“Very comfortable”

Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed one night because we had an early flight the next morning. For us checking in was quick and easy(queues did build up later). We were informed that the hotel was fully booked and we woul need to book for the restaurant if required.
We were upgraded to a suite on the top floor which was excellent in every way.
During the evening we ate in the Bistro(no booking required). We have a nice meal at a price you would expect.
In the morning we used the express checkout and were in the airport on 5 mins

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and were able to relax before your early morning flight.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be happy to assist you.

Graham Hawksworth

Write a ReviewReviews (8,381)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel was easy to find from shuttle train, and so convenient! Good check in experience; with a comfortable room. Good choice of places to eat and drink and menus clearly displayed to help in the choice. The room was clean and comfortable with good facilities, I had a great airport view! Really great start to my break! I will definitely stay here again before flying and recommend to others. The bed was extremely comfortable, especially the pillows.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and will certainly pass your comments onto our ambassadors as I am sure that this will encourage them to keep up the hard work.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Met at this hotel for a meeting, stayed one night and used the meeting faciliyies next day.
All OK for us but difficult to get a table to eat in the evening. One of teh group arrived about 6-30 pm and was hungry, no tables in the restaurant until 8-30 but fine outside in the open area.
Food was excellent but felt sorry for the folks we were watching in the quite long check in queue!
Meeting room was fine and staff and service excellent.
Room was good with an exceptionally comfy bed...bit subjective that one!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found our meeting facilities convenient. I do apologise regarding the difficulties you had trying to make a dinner reservation. On the night in question we were extremely busy and tried to have everyone seated as quick as we could.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel before a early flight out of the South Terminal, we did queue at the reception for quite a while, however once the check in was achieved, we went to our room. Very clean, spacious and the bed was so comfortable with feathered pillows. One of the best beds i've ever stayed in, in a hotel. Tea/coffee facilities, flat screen TV, air con and heating.

We tried the bar facilities only - VERY EXPENSIVE DRINKS! But thats noting unusual for airport hotel.
Only one issue we had was that at 6am the following morning, a member of staff knocked on our door then entered the room. It was obviously a mistake, and apologised.
But apart from that, I would stay here again, the good nights sleep makes up for it all.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front of the hotel away from the monorail.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

I was delighted to hear that you had a comfortable and relaxing stay before your early morning flight. I do apologise about the disturbance you experienced and will certainly pass your comments onto the relevant department manager for additional retraining.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

When the Sofitel London Gatwick is quiet it is fine. The bedrooms are comfortable, the public areas impersonal but classy and the service usually first class.
What a shambles last night. I had booked a 'room only' at a hefty price and arrived to be faced with a queue to check in approaching an hour. It was chaos and the Concierge and his assistants were just stood there not even explaining to customers what the delay was. I thought I would go for a drink whilst the queue subsided but there wasn't a table available anywhere and wait times for a table in the restaurant were in excess of an hour.
When I eventually checked in I went to the room to be faced with my pet hate 'twin beds'. Back to Reception only to be told in somewhat muted tones to 'get lost, take it or leave it'. By now I was fuming so took it as it had been a very long day.
I unpacked and went to the bar where service was non existent and amateurish to say the least. I queued for about 10 minutes and had to remind one of the six people who were clueless that I wanted a drink. I was given my glass of house wine at an over the top price of almost £8 and went to find a rare seat, only to see ton my receipt hat they had the audacity to charge me a 12% service charge for doing absolutely nothing other than raising my blood pressure. I was so incensed that I did something I rarely do and called a waiter to ask for my £1 back as this just exemplified my experience from the moment I set foot through their door.
Unless I am desperate, it will be the last time I stay at the Sofitel, preferring the much more reasonably priced and efficient Premier Inn across the road. Admittedly it doesn't have the finer touches but I find it difficult to imagine they would have faced me with the fiasco I experienced!
Sofitel management should be ashamed of themselves for giving their guests the awful experience they did last night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob1949

I sincerely apologise for the time it took to check-in and to be seated in our La Terrasse bar. Unfortunately on the night in question, we were extremely busy due to the adverse weather conditions that had hit Gatwick Airport, however our Front desk team tried to process everyone through to their rooms as quickly as possible. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

All of our service charges are discretionary. If you are not satisfied with the level of service you have received or choose not to pay then, the staff can remove it from your bill upon request.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be able to assist you with any questions or queries.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Overnighted at this hotel on our return from Cape Town as our onward flight was next day. Just perfect for our needs. Quiet, clean and very comfortable, we were allowed into the room early because the receptionist could see we were tired from our long flight. Great concierge service with our baggage both on arrival and departure. Good bar/café service for a quick bite. So convenient at only two minutes' walk into North Terminal. The only drawback was our meal at the Oriental Restaurant in the evening. The food was cold (when it eventually arrived) and inedible. The maitre d' apologised and rectified our bill accordingly but we were left hungry and very annoyed. This didn't detract however from our overall opinion of the hotel itself and we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the courtyard could have been gloomy for some but the weather was so bad I doub...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

I was delighted that you had a comfortable stay and our Reception team were able to accommodate you early after your long flight.

I must apologise for your experience in our Gatwick Oriental Restaurant and have passed your comments onto the Restaurant Manager to implement further retraining of his team.