were decorated in a similar fashion to my gran's spare room. The carpet was worn through to the bedding, the cabinets were broken with no doors, and the bathroom was dirty and in disrepair. The one redeeming feature was that there was a pool... but it was closed for maintenance.
The food in the main restaurant is on the expensive side so we chose to eat in the sports bar. The food there was a bit cheaper and was ok. There is really nothing to shout about with this hotel. The grounds it is set in look beautiful but are no consellation for the other failings.
I didn't mind staying for the one night. We were due to fly out from Gatwick at 6am (which isn't very close compared to other hotels in the area) and I really wouldn't wish to stay any longer.

I don't like writing a negative review but I would suggest trying somewhere else. There are a whole range of far superior hotels closer to the airport for a similar price.

• Stayed: May 2012
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for your constructive review following your recent stay with us.      We are very sorry you felt disappointed with your overall stay in relation to your accommodation and the choice of food provided, also we are very sorry our pool is currently out of order.     May we thank you, however, for taking the time to write a review for the information of other hotel users and travellers.Thank you once againKind regardsGuest Relations Manager

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Me and my wife booked this hotel for one night stay with breakfast included and car parking for 2 weeks.when we arrived in the hotel , we had to wait for 10 minutes to check in there was only one girl trying to check in about 7 people In the que. after the check in we went to have a drink in the lounge bar , the bar staff (Jodie) were very friendly and helpfull ,after we booked a table in the restaurant for 07.30pm. When we arrived , the manager took us to the table and presented us with the menus , shortly after we placed our order with one of the waiters. We had a very good meal including great service . After the dinner we went to the sports bar and asked the waiter for suggestion on cocktails. He prepare 2 Bellini ,very happy with the taste and the presentation .The room was very spacious and with view of the golf course.a bit tired on decor but good other wise. We are definitely going to recommend to our family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review and your complimentary comments regarding your stay.     We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend our hotel to friends and family.       We hope to welcome you back very soon.Kindest regardsGuest Relations Manager

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We booked this hotel as an overnight stopover before catching our flight the next morning and received special rates. We eventually reached the Copthorne after attempting to book in at its sister hotel of the same name, which was nearby. So, make sure that stop at the correct branch, as many people make this mistake.

All members of staff at the hotel were very polite and friendly and our room was large, clean and tastefully decorated, with the usual amenities. The main building was also well maintained and clean. However, it was not possible to turn the radiator on in the rather clod bathroom.

The hotel has a restaurant, but we decide to dine in the bar, which was un-crowded and roomy. We were served by very pleasant staff, however they kept disappearing to an area behind the bar leaving customers waiting to be served. The food was rather expensive and very basic and the beer was cold and gassy (no draft real ale).

Not wishing to present an misleading review by highlighting the negatives, we would stay at this hotel again as the positives outweighed the negatives.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent review - we were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and felt we offered good value for money. All comments are viewed and reviewed by our management team, so thank you once again for taking the time to post a review.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Well first of all I must say we only paid about £50 including Breakfast and having read previous reviews knew what to expect.

On check in about 7:30pm in the evening they admitted they hadn't put the cot in our room that had been requested...annoying as our daughter was already asleep in the car. They did sort it quickly though. We noticed a big function in the conference centre and realised it was actually a Fight Night (Boxing) thankfully our room was at the opposite end of the hotel.

I went and checked the room first expecting the worst but was pleasantly supprised. Now don't get me wrong this hotel is in need of a full refurb, the corridors are taty and carpets almost threadbare, the rooms are the almost the same, but it was spotlessly clean and fully functioning.

Now we had a lot of bags, no offers of any help from staff, thankfully I found a trolley otherwise it would have been 4 very long trips!

Then i tried to park the car, not a space in the whole carpark drove round it twice...parked by the door again and explained to male receptionist that I wasn't happy to leave it there as it was right by the door where 100s of drunk people would come out of later. He was less than helpful asking if I had checked the whole carpark, and said it should be fine - I wasn't convinced! Finally the female receptionist overheard me and offered me her parking space and she would move hers, a kind offer which I accepted.

Reasonable bed in room, but very warm in the hotel even without the radiator on. Then we were woken at 12:45am by the very noisy boxing fans leaving. This needed to be better managed. Thankfully we didn't have an early morning flight!

Breakfast was edible but nothing to write home about. Checkout painless again with no offer of help from anyone until the HotelS General Manager saw our bags and kindly offered assistance. Maybe he should try and rub some of his good manners and customer service onto his staff!

All in all reasonable and would stay again if I needed something in the area...I would check what functions were on though, my wife certainly said she felt a bit on edge when she saw what was going on.

Room Tip: Away from conference centre just in case, higher room numbers are further away. Probably would have...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your informative review following your recent stay with us. We always do our utmost to ensure hotel guests who are not attending a function are located in a room as far as possible away from our function room. We do occasionally hold Boxing Nights, please be assured these events are well controlled and governed by a security company and hotel guests may be assured of their entire safety. Naturally, when a large event is taking place our car park is very busy, however, we were glad you were assisted by a member of staff. Thank you for pointing out areas of the hotel which are in need of updating. We are aware that our corridors and some bedrooms are in need of modernisation and wish to assure you this matter is being addressed.
May we thank you once again for your constructive and honest comments which will only benefit future travellers.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed here for one night in April before our 9am flight from Gatwick. Our check in was smooth and the receptionist was very friendly. Our room was spacious, comfortable and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and both myself and my husband had a good nights sleep here - it was very peaceful. The view from our room was also a bonus. We had a meal in the Sports Bar which was simple but nice all the same. Check out the next morning was quick and easy. The Shuttle Bus from the Hotel to the Airport was on time, efficient and much cheaper than a taxi. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for the airport. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!