“Beautiful Grounds. Lovely Hotel. Definitely Not A Four Star Though.”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
London
“Beautiful Grounds. Lovely Hotel. Definitely Not A Four Star Though.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Copthorne Hotel Effingham on the 8th August 2014. We stayed for one night and really enjoyed it.

We were offered an upgrade from a standard to superior room. It was Room 315 which was in our opinion a bit of a good result. We had a comfy bed, the room was clean and we had a lovely balcony outside with table and chairs offering a picturesque view over the gorgeous Surrey countryside and the well kept grounds of the hotel. We were more than pleased with the room.

The hotel itself is quite grand and the lounge and reception area simply lovely with a big cascading chandelier and a relaxed "ambience". We felt a bit out of our league as we aren't really a posh couple..but we got used to it. The restaurant and the breakfast was superb with a well stocked full English buffet...you definitely won't go hungry at breakfast time and the quality of the food was top class.

Now a couple of niggles crept into our stay so I will have to tell the truth. On arrival I was thrust a form to fill in, at first I thought it was just a standard form but grew suspicious as soon as it started asking for my email, personal mobile number and other personal information..it was a reward card application form. I politely refused to fill it in. That really is unacceptable and dishonest behaviour trying to dupe people into giving out all their personal info. The receptionist was lovely and it wasn't her fault as I suspect she was told by management to do this. So if they tell you to fill any forms in always DOUBLE CHECK what you're signing!!!

The room did not have some of the facilities you come to expect as standard to a four star rated hotel..namely no air conditioning and no fridge. It was a very muggy hot night when we stayed and we missed having somewhere to keep our water cold and we were very hot in the room overnight.

Now I would have given the hotel a five star rating apart from these two things. But the staff were really nice to us, the room was great and our stay overall was lovely.

Room Tip: Room with balcony was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your review and your nice words regarding your stay, we were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed our surroundings and the services provided. You must have been given one of our Loyalty Programme application forms, we are very sorry if this was not explained to you. We are also sorry about the lack of air con in our bedrooms, unfortunately, when the hotel was built air conditioning did not seem to be a priority in those days and it would now be a huge project for us to install now. At least the windows can be opened and we provide fans for guests. Hoping you had a lovely holiday and that we may look forward to welcoming you back next time.
With best wishes
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Taormina
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

If you just want the car parking facility then this is ok. We stayed the night before our flight. Room was scruffy and the TV didn't work (not unusual according to other reviews) drinks are priced as a 4 star hotel but the whole experience was very 2 star. The transfer was good and spot on time. The day we were returning we decided to book a room as it was going to be late and didn't fancy driving back tired. We arrived about 1am. Check in was ok but the receptionist was very surly. We asked about food and drinks and were told sandwiches and soft drinks only. We would have order from our room. We called the number which was answered eventually. We placed an order and waited. And waited. And waited! I went to reception and was told the food was being prepared. This was after about 45 mins. I decided to wait there. Whilst I waited the same surly receptionist was shouting at what I presume was a customer who had the cheek to request some service. You'll have to wait he was told. "I'm busy looking after all the people" I looked round and there was only me and one other person. Eventually the receptionist said "your food is in the room". I return to find it just being delivered over an hour after it was ordered. Room again scruffy and bathroom was filthy. If you dare have a bath or shower you'll need to wash your feet again after walking on the filthy tiles. The place needs a good shake up. 2 star on its best day. Don't think there's many of those.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SimonAngie2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am very sorry you felt so disappointed with the standards provided in the hotel. Please be assured your comments regarding the Front Office staff and the housekeeping standards have been addressed. I am sorry you have felt mislead regarding our refurbishment plans, these are still
planned, it is unfortunate they have just been slightly delayed. I do hope you will consider returning to us in the future.
Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked here as we have previously stayed here before and this time was such a disappointing experience I feel we completely wasted our money. We booked to stay here the night before we flew from Gatwick. Again room size was lovely and we had a small balcony. .. BUT. . When putting our children into bed there was sand on the bottom sheet and I can guarantee that it wasn't from us!! As it was so late at night by that time the 4 of us slept on the two single beds. Where are room was located, next door to us must have been a generator or something as every 15 minutes throughout the night i heard a knocking/banging noise which is very frustrating. By the time my alarm went off I had 2 hours sleep!! Our taxi was waiting for us ready to take us to the airport. On return to the UK we waited over 1hour to be picked up despite phoning 5times to be told 'yes, on our way'. On return to the hotel to collect my car it became apparent that my battery had become completely flat, I will say the help I recieved with the receptionist getting someone to help was great. Thankyou. So for £135 for 2 hours sleep and a lot of stress before our holiday I wish we hadn't bothered.
I have previously wrote a review on here before which is very positive and showed I was looking forward to this booking. . But I will not book here again! Such a let down

