Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
US$101
US$124
  • Free Internet
1,546 results
All reviewsflying from gatwickbit datedtaxi serviceovernight stayexcellent value for money
Reviewed 4 December 2010

On arrival I was greeted by a Gentlemen receoptionist who was clearly under pressure. It is worth pointing out that this stay was during the time when Gatwick was closed due to the very heavy snow.
Being there on business, it was essential to me to have internet access, when I got yo my room, altough there were intructions, keyboards etc I was told that there was no internet access unless I upgraded to a Club Room.... extra £20. This I did as you also get free movies and it was a very nice room c/w 4 poster bed and Jacuzzi Bath(which didn't work).
After the snow continued I rang reception in the morning to explain that would need an extra night, no problem, but the room rate had TREBLED !
I experienced constant problems with communications, internet and TV and reception never answer, so I had to keep walking down from the 3rd floor to try and solve the issue. I was told on 3 occasions that they would get someone to my room .... no one ever came !
All in all I feel I was ripped on due to the weather conditions and the staff were very disappointing, apart for a Souith African guy on the catering side who actually seemed to care.

I would never return here on business as this is clearly not their market.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

Thank you very much for posting a review on our hotel following your recent stay with us during the snow. We are very sorry you experienced problems with the TV and Internet access and we do recognise what an important area this is for business travellers. Unfortunately, we have recently experienced some problems which we are currently working on. We were very glad to read that you found your room comfortable. We do endeavour to cater for different markets including business travel, conferences and events and airport related business. Although we are extremely sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, we do hope you may consider returning to us in the future.

Reviewed 22 November 2010

Left the car here for two weeks and stayed overnight on our return after a long flight, Check in was quick and efficient both on dropping the car off and checking in on return. Car was perfectly ok in the car park for two weeks. Public areas of hotel are very clean and smart looking, The room was warm and comfortable but a little dated and tired, The standard of cleanliness could be better, Big cobwebs above the bed and in the bathroom (room 227) corridors and paintwork very chipped and worn looking, But it was great value and the breakfast was very good. would definatley use this hotel again based on value for money, Just sharpen up the cleanliness.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and found our parking package good value for money, also that you enjoyed breakfast. We have spoken to our Head Housekeeper regarding cleanliness and have already asked her to do a thorough check of the room you occupied. We do hope you will return to us again in the future. Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed 17 November 2010

I lucked out by staying at the Copthorne Effingham when I travelled via Gatwick to Europe. I chose mystery hotel on the Airparks website as I was hoping to find a value but comfortable hotel near the airport where I could leave my car for 2 weeks.

The Cop Eff was my mystery hotel. It only cost me £80 to park for 2 weeks in their huge and well lit car park (very close to reception so very safe). And I also got an overnight stay in a large double room, with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!

There was an airport shuttle that began running at 5am... thank goodness because that was the time I needed it. It cost £4.00 each way and ran every hour or so. Timetable for return travel posted at Gatwick Airport.

The reception service was friendly, and the room was very comfortable. I was actually pleased by the combination of comfort, price and access to the airport. Not sure how much it would have cost for the same room and parking if I'd gone direct. But through AirParks I was surprised by what I could get for my money.

Would definitely stay again... next time I might try the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2010

Thank you very much for posting a review on our hotel following your recent stay with car parking included. We were very pleased to read that you felt we offered good value for money and offer a convenient shuttle bus service to and from the airport. We hope you have had a most enjoyable holiday and that we may look forward to welcoming you back soon, by all means, come and try the restaurant , we feel sure you will enjoy it.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

Where do I start!? Just come back from this hotel after a 2 night stay. My partner and I wanted a nice relaxing break , a treat before the arrival of our baby. I saw it advertised a 'spa' so thought this would be the perfect treat and being 4 star we were expecting it to be lovely.
On arrival it looked great but when inside it was a completely different story. We were offered an 'upgrade' for an extra £10 a night which included a larger room , kingsize bed, free internet and movies which seemed like a good deal. We went up to the third floor and noticed it was very untidy and in serious need of some maintenance, chipped paint, broken signs ,very old decor. Our room looked like it had not been changed for the past 30 years, we had a jurassic looking tele and the furniture was wobbly(the chair) and table big stains on it. We put the tele on and it wouldnt work and we had to 'reboot' it every time we wanted to watch it, which required calling down to reception EVERY time( at one point we were left waiting for 10 minutes for anyone to answer phone - very annoying when you are in the middle of watching a film) In all we called down 7 times over 2 evenings. Internet was rubbish and cut off every 5 minutes even after having a member of staff apparently'sorting it out' .
Next I went to have a relaxing bath to find black all round the side of the bath and inbetween tiles, dried soap on soap dish (not been cleaned ) then just to add the icing on the cake a PUBE on the towel that was hanging up and the bath mat had a brown stain on ( faeces , i dont know it could be anything in this hotel!)
Next the spa was not in working order and all covered over and there was thick black dirt and hair on the floor in the ladies changing area, i thought this was a one off but unfortunately the next day it was the same.Disgusting! When you finally get in the pool there was only one little area to swim in which was roped off as there were children having swimming lessons.
I would like to add that my partner spoke to the manager and was told he would 'sort something out for us' , but he never got back to us. Also I have took pictures of everything as If the manager can not be bothered to listen to us maybe we need to go to someone a bit higher.
Also the 2 mornings we requested papers, at half 9 they had not turned up on one day so we cancelled and next day they sent the wrong papers so they couldnt even follow a simple request.
Dissapointed and upset my break was ruined and my last so called relaxing break!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you once again for posting a review following your recent stay. We appreciate your stay fell far below your expectations and we have addressed all the issues you raised, in particular relating to cleanliness and the problems you experienced with your TV and Internet. We have also held a meeting with our Leisure Club Manager regarding the standards you experienced. We are currently working closely with our project department in order to address the shortfall in standards you experienced in the room itself. As we have written to you separately we do hope you feel we have handled your complaints in a professional manner and that all the matters you raised have been treated very seriously. We do hope you will consider returning to us in the future.

Reviewed 7 November 2010

we stayed here for our firends wedding and arrived early to be told our room was not ready - which was fairenough we new the check in wasnt until 2pm. So we left our bags in the car - no offer to store our bags anywhere and went to the wedding.
We came back at around 2pm only to be told now that we didnt have a reservation altough we have the confirmation letter with our date of stay and confirmation numer. The recetionist was very rude and abrupt and not given us any explanation of why our reservation was not in place. He only left us standing at reception waiting while he was on the phone. after he came off the phone he said - ok your room is ready - i asked why our reservation wasnt in place he said its ok we have a room - which didnt really answer my question. the receptionist took a copy of our confirmation letter and photocopied it and sent us down to our room.
We were offered no help with lugguge even though staff could see us struggling and we had to find our own way to our room as directions were not given

We got down to our room - nice big bed good tv with plenty of channels - thats were the good thing end.
Windows were dirty with smears down them, furniture was worn and in need of replacing, my partner found pubic hairs in the bathroom.
Curtains and carpets were tatty and in neede of replacing.

Breakfast in the morning was good with a good selection of foods.

Check was quick - but was not aksed if we had enjoyed our stay!

Also one last thing - you cannot get any phone signal in this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the delay in accessing your room, and we are very sorry you felt the receptionist was unhelpful and could not locate your reservation. Thank you also for your comments regarding your accommodation which have been noted, in particular regarding the standards of cleanliness in your bedroom. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast selection and do hope you will consider returning to us in the future.