“Perfect solution for a stress-free early flight”

Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Sofitel gave us a very comfortable night's stay ahead of an early flight from the North Terminal. The convenience of having just a short walk straight into the terminal gave us valuable extra time in the morning, so we could start the journey relaxed after a good night's sleep.
The hotel has a pleasant atmosphere, high standards, and good service, so our stay there became an enjoyable bonus part of our holiday. Our room had all we needed, and a good view of the airport too. We would really recommend it, to avoid the stress and extra time of an early drive from home to the airport if you have an early departure. For the quality of the hotel, and all it offered, it was great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent visit to our hotel.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and your visit was a stress free way to kick start your holiday!

If you happen to have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on guestrelations@sofitelgatwick.com and they will be happy to assist you.

Graham Hawksworth

Write a ReviewReviews (8,388)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had stayed at the Sofitel before and booked for the night before our early flight out.
We had to change from a pre-booked park & fly package to room only and the local staff (unlike the central Sofitel people) were very accommodating in changing our reservation.
When we arrived we were met by a porter and our cases were transported up to reception.
The reception staff were friendly, booked us in efficiently and reserved us a table for dinner.
We were in room 577, which has an internal view only, which was of adequate size for a one night stay. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. There was a crack in the washbasin in the bathroom and the safe is on the floor - which could pose problems for anyone with mobility problems.To operate the shower over the bath you had to press the plunger DOWN rather than UP (as is the convention) which might explain why the unit was loose and becoming detached from the wall.
We had a very good meal in Le Brasserie - quite expensive, but good quality and service - point of detail, the windows needed cleaning.
Overall though a very good hotel which we will use again for Gatwick airport trips.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and were able to relax in our La Brasserie restaurant for your evening meal.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I always start my holiday off with a stay at the sofitel and look forward to it with great pleasure , sadly this stay Monday march 17th my eighth) was a huge let down . The hotel situation remains the best there is for location , rooms are spotlessly clean but the service side of things was very poor on this visit . Waited to check in , and although I was first in the queue when another receptionist came to assist and logged on to her computer a man stepped out of the queue behind me and walked up to her and rather than tell him there was a queue she started to assisting , had I not protested she would have checked him in leaving me standing there like a lemon,
When she did check me in despite my having emailed ahead requesting a runway view room and having this confirmed to me and being a returning guest , and an Accor card member when I got to my room it was right next to the shuttle to the south terminal - possibly the worst location in the hotel.
When I returned to reception to get the room changed I was ably assisted by a young lady Eleni? A trainee who was very helpful and friendly and put me in the room that I had originally requested.
In the room there was no milk for tea and when I rang housekeeping for milk the lady who answered the phone barked at me "look in the fridge ", which I had already done ,and told her this she then said she would bring some , and of course didn't , meaning another phone call half an hour later to get it .
To cap it all off the sink in the bathroom didn't drain AT ALL , surely housekeeping had noticed this when cleaning, why didn't they report it .
None of these problems are major problems but they meant that the usual sofitel experience of feeling cosseted and looked after simply did not exist .I felt like I was in the premier inn just over the road rather than staying in a luxury hotel .
The only staff that I encountered that were of the correct standard ( apart from Eleni) were the concierge and bellboys who were a pleasure to deal with and extremely pleasant and helpfull.
With the premier inn just over the way the thing that sets the sofitel apart is it's service and this was sadly lacking on this stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

I was very disappointed to hear of the difficulties you experienced during your stay. Please rest assured that your comments have been passed to our Front of House Manager and the additional retraining put into place to ensure that a similar occurrence does not happen again. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on guestrelations@sofitelgatwick.com and they will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

One short overnight stay for an early flight the next morning. The room (Classic) had a king size bed which was very comfortable, it was spotlessly clean and quality complimentary toiletries were provided. Our room was very quiet and the temperature was fine. Check in and check out was quick and efficient, staff were friendly and helpful. A short walk later and we were in the north terminal. The only downside was the cost when compared to the Premier Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I was delighted that you had a comfortable stay and were able to relax before your early morning flight.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries regarding a future stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on guestrelations@sofitelgatwick.com and they will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on an overnight trip back from Africa, on arriving into the main atrium the hotel looks impressive, reception staff were helpful and efficient, check in was smooth and we took the lift up to the fourth floor to our room. Room was spotless clean, disappointingly small and incredible hot! The heat in the room was not resolved by the air conditioning either when we attempted to set the temperature low but given we checked in at 23:30 and were checking out at 09:00 and we were both exhausted after a long trip back to the UK we decided to just "get on with it". Bed was okay, clean linen, pillows tad uncomfortable but overall passable. The hotel did not supply any complimentary bottle water (unlike the Hilton at Gatwick which does), so given the heat in the room it was disappointing this basic added value touch was overlooked. Our room was on the side of the hotel opposite the Premier Inn and unfortunately it was positioned extremely close to the North <> South terminal shuttle train which I think runs all night every 5 minutes or so, as the train arrives into the terminal it is noisy and this was far from ideal in helping achieve a good night's sleep. To be honest I personally had a dreadful night’s sleep this is not necessarily attributable to the hotel directly but the heat and noise did not help. Checkout next morning was again efficient and smooth. Overall have to say the hotel looks great but I think there are other hotels situated within a very close proximity to the airport that offer better value for money and I suspect a better sleep quality. Certainly the Hilton did when we stayed there on the journey out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the North <> South terminal shuttle service, the service is ever...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I was very disappointed to hear that some aspects of your stay were not to your satisfaction. Bottled water is available upon request and is stocked in our Superior and Luxury rooms. We have a Duty Manager throughout the day and night and had they been aware of your concerns could have rectified them for you. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I hope that you will give us another chance to better serve you and we hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick very soon.