“Fabulous hotel and room”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
UK
“Fabulous hotel and room”
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We booked a family room and parking for 15 days very good price and we had stayed before many years ago. Our room and bathroom was massive and that is not an exaggeration check in was smooth ate at the sports bar then had early night for early flight check out smooth too we needed 18 days parking and they said we didn't have to pay extra and we took our keys with us. Don't understand the bad reviews we found it clean and all very good

• Stayed May 2013
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very glad to read how much you and your family enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Best wishes
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Booked into the copthorpe as a good start to our two week break to Florida . The rate for the room also included car parking for the two weeks we were away which drew us .
What a mistake ! We checked in with our 5 year old and our friends and there two children .
This simple process took three quarters of an hour even though there were two people on reception .
The room was ok but very dated and shabby with cup marks on all the furniture ,some sockets were loose and the bedding was a bit worn.
We went to the sports bar which is in the basement with no windows which is a bit of a downer .
Tiredness and broken things are also present here , the bar toilets show lots of ware with broken sistern handles and dripping taps.
The breakfasts in the morning was the best thing of the one night stay .
And this was only a standard hotel breakfast which goes to show what sort of hotel this is .
Most of the under staff are helpful.
After travelling for 18 hours we had to do the simple thing of picking up our keys packing our bags into the car and getting home.
Fat chance of that, our friends got to reception first to be serve by a very nice young lady with the name badge of trainee.
On asking for the keys for our car she produced an old paint tub from under the desk full of keys.
Talk about being shocked this was there system for storing your car .
Our friends found there key right away but ours was nowhere to be found.
There was a gentleman at the desk who had been waiting 20 minutes for them to find his keys.
After about 10 minutes of looking the young lady called another young man to look for our keys.
He went into another room which we could see and opened another cupboard full of keys and started to go through these one by one looking for our keys.
We went back to reception to ask the young lady to find someone to help the young man look for our keys.
She proceeded to help look leaving reception.
This then got a queue of people waiting to check out ect.
I was getting even more irate ,this has now been 20 minutes looking for our keys.
I asked to see a manger.
The manger came out and I started to get a bit irate at what was going on but he seemed like he didn't care no sorry for the delaying ,no why don't you have a complimentary breakfast or a coffee why we find your keys ,just were looking for your keys
After about 3/4 of an hour to our relief they found our keys.
I was still mad and all we got was a half hearted sorry and a look from the manger of why did you bother me with this rubbish.
I for one will never us a copthorpe again .
If you want shabby without the shique and not a great customer service then use the copthorpe effingham.

2 Thank Mlaga
Thank you for your recent review. We are very sorry our standards of accommodation and facilities did not meet your expectations and that you had an unacceptable wait while we looked for your car keys. Please be assured we do have a secure system in place for storing guest car keys within our reception area. We have asked our Front Office Manager for an explanation. We are very sorry and concerned about your comments. Thank you once again for notifying us and for taking the time to write a review.
Yours sincerely
Wales
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed here for one night with car parking for 2 weeks as we were flying from Gatwick Airport. Our room was quiet, a bit dated but clean with a large comfortable bed.We paid extra for a breakfast which was nice. For what we paid for 1 night and 2 weeks car parking I found it to be good and would stay there in the future. The car parking was easy and hassle free, the reception ordered us a taxi and provided details on what to do when we needed a taxi back to hotel to pick up car.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time.
Kindest regards
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Very disappointed by the hotel. I stayed here one night before a flight to Barcelona and the only good thing was the food.
The check in was a disaster, the staff at the front desk were unhelpful and quite rude. I was told the shuttle bus was in the cost of our room but then was asked to pay extra and then asked for our return date but failed to tell us we were only paying for a one way trip so when we returned to the shuttle bus on the way back he was hesitant to let us on because neither of us had money on us but we were under the impression I had paid for a return ticket.
The bathroom was a mess, the tiles were coming off, the wood was rotten and parts were actually missing.
We left the car with them and were told to remember where we had left the car which didn't matter any way as they forgot to inform us that they might actually move the car (which they did to somewhere that was a long walk off in the pitch black darkness with no lighting whatsoever) not only this, they put it in the tightest gap possible which barely a child could fit in and it took a long time for the driver to actually get into the car. When inside, the seats had been moved which for a 1/2 minute drive is unecessary, the mirrors had been moved completely and actual settings inside the car had been changed and there is no need to even touch the settings let alone change them. We found the car parked under a tree which had left it filthy too. We would be less angry about this, however the fact they had not informed us they would do this, it was just the tip of the iceberg.
Not to mention, I was in the lift alone and the lift stuck and the doors would not open and I was in there for a little while before it started to move again, I'd called the alarm but nothing happened then once I was out I mentioned it to the front desk who didn't seem bothered at all.
I would not stay here again and I would not recommend it for anything more than a meal.
I'm not usually negative and I do feel a bit guilty about saying this but it's not good enough and it's not deserving for 4*s.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for your recent review, our apologies for the delay in responding. We are extremely sorry so many areas of your stay were so poor. We are extremely sorry you were stuck in the lift and seemingly received poor service from our staff. We do normally move cars to our rear car park, your comments have been passed on to all the managers concerned. I can see your experience was very poor, we will be contacting you and hopefully speak to you soon on the telephone.
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed at the hotel before going on holiday. I also left my car for the duration of my holiday. The car parking was very easy you drop your keys and get the shuttle bus or a taxi which the hotel staff will book for you. When we checked in a lovely lady at reception told us about the hotel facilities. The same lady gave us our car keys when we returned she asked us if we had a nice holiday which I thought was lovely (I did ask for her name but cannot remember she was wearing a trainee badge). I would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like a relaxing stay before their holiday.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very glad to read you enjoyed your stay and that you would return to us in the future. Hoping you had a wonderful holiday.
Best wishes
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Recently stayed at Effingham for a one night airport stop over. Second time. Does the job. It is a dated hotel but perfectly comfortable and great value, via FHR, including parking! We ate in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Little expensive but rib eye steak was good. My only niggle is that the restaurant is open to the hotel lobby and front doors. They constantly open and, if there is a function, in the conference suite, you get frequent wafts of smoke, from the smokers standing outside the door. The shuttle is only once an hour, so we got a taxi in the morning, to give us an extra half hour's sleep. Taxi was £12. Shuttled back, as our return flight and baggage re-claim coincided with a return shuttle. £4.50 each and takes about 30 minutes, stopping at another hotel first before the Effingham. The hotel timetable and route number for the shuttle has been updated but the signs at the airport are wrong! I would keep the timetable and details provided by the hotel with you. We will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: This is sometimes a Mystery hotel on FHR. You can pay less than £60 for the night and the parking. W...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review. We were very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be convenient for the airport and the facilities we provide. We hope you had a most enjoyable holiday and that we may look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

4*!!??

Check in - delayed!
Carpets - bare to the thread!
Ceilings - cracked plaster!
On Check Out - when I wanted to voice my complaints, the manager kept me hanging for 15 minutes!! So I just checked out.

Writing the above .... Is making me laugh!

Regards

Raj

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. I believe we have been in touch with you separately in order to respond to your complaints. I hope you have been satisfied with our response.
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!