“Excellent Value”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Aberdeenshire
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Managed to get an excellent deal for this hotel - 2 rooms for £168 for 2 nights - amazing value at £42 per room per night.
Spotless room and staff very nice and efficient. My husband says he was woken by trains - I didn't hear anything.
Did not try breakfast as very expensive. If you have a car and don't mind -drive to the nearest Sainsbury (2mins away) and get an excellent full english breakfast for £4.00. For supermarket standards this has been the best I have ever had - had to literally wait till someone cooked it but worth it.

Room Tip: Room 548 and 544 are next to railway line. Didn't bother me but my husband says it woke him up f...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
janlensen, Manager at Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear AberdeenshireHay,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your most recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that you found your room spotless and our staff to be very nice and efficient.

I would recommend the Palm Deli if you are looking for more value for money in terms of breakfast. We have a large selection of pastries and croissants to chose from at an affordable price.

We hope you will select our hotel the next time you travels require you to come to Crawley.

Best Regards,
Normann Hauck
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
County Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

What a great hotel we stayed here for one night but as we had a late flight they kept our luggage at the hotel until eight that evening,The room was modern and the bed was very comfortable ,reception staff were very helpful. we just missed the hotel airport shuttle so got a taxi to airport only 3 pound in the difference from hotel.this is a beautiful hotel great seating area to relax with a waterfall so relaxing.If in crawley again i will use this hotel again...Shopping mall just down the road crawley town a 10 min walk..

Gibraltar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our stay on 17 Aug, was marred by a political remark passed by one of the waitresses upon leaving the Gallucci Restaurant at the hotel after having had a pleasant and enjoyable meal.

This type of comment is unnecesary and offensive and unfortunately lowers the rating from excellent to very good.

On our second visit 24 Aug we decided to have our meal at the bar/restaurant, I believe it is called Morgans Bar, to avoid confronting this person.

Room Tip: No complaints about the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank James N
Gosport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

The accommodation was very good lovely sleep. Evening meal was included in the price, but the menu was economy, so upgraded to main extra £26 meal cooked to perfection. Staff were very helpful. The shuttle bus was extra £6 to South Terminal.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Paul R
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed at the Arora for one night prior to flying out of Gatwick the next day. Check in was easy and pleasant; the reception staff were very welcoming and polite. The room was clean and modern. For this stay we were placed in an outside room at the 'atrium' part of the building. These rooms are older than the newer rooms in the 'west wing' but have a larger shower. The air conditioning in the room works really well and kept the room cool on a 30'c day. We could not open the window due to the noise from the nearby train station, but the trains do not run throughout the night.
The refrigerator in the room is more like a cooler. It does not get very cold at all, certainly not enough to keep some beers and wine chilled in there.
I take two clear bags to use as ice buckets, to fill up the bathroom sink with ice to keep my drinks ice cold. I just noticed a sign on the ice machine saying you can get a bucket from room service.
There is lots of seating in the 'atrium' to relax and unwind in the evening. Very comfy leather chairs and sofa's, and the groovy hand chairs! Drinks from the palm deli bar are expensive but they offer a good selection and service. There is however a poor selection of food available at the deli. More food options are available in the Pub but I noticed the prices were higher for the exact same items available at the deli.
The rooms are very well sound proofed, and the beds are extremely soft and comfortable owing to a very good nights sleep. I am a bit curious however that the doors to the rooms, and the bathrooms are about an inch too short leaving quite a noticeable gap.
The breakfast costs £15.95, sounds quite expensive but was excellent. It consists of a full continental and English breakfast buffet. Toast and tea/coffee is brought directly to your table by the servers. There is plenty of food to choose from; cereals, fruits, meats, breads, cheeses, and the typical fry up! All you can eat, so I filled my boots for the long day ahead.
The shuttle bus service to the airport has been replaced by a bus service. £3.50 each or £6 for two people, reasonable I guess and certainly a lot cheaper than a taxi.
Overall, a fantastic stay at an absolutely fantastic hotel. The Arora far exceeds any other hotel in the local area for service, quality, and value for money.
Always book in advance and take advantage of their special deals.
Can't wait to return in 11 weeks when we fly out of Gatwick again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank klingon911
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Having stayed at the Aurora Hotel in January this year, and found it to be extremely good, I decided to treat my daughter and her boyfriend to a room with dinner prior to their early flight over the bank holiday weekend- Oh how I wish I hadn't! Having made the reservation by internet, I called the hotel to make absolutely sure that my daughter would not have to pay any extra on check-in. I was told by Anna on reservations that I couldn't do the booking without giving all details of my credit card including the 3 digit security number on a form which they emailed to me together with photostats of my driving licence and both sides of the card. She informed me that I could then post it all back to her at the hotel. I refused to do this as I obviously didn't wan't to put this kind of information in an envelope. It was decided that I would fax all the information which I did yesterday afternoon. By the way,I had an awful job of understanding her thick accent and she tended to mumble- not a good telephone manner at all. I had to ask her to repeat herself on many occasions.
Thinking that all was well this morning I received a phone call from only what I could describe as surly and officious lady called Olga. She told me that the photostats of the card and driving licence were not 'good enough' and 'told'me to redo them. Her manner was a disgrace.
She also told me that if I wasn't happy that she would cancel the reservation. What was ostensibly a treat for my daughter was turning into an un-necessarily unpleasant event. Olga told me that they had no proof that I was the credit card holder. I asked her to put the card through as pre-payment for the full amount but she refused.
I then called Holiday Extras, made another booking at a different hotel in minutes and they were charming. I then spoke to the reservations manager Debbie who was extremely apologetic and cancelled my reservation at the Aurora. I note from other recent reviews that the reservation/reception staff are somewhat offhand and I agree. I will not be returing to the Aurora, which is a shame as the hotel itself is good- just a shame about their welcome commitee.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SUSAN G
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We had a package including the room the night before our flight and holiday parking. The hotel is very modern and our room was well equipped, air conditioned, spacious and clean. We did not eat in the hotel as the food seemed overpriced even for a hotel, but there is a selection of places to eat within walking distance. The hotel seemed fairly busy but the restaurant was nearly empty.

We went into the hotel pub, themed as a sports bar. It is devoid of atmosphere and felt cold due to excessive air conditioning. There was only one draft beer, Worthington from a keg, which was disappointing. Surely a hotel of this type can serve some decent real ale? Anyway despite the bar being very quiet we were only allowed to stay until 9pm as our teenage kids are under 18.

We then had a drink in the main atrium area at the Palm Bar. Again, no choice of beer, take or leave the keg Worthington. It is difficult to get served, the staff keep disappearing and only work very slowly when they are there. The bar prices are expensive. A pint and three small cokes was £11.30. Still it is a pleasant place to sit.

We did not have breakfast, again due to the price. I did not feel inclined to pay £65 or thereabouts for breakfast for the four of us so we decided to wait until we got to the airport.

Good points, nice hotel, good spacious family rooms, holiday parking worked well.

Minus points, price of food and drink, bus to airport only hourly.

We would stay again.