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review. I am very sorry you felt so let down by your stay. We really cannot understand how you found sand in your bed, all our bedlinen is changed, our housekeepers would have come to you and made the bed again, we are very sorry about this. Also that you had a disturbed night owing to noise, once again our apologies. We do not offer a shuttle bus service currently, our taxi service who collect from the airport are usually very prompt and reasonably priced, once again our apologies for this and then to have the worry of your flat battery, I am glad we were able to help. We do hope you will reconsider and will return to us in the future. Hoping you had a lovely holiday.
Best regards
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here to use the park and ride facility to take the stress out of getting to Gatwick airport on time. We booked a private transfer which would of cost £11 but it never arrived. We stood outside with many other guests and it was a free for all if any transport did arrive as everyone was late for flights. We ended calling another company and paid more but at least made our flight just!!
The hotel is tired and in need of updating. I ordered a chicken burger and it was raw when it arrived. Also the hotel is noisy.
On our return we waited 30 minutes for a pick up.
I also was not comfortable leaving my car keys and when we arrived back they had moved my car from the space I had left it, not sure why. Just don't go is my advice, there are many other places offering the same but who actually provide a good service so why risk it?

Room Tip: Another hotel!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neil C
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. We are very sorry your transfers to and from the airport did not go well. I am sorry you had to wait for your pick up. We offer guests a taxi service from airport back to hotel, and usually it is very prompt and reasonably priced. We do not currently offer a shuttle bus service for the return journey. I am very sorry you felt disappointed with your hotel stay. With regard to car parking we ask guests to leave their keys with us so we have the flexibility to move the car if required, it would only be moved to our long stay car park at the rear of the building, the car does not go off site.
Thank you once again for taking the time to post your feedback.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night before an early flight from Gatwick. We purchased the deal as a secret hotel with holiday extras, which stated a 4 star hotel with parking and an evening meal. On arrival the reception staff were helpful and offered us an upgrade for a small charge, once we saw the first room we took the upgrade. Both room were very dated and had thread bare carpets which could be dangerous, even along the hall ways the carpets were held together with silver tape.
The saving grace was the evening meal a set menu for 3 courses £19.95 which was delicious. The service in the restaurant was good.
Not a 4 star hotel

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us as a mystery hotel. We are very sorry you felt disappointed with the standard of your room, however, we were naturally very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your meal. We hope you have had a most enjoyable holiday and wish to thank you once again for your review.
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I spent 2 nights here attending a wedding. As per other reviewer's comments the hotel is dated but not a problem, it's clean and reasonably spacious. The sound proof is non existence, could hear each and every single person walking down the corridor, every word they said and the most noisiest was the banging noises of the room doors. Also, it is very close to Garwick so I could hear planes landing and taking off until gone 1am.
Breakfast was horrifying, a few very thin slices of fresh water melon and pineapple which were only replacing by literally several slices every time they ran out. The worst were the tinned clementines in syrup, they were moudly. Scramble egg was sponge like. I didn't pay a second visit to the breakfast after another night stay.
Also, unless you are a golfer (there is a golf course in the hotel), there is no where you can walk around in this premises nor the surrounding area.
It is worth to stay for a park and stay deal in the convenience of Gatwick Airport, or else I cannot possilbly think a reason to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We are very sorry you found certain areas of your stay were disappointing and did not meet your expectations. Please be assured we have carefully examined your comments. I am sorry you could not find anywhere to walk, we do have some areas at the back of the hotel which lead to the putting and bowling green, otherwise we are surrounded by our 9 hole golf course. Some guests enjoy a walk down West Park Road, this can be quite busy but there is a proper pavement to walk on. Most guests advise that they do not hear the aircraft, we are located 6 miles from the airport itself and we are south of the runway. May we thank you once again for your constructive comments. We are glad you found us convenient for the airport and provision of car parking while you were on holiday.
Kindest regards
North Wales
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before and after holiday at end of May. The first night and parking were only £65, as secret hotel offer. Having seen the Watchdog programme on Gatwick valet parking,,we were relieved that the car would stay there.

There are some bad reviews, reflecting the fact that the place is dated. However, it was immaculately clean and when we had trouble with the heating, an oil-filled radiator was brought to us. We had a good evening meal from the set menu at £17.95.

On our return, we asked to take the breakfast offer. However, the receptionist suggested an up-graded room for £30, which gave us free breakfasts and a free drink with evening meal, as well as the lovely room, with its king size bed.

The only drawback to the hotel is the 20 minutes it takes to the airport, but again there is a shuttle, only hourly in the morning, then a taxi in the evening. £9 per couple each way.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel offered good value and nice surroundings. We are so glad you enjoyed your upgraded room. Yes, any cars which are left with us for the duration of a holiday are parked in our long stay car park within the hotel grounds. Hopefully, you have had a lovely holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back again next time.
Best wishes
Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!