we stayed here overnight after a cancelled flight back home from the US, we purchased a bottle of wine at the main bar at 12.50am to take up to our room to drink (£29.80), the very nice bar man allowed us to sample the wine prior to ordering to make sure it was to our taste, we charged the wine to our roon , and adding a £2 tip, we ordered room service when we got to our room a pizza and a roast beef sandwich, (£30.05 which included a £2.50 tray charge) we tipped the waiter £2, we did express check out at 7.00am after having a quick breakfast, we had to have our B&B rate confirmed, as we were told that breakfast was extra for us!! the staff i cannot praise enough, polite, professional, and all had a smile to greet you with.
a few days after returning home we received our invoice, to our surprise, hidden charges added to the bar bill of £3.73 for service charge and a further £3.76 added to our room service, on telephoning as to why we were charged these extras , "its service charge sir" its on the bill you can have it removed it you say at the time of signing. Im afraid that with all the travelling, spending nearly 2 days about an airport, a 6 hour flight, an hours bus journey to the other side of London at 12 o'clock at night, lost luggage, the last thing i was checking was the added service charge, 12%, so why not point out there is a service charge as you sign the slip, remembering we handed over cash to the staff, or better still dont add it initially , advise to how much the 12% charge is and tick if you would like to add it. This way you arent tipping twice, this is how it was done in America for our stay there, because you can bet your bottom dollar the staff dont see the 12% of everything they serve and are ''tipped'' on.
This has left a sour taste in what up until now was a pleasent stay all be it brief, i for one will check the slips you automatically sign when charging to your room
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An established, four-star luxury hotel uniquely located within Gatwick Airport, Sofitel London Gatwick boasts world-class services and amenities, which include various dining options and extensive meeting and event facilities. The hotel offers eight-day or fifteen-day Park & Fly packages available at the airport the day before check in. The hotel is 30 minutes by Gatwick Express from central London and all its attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel London Gatwick reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel London Gatwick Hotel Crawley
- Sofitel Hotel London Gatwick
- Sofitel Hotel Crawley
- Sofitel Crawley
- Crawley Sofitel
- Gatwick London Sofitel
- Gatwick Hotel Sofitel
- Sofitel London Gatwick Crawley, West Sussex