“Good, Convenient Option for Early/Late Flights”

Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good, Convenient Option for Early/Late Flights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed here twice in one week recently for early and late connections at Gatwick. There were some nice touches - most of the staff I spoke to were really friendly and on my second stay made a point of welcoming me back and informing me they had booked me into the same room.

Good Points :
Literally a stone's throw from North Terminal via covered walkway with quick access to South Terminal via monorail.
Clever design with rooms circling a grand central lobby. With lifts located at various points around the circle this minimises people walking past your room for those early morning flights.
Nice peaceful rooms - I had a view of the terminal and runway but thick windows meant I heard no noise whatsoever.

Look out for:
On receiving room service I noticed that as well as a tray charge (to be expected) on the bill there was also a 12% service charge added. This was not advised anywhere on the menu and took me over my maximum company allowance for dinner. As this was pre-printed on the bill it would have been pretty embarrassing to mention to the server. When I mentioned it at check out the receptionist did not seem very impressed I was asking for it to be removed. Overall room service was basic and over-priced so might be better to look at options in the terminals or try out one of the restaurants

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted that you had a comfortable stay and were able to get a peaceful nights sleep before your early morning flight. The 12.5% service charge we add to our bills is discretionary and can be removed at anytime. I do apologise in regards to your check-out experience and I have passed your comments to our Front of House Manager, who will be implementing additional retraining to prevent a similar occurrence from happening again.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries regarding a future stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick very soon.

Graham Hawksworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
Monmouthshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have stayed at the Sofitel, Gatwick north terminal ln 6 occasions. This has been at the beginning and end of our holidays to italy. The Sofitel was selected initially due to its proximity to the airport. I wanted a hotel close enough to be able to walk to north terminal and this is exactly what it provides. You are able to check in to the hotel and simply walk through a walkway from the hotel reception to check in baggage so the following day you avoid a long wait at the airport. Your holiday begins here in very well appointed rooms and the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. It is worth booking on line and paying fof the option that includes a voucher for a 2 course meal at the hotels restaurant. The hotel has several bars and restaurants all set around a central atrium.Some rooms are overlooking the atrium on the inside of the building
Others face outside, there is no noise from planes to disturb sleep. It is lovely to be able to shop in the terminal for last minute holiday buys the day before travel or to travel on the little train to south terminal. Food is superb in the restsurant especially the creme brulee.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane M
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent visit to our hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you found our accommodation and services to your satisfaction and the location of the hotel was convenient for access to the North Terminal.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be happy to assist you.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel London Gatwick on many future occasions.

Paphos, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

A short stop at Gatwick Airport and an early flight day after, Sofitel London is the perfect high standard choice, nice and friendly staff all over, clean and very comfortable room with wonderful beds "shame too few hours" simple Check-In/Check-Out, good selection at reasonable prices on food and drinks. Does everything for a relaxing short rest between flights.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerker H
We thank you for posting your comments relating to your most recent stay at the hotel. Guest feedback enables us to continually review our service delivery and standards and make changes wherever possible.

We are delighted that you had a pleasant and relaxing stay with us. Your comments will certainly serve as an encouragement to all of our staff to keep delivering the excellent service that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to you returning to the hotel and our Guest Relations Team can be contacted on H6204-GR@sofitel.com ahead of any future stay to assist with any specific requirements.

Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

First departure from north terminal - have only ever used south terminal and the hilton. This is a much nicer, newer hotel and certainly has the edge over Hilton - would certainly return, depending on flight departure time, might even use when using south terminal as I understand link between terminals is by monorail, therefore quick and easy. My moan would be that only one device per room is allowed to access free wifi - an absolute joke in this day and age and a disgrace given room charges!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 2 December 2013

With regards to the internet, as per our internet set up, only one device is assigned with your login details. For those who require internet access on the additional device, the access voucher can be obtained from reception. I apologise that this was not communicated to you at check-in and I have addressed this matter with our Front Office Manager.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Due to an early flight we decided to stay at Sofitel London Gatwick. We didn't want the stress of getting to the airport early on the Monday morning. I stayed here some years ago so I already knew how convenient this place is. The hotel is attached to the North Terminal so when you walk out of the hotel you're in front of the entrance... I'm pretty sure that last time I found myself actually in the terminal but maybe I went out the wrong exit or something? There were no signs suggesting which way to go, but even so it's extremely handy.

We received a free room upgrade (room 798) through Expedia, plus free drink tokens and 10% off food, which was a very pleasant surprise. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants but the bar food was quite pricey we thought, it's over £10 for just a sandwich with crisps.

Our room was a good size, spotlessly clean and quiet. I slept well but was disturbed by the couple who came back to their room in the middle of the night and started shouting at each other. Luckily this didn't go on too long and I went back to sleep again quickly.

We found a room rate of £87 which is pretty good value for this hotel. I recommend staying here if you have an early flight and just fancy a more relaxing start to your trip. Plus you've got the added bonus your holiday starts just that little bit earlier.

Iain, London

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted that you found our accommodation to your satisfaction and that you were pleased with our location. Our hotel is directly linked to the North Terminal by a short covered walkway which is located on the podium level, next to the escalators. In the last few years, the airport has undergone a total refurbishment and does look completely different to how you may have remembered it.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed overnight before early morning flight. As it was our honeymoon, the hotel upgrated us and the room was large, spacious and clean. The staff were welcoming and helpful. Well presented hotel, nice décor. The only thing we found was the food and drink was expensive. Overall nice hotel and convenient for Gatwick terminals.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsBeecham
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, 1 December 2013

We are glad that your stay was a comfortable and enjoyable start to your Honeymoon. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.