“Good choice before you fly”

Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed recently on a park and fly package the night before an early morning flight. Parked easily , handed in keys, checked in and stayed in a very pleasant room, clean , and a very comfortable bed. Had a good meal, staff very courteous .Returned a week later and within minutes had our keys and the car was still in the same bay that we left it in. A very good service all round and will definitely repeat the experience.
Please can someone tell me who painted the artwork on the walls by the park and fly reception area....I have been trying to find out but to no avail....I love it and would like to purchase....!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2016

Bonjour Silverfox026,

Guest Relations Department

Write a ReviewReviews (8,381)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed on a Saturday evening prior to a flight on Sunday morning. We took advantage of the car parking option, but saved money by booking through an agent (Holidayextras.com) rather than directly with the hotel. we also took the dinner and breakfast options, which save money compared to paying as you go.
A big advantage for this hotel is that you park your car in the hotel car park, and then just walk into the hotel, without the frustration of waiting for buses, etc, both when going and coming back. Your car keys are kept by the hotel and you collect them from reception upon your return.
The rooms are typical of a large hotel, but if you can get an outside room they are larger and much brighter.
The food was good, although drinks were quite expensive, which is as you'd expect due to its location.
There is a direct covered link from the hotel to the North Terminal (approx. 100 metres)
We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years, and although not the cheapest hotel in the area, it is by far the most convenient for Gatwick North, and we would use it again.

Room Tip: Outside rooms are larger and brighter

Bonjour Tonytourguide,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

2nd time we've stayed at Sofitel, however this was the 1st time we used their park & fly package. I'm glad we did not only was it very competitive for £200 it was run very efficiently - it is slightly confusing where to drop your car off so let me give you a heads up on how to go about it - follow the signs to Sofitel (you can actually see the hotel from afar due to its size) then as you turn the corner get straight into the right hand side lane because as soon as you turn the corner the little lay-bye is upon you. It looks like it's for coaches (it doubles up as a temporary coach rest for the hotel) but don't let put you off, you will see a employee stood outside the front door, stop your car give him/her your suitcases & they'll take them inside. You drop your car off around the corner & come back to where you left your suitcases to check your car keys in etc. easy peasy. Waited around 60 seconds to get booked in & the employee remembered that I'm an Accours member (I emailed them before hand to link my stay with my card) & duly mentioned that my points for the stay will be added. Nice touch. I also emailed them with some specific instructions on the room I wanted bearing in mind our alarms were set for 2.30am! Again I was made aware of this by the employee (away from monorail & lifts). As we arrived about 4ish we decided to go into the departure lounge to see when we could put our luggage in hold (Easyjet allow this for their flights before 8.30am). Told by Easyjet employee that we could after 8.30pm. Great! Decided to have a walk they thru the airport & stumbled across a few restaurants - as we were hungry & the footy hadn't started yet (lol) we had a meal & drink. Walked back to the hotel which is a under cover tunnel 2 mins away & settled down to the footy. TV has the facility for a wake up call & we set it up & it worked a treat the following morning. We were also told by the receptionist that there is a envelope next to the bed which we can fill in for a Express Check-out & seeing as time was of the essence the following morning we filled it in the night before & when we went back to the reception the following morning we just slotted the envelope in a box near the reception & went on our way. One of the lifts were broken so we used the 2 lifts on the other side as the one we had previously used was understandably always full. No dramas. The bed itself was very very comfortable, very large too. My wife commented that the room was spotless & the view of the planes landing/taking off we're spectacular (that another request I made prior to our visit). Wifi was ok, not great but as it was free you can't knock it. The receptionist asked how many devices we had (2) & duly gave us an additional code so both could use this facility. I'm doing the receptionist a dis-service by not remembering her name because she was magnificent! Finally there was a mini fridge in the room which we used to put our drinks inside. Magnifico! You can't go wrong for the service in this hotel & the whole ambience was buzzing with holidaymakers. We'll be back for our 3rd visit next year!

Room Tip: Away from monorail & lift with a runway view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Dean00_0,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback relating to your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and the location of the hotel was convenient to catch your early morning flight.

I will certainly pass your kind comments onto our ambassadors as I am sure that this will encourage them to keep up the hard work!

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick very soon.

Kind regards,

James Berry

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Have used the hotel before and it never disappoints.
As I am an Accord Platinum member we were lucky enough to be given a room upgrade which allowed use of the Exec Lounge which was lovely.
Had a superb meal at the Gatwick Oriental in the hotel---lovely food.
The room was excellent with fantastic view over the runway and the bed was extremely comfortable.
A very pleasant experience which started the holiday wonderfully.
Highly recommended.

Bonjour Ianinwinchester,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

As we had an early morning flight we decided to travel the day before and stay at the Sofitel. We had an executive room which was on the top floor, overlooking part of the runway. Large windows made a good view of planes coming into land.

We had a free mini bar and access to the club lounge where drinks and canapés were also complimentary, yes we paid extra for the room so in theory these aren't free but it was a nice touch which we enjoyed.

A couple of negatives, no bottle opener to open the beer bottles in the mini bar and no hairdryer, I could have contacted house keeping and I'm sure there would have been delivered but really this wasn't a major problem, so didn't take up this option.

The restaurants, and there are a few to choose from, were a little expensive, so we didn't use any of them, to be honest after sampling the canapés and drinks in the lounge we found we didn't feel the need to find somewhere for a meal.

Yes you can stay cheaper at the airport, and this hotel is right in the North Terminal, but if you fancy something a bit extra stay at the Sofitel, I would certainly book again.

Room Tip: For something a little bit special upgrade to an executive too.

Bonjour Debjh,

Reviewed 3 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Sofitel the night before an early flight, in combination with Mapel Manor parking. Check-in was easy and quick, and I had the option of paying for any extras 'as I go' or by registering my credit card. I opted for the latter. The room, on the fourth floor, was small but perfectly adequate. Entry to the room was via key card that also worked the lights. We had a Queen sized bed, which was very comfortable, four pillows, a huge mirror, safe, fridge, TV and a well equipped bathroom with free toiletries. We also had a HUGE picture window that overlooked the car park and runway. It was very quiet and there was no noise disturbance at all.

The bars and restaurants are very expensive. We ate in the Urban Cafe, food was tasty but over priced. Also - why is no bread offered? They also didn't have the wine I ordered. I did, however, like being able to sign everything I ordered to the room.

We slept well, the shower was powerful and the towels big and fluffy. I was able to check my bill and check out via the TV the next morning.

Despite the high cost of food and drink we enjoyed our brief stay and would stay here again.

1  Thank Vicky G