“Best Hotel at the airport”

Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Conveniently located so that you just walk over to he North Terminal. Lovely, clean, spacious rooms. Surprisingly quiet, lots of people coming and going, great place to people watch would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I would choose a room looking into the quadrant for quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Sofitel_LGW, Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2016

Bonjour Familyfun05cheshire,

Guest Relations Department

Write a ReviewReviews (8,092)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I am a much travelled customer through Gatwick, This hotel used to be great, sadly it has slipped badly, arrived late (11pm) after a long and delayed flight, had an executive room with club access - this was closed, no mini bar and no food at this time. The bar did eventually get us 2 drinks, £26 for 2!
The room was fusty, tired and lacked toiletries and I was left asking where is the executive part here, the ac was noisy and did not work well. Morning breakfast struggled to get a quick coffee, no take away option before getting an early start for central London meeting.
The final sting was to charge an EXTRA £16 for parking my hire car for 6 hours! No Wifi access working, and no help with luggage - Front desk manager was rude and arrogant and said that was these were policies, the whole thing nothing executive, none of my colleagues will now use this hotel simply because of arrogance and this is a premium price with little or no service and standards slipped badly.

Room Tip: Use another hotel in gatwick
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank AngeliaJolie

Bonjour AngeliaJolie,

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent hotel when you've got an early flight. Rooms are spacious and comfortable,. You'd think that it would be noisy overlooking the runway but no, well insulated and very quiet indeed. There's a corridor form the hotel to the North terminal so about 10 mins walk - perfect. Food and drink is quite expensive but you can't have everything.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jimmy T
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Bonjour JimmyT,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I was very happy to hear that you found the location of the hotel convenient for access into the North Terminal and you were able to have a comfortable nights stay prior to your flight.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Over the years I have stayed at the Sofitel at LGW over 30 times. It's very convenient for us to be able to be right at North terminal for morning flights; no stress, wake up and walk straight into the departure lounge; ( more or less!) Typically the rooms are good, linens are comfortable and even the main restaurant is good, which is rare for an airport hotel! All in all it's been very good, until today.......
I check in at 12.30, I am greeted by a rude, robotic, front desk woman, who informs me, after I have been flying for the last 11 hours, that check in time is at 1400 hrs and if I want to check in sooner, I will have to pay an additional 30GBP, she then tells me it's "new policy as of 2nd July"! This is outrageous, it's an airport hotel and you should always be able to checking somewhat earlier! How can they have the audacity to try this on??? I am not at all impressed; it looks as if I will now become a customer of the Gatwick, Hilton; a shame, but I won't pay the extra 30 GBP just out of principle!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Antiguamon

Bonjour Antiguamon,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I only stayed here because of an early flight, and I used my points to redeem an almost-free night (I think I ended up paying £6 overall!), so Sofitel was pretty much the only choice if I wanted to keep things cheap.
However, it's a fine hotel, not as new as the Sofitel at Heathrow T5, but up to the usual Sofitel standards: ruthlessly clean, well-designed and quiet rooms (no airport or motorway noise at all), charming and pleasant staff.
I didn't use any of the restaurants or facilities as I was only there for one night, but I would recommend this just for the convenience of being so close to the airport... you walk along one tunnel and you're in departures. It certainly makes those early morning flights more palateable, and you're pretty much guaranteed a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: You'll sleep fine in any room, trust me.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jim F
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Bonjour Jim F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyably quiet stay and that you were able to utilize your well earned Le Club points towards your accommodation. It is always nice to hear that our guests are benefitting from our reward program.

Kind regards,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went with my sister to stay over night as she was catching a very early flight!!
We had a very long journey in the train from Swindon as it was delayed and went very slowly and...etc, etc. We arrived at he Sofitel around 7:30, they didn't have an early restaurant available to reserve so we had decided to eat in the room, but... we came down for before dinner drinks and had been looking forward to having a nice Caipirigna, but.... They had NO Cashaca. We had to decide on a Mojito instead, very well made but... NOT what we had been looking forward to. How can a hotel like this have NO Cashaca? We had left out things in the room and the TV and Air con worked but we had no light. We phoned downstairs when we returned and they fixed it very quickly, a very nice and apologetic service man.
After a very nice dinner we had decided we'd have some Port, can you believe that at 9:30 pm they had run out of Port? in a hotel like the Sofitel? We did let them know in the morning we were disappointed and did get a bit of a discount but.... We were NOT impressed!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HermanandSandra

Bonjour HermanandSandra,

Thank you for posting your comments relating to your most recent stay at the hotel.
I am very happy to hear that although you did encounter some problems during your stay you were well looked after, and our ambassadors were able to rectify the problem you encountered in your room to your expectation.

With regards to the shortages of liquors you experienced, unfortunately due to unexpected high demand for these items we were unable to fulfil your requests. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. Your feedback enables us to continually review our service delivery and standards.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations team on guestrelations@sofitelgatwick.com and they will be happy to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel London Gatwick.