Hilton London Gatwick south terminal
US$96
Agoda.com
  • Free Internet
8,313 results
All reviewsgarden restaurantthe executive loungesouth terminalnew wingdeluxe rooman early flightsports barcar parknext morningairport hotelcovered walkwayunder coverfamily roomcosta coffeestayed for one nightan overnight staygood nights sleep
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Oh dear. Yes it's the closest hotel to the terminal and this is very useful. I suppose that this means Hilton do not have to try as this alone will guarantee them a certain amount of trade.Bad impression from the beginning, the entrance is reminiscent of that to an old multi storey car park and upon entering I was immediately greeted with closed notices on barred doors and a really quite shabby appearance. Check in was fine and the room was clean if dated, especially the bathroom, which did not look as if it had ever been updated or changed, although one bad thing is the sink would not drain.
Everything was just a little worn and dated, I took a walk down the corridor and the roof was all damaged and falling apart as if there had been a water leak that had never been fixed, in the stairways housekeeping or maintenance had left ladders and tools just hanging around as if they just stopped half way through a job and left.
The bar service was a little lacking in food and the service a bit slow. Worst of all the restaurants! One self service buffet that was very uninspiring and out of place in an allegedly 4* hotel and the most expensive restaurant I have ever seen at an airport hotel in the lobby. £30 for a steak! At a hotel like this ridiculous.
I'd sum it up in one phrase: If this hotel was not attached to the airport you would not stay here. Come on Hilton do better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton London Gatwick south terminal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear matthow,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your thoughts and experiences.

I am delighted to confirm that the new electronic main doors are being installed 6th September.

Thank you for your comments and feedback.

Guy Hilton

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival there was a very big queue go check in which took around 30 mins. This is unacceptable and really they should know how many people are arriving and be prepared for this. Once we checked in we went to our room which was actually very nice- we paid extra for a deluxe room and it was lovely. The only strange thing was the lamp kept going on and off, two lights didn't work and the tv kept changing channels- very odd electrics! We ordered room service which ended up taking 1 hour 20 mins when we were told it would be 30 mins. Luckily the hotel gave this to us for free. It was only two sandwiches and some chips! Overall great location but would not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear kirstyt113,

Thank you for your post.

Please accept my apologies for any delay at check in: unfortunately with 821 rooms, we cannot legislate for arrival times or how many guests would arrive at the same time.

I was concerned and sorry to read of the wait time for room service: this is extremely unusual however I was pleased to read that my team made efforts to make it right by not charging for the items ordered.

Thank you again for your time.

Guy Hilton

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We recently holidayed in Mykonos flying from Gatwick airport, so the night before our outbound and the night of our return flight we stayed at this hotel.

Outbound night (08/08/14): Check-in was a bit slow. You would not believe this was a hotel equipped for a high throughput airport like Gatwick. Bar staff table service was slow and a bit chaotic, the time it took to get a simple cup of tea was too long. They had no idea what pastries were available and kept having to go back and check. The restaurant "Amy's" was however wonderful, there was this amazing Greek waiter called Spiros who could have probably done a better job at running the entire bar and restaurant facilities there - he was really friendly, very professional, and when he heard we were flying to Mykonos the next day he wrote us a long list on scrap paper of all the things he thought we would enjoy visiting. This guy's style should be used as a roll model for all Hilton hotels based at airports.

The breakfasts should be free to all guests. We could not easily find milk to put in our hot drinks and there should have been water at the table. It's not 4* service. The quality of the cooked section is not so much better than your average greasy spoon cafe... The cost for breakfast per head does not reflect the quality. My advice would be to go to M&S at the airport and find some nice sandwiches and opt-out of the breakfasts...

Return stay (23/08/14): So our return flight from Mykonos was massively delayed - plane was over-weight so they had to stop and refuel in Athens. Whilst on the tarmac when informed it was safe to do so, we tried to call reception at Hilton Gatwick to let them know we'd be arriving after midnight due to the delay. The first person my mother spoke to put her on hold and then cut her off. I then called and spoke to the operator at the hotel, who did not put us on hold and did not cut us off. She very professionally told us she would inform reception. We arrived late as expected and the check-in desk tried to force my mother and my auntie to share a double bed - we explained this was not acceptable and told them just how stressful it had been to actually attempt to inform them of our predicted delayed arrival. The manager gave us free breakfasts as compensation and may have upgraded our double room as it was in a more posh section of the building. But really, the breakfasts are not that great, they should have be free to all anyway, as I said earlier, the breakfasts are not so stunning to warrant having to pay for them! The explanation was that they didnt want to put my mother and auntie in a twin room which had a dent in the bathroom door (a very minor issue and non-prioritiy versus what would have been an uncomfortable night's sleep for them!) We then got to our rooms, the room my partner and I stayed in had no tea bags and we had to call room service to get them to bring some up, after all the chaos, (and being British!) a cup of tea was definitely urgently needed in the wee hours of the morning!

Overall: the rooms were clean, it was great to be able to walk through to the airport and not have to take a shuttle bus, the staff were generally polite and professional, but in terms of dealing with hiccups which are probably very commonly occurring at an airport hotel, I would rate their professionalism as zero to mediocre. You should not have to fight for a room after a long and delayed journey, perhaps they thought my mother and auntie were a same sex couple like my partner and I indeed were and therefore would be alright with a double bed, we were arriving from Mykonos after all... (I jest!!!) Perhaps we caught them on a busy night, but this is meant to be a 4* hotel at a high throughput airport and geared up to manage things like delayed flights (especially when guests call ahead to notify the front desk whilst their delayed plane is on the tarmac from their MOBILES incurring roaming costs!), the chaos with room allocation should not be something for hotel guests to sort out.

So things to improve I think. But please commend the restaurant staff for the excellent friendly personal service we experienced on our "outbound night". One of them (see above) definitely needs a promotion at some point!!!

Room Tip: Opt out of the paid breakfast and go to M&S in South Terminal instead for a nice sandwich, you will get better value for money.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cjkw2014
GuyHilton-GM, General Manager at Hilton London Gatwick south terminal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear cjkw2014,

Thank you for the review of our hotel which I thoroughly enjoyed reading and particularly in respect of Amy's and Spiros. He is indeed a very valued member of my team and I have taken great pleasure in passing on your comments to him.

Please though accept my apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused you and we will take your feedback on board to assist us in enhancing our service strategy.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us in the not too distant future.

Very best regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Internet didn't work and the trek to the rooms was a considerable challenge as we navigated many discarded room-service trays that were in the corridors. Good food in the restaurant was complimented by good wine & helpful waiting staff - all well and good if I was going on holiday. But we were guests as I had a business trip the following day - the lack of internet and effort involved in getting to the room left me feeling annoyed and disappointed. The rooms were clean, the corridors were not. I've marked the rooms below average simply because of the internet issue.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Manawyddan,

Thank you for your post and the good scores given.

I am delighted to confirm that the long awaited upgrade to WIFI here at the hotel is beginning and we expect this to dramatically enhance this service.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future when you feedback would be most appreciated then also!

Very best regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Perfectly situated for the terminal with zero noise
You'd never believe you're a stones throw from the airport
Booked a deal which included car parking and dinner
Dinner was buffet style and I have to be honest it was rather nice.
Lots of choice although the roast could have been a little hotter
The room was immaculate and the staff helpful

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TheItalianTopDog,

I was absolutely delighted to see the fantastic scores given and read your post and thank you so very much!